By Bird

There's a yellow jacket nest in the parkway in front of my house. It's underground and the wasps fly in and out during the day. It's on the street side, in a clump of vegetation. Today, I got some spray insecticide at Home Improvement, but one's supposed to aim at the burrow entrance from 20' away on a cool/cold night. It's impossible to do that because of the vegetation --- and because of parked cars. I'd have to stand pretty much right over it, which is not recommended! The only real concern about it is that it is on the walking route to Franklin School --- relevant also because the kids daily toss uneaten food in the area; that's probably attracted them.

I am wondering what to do --- or is this something that the City, which owns the parkway, takes care of. And, if so, whom to contact?

For info about yellow jackets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

a-1538516825 Oct 02, 2018 02:47 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Thanks for the comments! The burrow is not accessible to a hose; another suggestion was dumping soapy water down the hole, but I am concerned about just a bucket-full and that some would survive. So, a friend pointed a spray can for wasps directly at the burrow entrance and then covered it with dirt. That, done at night, should have done the job but there are still some flying about, I heard from a neighbor. Not doing anything is not a viable option: Not only are there school children, but cars park along the street --- and even just one yellow jacket buzzing and biting (and then stinging, they do both) a driver going 25 mph or any speed, really, is to be avoided. I'll look for another burrow entrance.... I mentioned the city because the parkway in front of one's house belongs to the city, in part -- and they can tell you what you can't have there and also plant street trees. I am guessing that the homeowner is responsible if there's a hazard. ...Whatever, I am attempting to eliminate the problem.

Flicka Oct 01, 2018 09:03 AM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

"Just leave them alone" was not an option I was willing to do when little 3-5 year old grandkids were repeatedly being bitten/stung. I would have used water to get rid of them if I'd known about it.

MountainMan4865 Sep 30, 2018 11:38 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Wasps, or paper wasps are a totally different thing. They are great, and really good at sharing space.

MountainMan4865 Sep 30, 2018 11:32 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Yellow Jackets bit AND sting.... and they can sting you until the cows come home. And unless you've ever accidentally come across one of their nests... you don't get to talk about this. I got stung over 20 times, in one shot, running for four blocks. They were in my hair, in my clothes, in my socks. I still had five or so tangled in my hair and one in my sock, repeatedly stinging me half an hour later. They are not to be screwed with. I am a 'grown up'. Not a small child walking to school. My body, thankfully, could take it.

a-1538358483 Sep 30, 2018 06:48 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

I had a nest of Yellowjackets right next to my driveway. Strangely, the insects would only sting me (occasionally) but never the guy that was working on my property, rebuilding a deck railing right near their nest. As previous commenter did, I used water and that got rid of them right away. They decided to move to drier ground. The stings are nothing compared to Honeybee stings pain-wise and, yes, Yellowjackets can and will bite. Look it up. No pesticides. That's my recommendation, too. Use water.

mtndriver Sep 30, 2018 09:05 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

My experience of the stings is that they are worse than honeybee stings, and the pain can return suddenly every once in a while for days or weeks.

d8vanilla Sep 30, 2018 05:59 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Just leave them alone...... humans just love to KILL & destroy everything they come in contact with. They pollinate trees & plants..... just leave them alone .

ParvoPup Sep 30, 2018 09:09 PM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Uhh - No. Might want to retake that Biology course. Wasps , yellow jackets and meat bees do not feed on pollen. They either kill or scavenge protein for their food.

a-1538333247 Sep 30, 2018 11:47 AM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Oh, and by the way: Yellowjacket bites/stings don't hurt nearly as much as a bee sting and certainly don't cause the antihistamine itchy reaction that most of us have from a bee sting. Contact The City and watch them eradicate the nest. Poor insects just trying to make a living, but go ahead and have them all killed for being too close to your house.

a-1538333011 Sep 30, 2018 11:43 AM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Or you could do what I did, which is to wait until late at night and stick a garden hose into the entrance and flood the nest. The Yellowjackets won't like it and next season you will have nothing to worry about with them. I really, REALLY wish people would stop resorting to pesticides every single time a bug bothers them. Avoid the area, use water to combat them and don't poison your environment, please.

MountainMan4865 Sep 30, 2018 11:05 AM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

Out of desperation and a little inspiration from Rube Goldberg, we ended up using 3-4' of PVC pipe and a half gallon of liquid detergent, preferably something on the 'earth-friendly' side. (You can dilute it a bit). Stick one end of the pipe down the hole and pour away. The... soapy-ness smothers them. The last time we had to do it, it sounded like a jet engine was coming in for a crash landing until we realized the sound was coming from under ground, but that was that. If it was in Kentucky, it would be gasoline and a match. We generally live and let live on our little section of earth, but I have found yellow jackets don't feel the same way. If you kill one, they send our a pheromone that calls to the rest of them to 'Get 'em!'.

Flicka Sep 30, 2018 09:32 AM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

I had a nest at our front walk. A couple of times when grandkids came they were stung. I called a pest control company, they wanted $150.00 (it was 2 feet from the street). I called a friend with a bee business, he said to get a can of varnish (or something like that) and spray into their hole at night. No problem and it cost less than $3.00, problem solved. At night I guess they were asleep, nary a one came out.

pstarSR Sep 30, 2018 08:54 AM
What to do with a Yellow Jacket Nest

wasps and yellow jackets are different things, but. Yes dont stand over the nest and blast it with insecticide the yellow jackets ( or wasps, whatever they are ) will come out of that hole PISSED OFF!

either treat it, or dont. dont blame the kids for the cause, then use them as an excuse to try and take care of it.

city wont do anything, unless its completely out of control. nature has flys, pests, and beautiful butterfly's. we have to take it all to get the good. so either take care of it yourself, or call a pest control company.