By an edhat reader

All the parking is gone from Milpas to State on Cota Street. What's up?

SnapMaster Feb 19, 2018 11:25 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

SURPRISE!! The Santa Barbara city council decided you don’t need parking.. You need a bike. Just like every tax and spend solution “dims” decide for you. California is melting into the sea under democratic leadership. Lol.

haroldm Feb 19, 2018 10:31 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I have a car but like to limit my driving as much as possible. I bike various routes across town daily. I like to use Canon Perdido, with bike lanes on both sides on the Milpas end, but sometimes I need to use other routes. You might as well ask, why can't cars avoid this or that street completely. Drivers like the faster thoroughfares, but need the smaller streets sometimes too.
Unfortunately, the new Cota bike lane curves down into the gutter, where all the debris ends up--this weekend there were lots of glass splinters in the bike lane, and the paving is awful, never mind the asphalt-cement curb interface.
Our bike lane experts think they can paint lines, put up markers, stencil on some cement bicyclist logos and they're done--sorry folks, but you really should repave this stretch of distressed and rippled paving so that one doesn't need a mountain bike to cycle safely there.
And fellow drivers: imagine if all those cyclists you have to wait for were in SUVs--you'd be in gridlock that much longer. Give them some space and be glad they're not clogging the intersections like us in our big metal boxes.
Loss of parking--give up your second car, and there would be more than enough to go around.

a-1519058551 Feb 19, 2018 08:42 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Folks, I know that we all want to have parking where we want and when we want it. But the fact is that streets are built to move vehicles not to store them (i.e. park them). Parking is incidental to the primary purpose. In addition to cars, trucks and busses, bikes are vehicles that use the streets for movement. Since cars and bikes haven't mixed well in the same lanes, separated lanes are a safer solution.

nope Feb 19, 2018 08:27 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

It's great, I've used it and seen others using it. Nice to have a safe route across town from the Eastside.
I'm not sure why folks are so mad that they don't see people using it, maybe because bikes are near silent and don't cause traffic! We are using it and gone before you notice, maybe you're too busy looking for a spot for that giant hunk of metal that sits idle 99% of the time. Nice work City of SB, thankyou.

salsa guy Feb 19, 2018 07:38 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

If y’all think Murillo is a visionary and extraordinarally smart then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I’d like to sell you. Then you can bike lane to death. She’s an idiot!

LocalinSB Feb 19, 2018 09:03 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

FYI - PODER has a avid support in the 3rd District. I heard Chelsea Lancaster is running for Murillo's Council seat. Santa Barbara is going to be ruined with people like that running the City.

420722 Feb 18, 2018 03:17 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I have business on a cota a few times a week and never see people using this bike lane. Just think, that jardin de rosas mega complex on cota isn’t done yet. When all the people move in there will be a minimum of 2 cars per apartment I’m assuming...where the F&CK will they park?

LocalinSB Feb 19, 2018 09:44 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

A 73 unit, 4 story AUD will replace Capital Hardware (711 N Milpas). Get ready for more parking problems on the Eastside.

mattyboy Feb 19, 2018 08:41 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I drive on Cota every day (I live nearby and use Cota to get to Garden/freeway), and there are always people biking on it during the morning commute times. I say that as someone who doesn't like the loss of parking.

A Real Local Feb 18, 2018 06:10 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Skateboards. I heard Murillo, Schwartz from Planning Commission and Developer Alan Bleecker like alternative transportation and they really like skateboards. Big question we need to ask is why is Staff and the City allowing so many projects or redevelopment without enough parking? Just think about Target on upper State or look at the Funk Zone. Tons of development, but no real parking requirements for the actual need of businesses for employees OR customers.

GeneralTree Feb 18, 2018 03:09 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

No place to park, bad for businesses, bike lane won't generate revenue for business, more congested and the bike lane won't be used much. Other than that it is great.

a-1518994896 Feb 18, 2018 03:01 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

No sense having bike paths if half the bicyclists still go on parallel streets without paths. How do we get casual bicyclists to know about and use the paths? For instance, Castillo has a path, but I regularly see bikes using De la Vina instead. Yes, I know it is a bit out of the way for some, but we aren't going to put bike paths on every street. So it seems to me that part of the deal has to be that if the city pays for bike paths, the bikes have to make an effort to use them. Safer for everybody. Any one have a solution?

d8vanilla Feb 18, 2018 02:21 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I happened to drive down that street a couple days ago, and I didn't see ONE single bicycle on that street !!!! But, I did see quite a few cars.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 09:16 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

The on-street parking on Cota was eliminated to make a "buffered" bike lane. You can thank Gregg Hart, who is running for second district supervisor. You can also thank Mayor Cathy Murillo, who obviously bikes 20 miles a day. This is just the beginning. As second district supervisor, Hart plans to eliminate all on- street parking along Milpas, outer State Street, Anapamu, De La Vina and several other streets. Vote for people like Hart and Murillo and get your parking removed.

yin yang Feb 18, 2018 06:57 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Logging in to criticize these personal attacks based on appearance. Grow up. Use words to make rational arguments.

I won't downvote anymore; dumb or offensive posts should stay visible.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 11:33 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To the comment @ 11:19 A.M- If you support eliminating the on-street parking on De La Vina , Anapamu, etc to make way for bike lanes, then Gregg Hart is your choice for second district supervisor. His plan is to remove thousands of on-street parking spaces throughout the City of Santa Barbara and the unincorporated parts of the second district.

a-1518981589 Feb 18, 2018 11:19 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Great to see more bike lanes with separation from cars. I ride my bike a lot, but avoid streets like DeLaVina, Chapala, Santa Barbara, etc where there is no bike lane. Doubtful I would take advantage of Cota Street, but I'm sure the school kids will benefit. It would be great to remove parking from the streets without bike lanes to provide better traffic flow along with bicycles. (ie: DeLaVina, Santa Barbara). Maybe just have parking on one side only for all streets in the city.

seaninsb Feb 18, 2018 08:57 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I would just find your own little special spot and paint it back green. You can even get stencils and paint 90 minutes on it. I know people who do it all the time. Parking is disappearing in this town, first it was the new bike path through the middle of town. Now this, I say we take it back!

a-1518971800 Feb 18, 2018 08:36 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Please explain what you mean by "all the parking is gone"... do you mean holes in the ground? Buses taking up the spaces? Roadside vendors? Gypsy caravans?