By an edhat subscriber

I've been looking for a decent satchel/purse/messenger bag for men and am hitting a brick wall. There are myriad satchels/purses/messenger bags for guys online, but (a) I want to see close-up what I'm getting, and (b) I prefer buying locally. I've been to all the obvious places—Macy's, Nordstrom, H&M, REI, and several smaller retailers—but the supply of what I want is nonexistent. I don't mind spending up to a couple of hundred dollars, but first I've got to FIND something.

Do any Edhatters know where I might be able to find a guy-purse in the South County/Ventura-Oxnard area? Thank you!

bradleybennett Nov 06, 2017 03:53 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Have you looked at Makesmith leather? It's all really cool hand-crafted leather goods. All locally made by a 3rd generation leather crafter. Not sure if he has messenger bags, but definitely worth a look as it's super cool stuff. They just moved into a new location on E. De La Guerra St. near Warbler records.

REX OF SB Nov 06, 2017 09:28 AM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, while many of the businesses mentioned carry handbags, they have few, if any, choices for men. I'd thought of going to Coach, but I'd feel funny carrying a purse that cost more than my car. I really miss Crispin Leather and Lindy's Luggage. The Sunday beach arts & crafts show sounds like a great idea. I'm also going to check out your recommendations of the luggage store in La Cumbre Plaza and Patagonia in Ventura. All the others mentioned I've already tried. Thank you all again!

angus Nov 05, 2017 03:33 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Yes as a couple people mentioned CircaTerra Travel Outfitters (formerly Magellan's) in Loreto Plaza next to Renaud's cafe has men's shoulder bags - leather and nylon styles.

Goodland Momma Nov 05, 2017 02:45 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

It's been a while, but I remember seeing some at the travel store between Renaud's and Chaucer's in the Gelson's shopping center...

a-1511225133 Nov 05, 2017 09:45 AM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

There is a Coach leather store at 808 State Street. Crispin leather is looooong gone.

Flicka Nov 05, 2017 08:58 AM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

There used to be a wonderful leather store, Crispins (I think), in the 1st block of W. Anapamu. I used to shop there MANY years ago. Have no idea if it still exists.

1984 Nov 05, 2017 08:16 AM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Amazon, E-Bay , target, k-mart, sears, and remember the more the man the more the leather.

tagdes Nov 05, 2017 09:00 AM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

They said they've found a myriad on line and the would prefer to buy local...to me that would sort of rule out Amazon and E-bay.

Georgi Nov 05, 2017 07:42 AM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Check out - j.irle on Instagram. A local artisan/crafts - women who does incredible work.

1984 Nov 04, 2017 10:54 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Actually I found mine in the middle of the street in front of the Court House about 28 years ago. Lap top fits perfectly .

420722 Nov 04, 2017 08:54 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Op-try circa terra or the handbag and luggage store on lower chapala near Haley. I checked the website and from the pics it looks like they definitely have some.

915films Nov 04, 2017 07:26 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

edhat - Please reverse the ridiculous policy of totally deleting comments you find offense or go to a full-on nanny approach and delete the entire relate thread.

MountainMan4865 Nov 04, 2017 07:12 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Rex, I bet there are ten people in this town that would make you a custom man-purse/bag, that would be awesome for close to the same price. Stick to your guns. They will appear.

a-1511225133 Nov 04, 2017 06:23 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

Boutique stores? There's one near Blue Owl that might have some options, also check out the pop up shops in the gallery inside/next to Topa Topa brewing. There used to be a leather goods space that had some really great unisex accessories.

ladylagomorph Nov 04, 2017 06:07 PM
Where to Buy a Man's Purse?

There is a luggage store in the La Cumbre mall, (I hope it's still there!) It's on the right side as you walk from Macy's toward Sears. They are well stocked, have beautiful cases, purses, satchels, and are nice sales people! I really enjoy the store!