What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

By an edhat reader

Did Locavore Kitchen on Victoria St. close after just a few months? It replaced the Nugget and opened in June. Does anyone know they closed?

Big Swede Sep 09, 2018 11:03 AM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

Way back, mid 1980's?, it was the Mandalay Café under the ownership of Bruce Smith and the lovely Becky was hostess, if you were lucky. Next door the Victoria Street Theater stirring up trouble and showing foreign films, classics, The Last Temptation of Christ (gasp!), and animated festivals. All pre video and Netflix.

DreamNow Sep 05, 2018 08:38 AM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

I'm so disappointed. I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had the Cast Iron Skillet Fried Chicken and it was probably the tastiest chicken I've ever had in SB. The biscuit served with it was way too salty, but the chicken made up for it. What a shame though that nothing seems to survive in there. Maybe it needs to go back to being he hippy coffee shop mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I'd enjoy that!

a-1536094743 Sep 04, 2018 01:59 PM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

Can anyone list the previous five or six restaurants that have been in that location? Seems like it has had a lot of turnover. Locavore Kitchen, The Nugget... And what came before them? I just can't remember, and it's driving me nuts.

Factotum Sep 04, 2018 04:02 PM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

I remember when it was a genuine "hippie" coffee house in the 1970's - mismatched chairs, multiple carpets and Indian draperies, uneven floors and the best darn ice-cream pie ever - rum raisin with chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream in a chocolate cookie crust. Each later owner refined the setting since that humble beginning.

Britinsb Sep 04, 2018 04:01 PM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

Blue Shark Bistro
Epiphany Restaurant & Bar
HobNob Tavern
Arlington Tavern
The Nugget
Locavore Kitchen

(from The Restaurant Guy) - not sure what was there before Blue Shark Bistro.

a-1536087443 Sep 04, 2018 11:57 AM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

I think the comment by "the sage" was meant to be taken only as a joke...or that is how it came across to me.

a-1536081581 Sep 04, 2018 10:19 AM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

I just went there for the first time 10 days ago, and wasn't impressed. I've been meaning to write a mediocre Yelp review, but now I guess there's no point. The service was good, so I hope the staff can find other jobs.

REX OF SB Sep 04, 2018 08:44 AM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

Here's the link to John Dickson's Restaurant Guy blog:

Flicka Sep 04, 2018 08:41 AM
What Happened to Locavore Kitchen?

I've heard that when people open a business they need to account for the fact it will likely loose money the first year. Maybe they didn't have good financing?