By an edhat reader

A group of kids from the "SNAP" Program [Santa Barbara Police Department Student Neighborhood Assistance Program Officer] came to my house this weekend during a BBQ stating we had a noise complaint. It was the early evening on a Saturday.

The explanation of a "violation" was very confusing as they weren't police officers. I was let go with a warning, even though there were 2 other louder house parties on the block they didn't visit. What is the legitimacy of this service and can they actually issue citations? There was a threat of my address being put in a system but it didn't make much sense.

a-1566599955 Jul 23, 2019 09:14 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

OP here again to clarify: We are not students, much much older than that. We have 1 BBQ a year with friends. It was not a raging party. It was around 7pm when they arrived, the sun was still up. We would have preferred a neighborly knock on the door especially considering there were much louder parties in our neighborhood that evening.

PitMix Jul 23, 2019 12:27 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

When my neighbor on Gillespie throws his annual rager, he invites everyone within earshot. With that approach, he has been able to party for 20 years that I know of.

a-1566599955 Jul 23, 2019 09:02 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

We need more volunteer neighborhood block captains and thoughtful neighbors. SNAP workers are more cost effective than million dollar police officers for noise complaint response, and other reminders to those living in dense residential neighborhoods. I welcome knowing if I’m bothering my neighbors. Not everyone is hard of hearing.

PitMix Jul 23, 2019 08:34 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

This program is an attempt to deal with the consequences of having students living next to working families. With over 50,000 students from our local colleges/universities, they have a big impact on the town. Probably is a complaint driven process, so you have a neighbor with a low tolerance for noise and those other parties do not. Sometimes that is just how it goes.

sbmermaid Jul 23, 2019 06:35 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

Early evening could be 10 pm for some folks. What time was it? The noise ordinance bans audible noise at your property line after 10 pm. SNAP stands for Student Neighborhood Assistance Program and is partially funded by SBCC to help control noisy student parties in neighborhoods. Interesting that they are working on the Westside..in the summer.

Flicka Jul 22, 2019 05:37 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

I always understood the police wouldn't come to a noise complaint unless it went on until 10pm or later. Legal to make noise until then. Early evening sounds over the top for neighbors to complain.

a-1566599955 Jul 22, 2019 01:51 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

It's called a "Shake-down".. See, the city makes a bunch of new rules & ords because it has wasted $$ for needed projects & needs to recoup. They're not gonna tax the tourists because that would take food from CC plates, but we the locals can be squeezed. "We're ALL a bunch of Pini's".. Keep us around when you need to collect hush money.

a-1566599955 Jul 22, 2019 12:58 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

Oh good grief, now BBQs are bothering people early on a Saturday? This town is becoming ridiculous. Cops everywhere. Go to most other towns you hardly even see cops. So friggin uptight you'd never believe you were living in so called laid back CA.

a-1566599955 Jul 22, 2019 12:58 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

Sure happy you party animals don't live in our neighborhood. Where I live, we can hear a pin drop at night and everyone says "What was that?"

a-1566599955 Jul 23, 2019 09:05 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

Like it or leave it! Send them away! Really?!? It’s my home too.

a-1566599955 Jul 22, 2019 01:20 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

We are extremely happy too, and even more happy to not have people like you in our neighborhoods, especially downtown where it should be expected there will be some noise, it's a city after all and a congested one at that. Don't like it . . . move. to where your pin drops are the big stressors.

Rio Sandoo Jul 22, 2019 11:29 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

Yes SNAP has the authority to issue citations. They have been in SLO to help the police department deal with Cal Poly renters for over 15 years, maybe longer, in 1991 I think they came to my friend's house during a party when I was a student. We have a house still in SLO that we rent now, but when I was living in SLO with my four kids, we were surrounded by homes rented by students. Every fall I would make a point to introduce myself, and let the students know that I was ok with parties till midnight on weekends, other Non-school nights. I asked that they get everyone inside by midnight and I would not call the Police. On a few occasions, I would call the police, maybe 2x in over 10 years. In SLO if you get 3 citations, the house gets flagged as a "party house", and the house can not have parties for 12 months. Even if the renters move out or graduated. The third citation is sent to the landlord, so every landlord has in the lease that the renter is responsible for all cost if that third citation is sent to the landlord. In my lease, they will pay all legal cost, will be kicked out, pay the remainder of the lease, the cost to get new renters during mid school term, lose the deposit. I made it as harsh as possible, your adults now, act like it. I have turned over the rental to PM, so their lease may be different, and I leave the trouble to the PM now. I have been told most PM have a very strict lease regarding the SNAP citations in SLO. I did not know they were down here, what a hoot. SLO is such a progressive town.

a-1566599955 Jul 22, 2019 11:24 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

Sounds fishy. Did you contact the SBPD? Wouldn't have been IV if it was through the SBPD.

Rio Sandoo Jul 22, 2019 12:27 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

Non-sworn position with code enforcement duties. Position works directly with the Neighborhood Policing Unit supervisor and under the functional supervision of the on-duty Police Department Watch Commander. Work duties include:  As part of a two person team, respond to complaints of noise. Verify potential noise ordinance violations and issue verbal warnings to the responsible parties.  Maintain statistical data, data entry, and clerical support of SNAP.  Patrol residential neighborhoods and identify and report potential problem locations. Identify, address, prevent and provide a deterrent to unacceptable behavior and chronic nuisance related issues.  Issues parking citations in residential parking districts.  Attend community/business meetings as directed and appear in court as required.  Work with other City departments to refer complaints that can be mitigated through other methods. Candidate must possess the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; operate a two-way radio; write parking citations; maintain records and prepare concise reports; utilize a computer to prepare reports; deal effectively and tactfully with the public and use skill to interact with diverse groups of people; learn and retain law enforcement rules and regulations; interpret and explain city policies and procedures; work well under pressure; work independently; use good objective judgment and common sense; represent the city favorably; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. The ability to speak Spanish is desirable.

Rio Sandoo Jul 22, 2019 12:25 PM
What is the SNAP Program?

There is a job opening. https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=170267

mp805 Jul 22, 2019 11:11 AM

Is this in Isla Vista? Just curious what area or neighborhood

a-1566599955 Jul 22, 2019 11:52 AM
What is the SNAP Program?

OP here : this was downtown in a residential area, west of State