What Factors Would Improve Local Elementary Schools?
By Denice Spangler Adams
What are the factors contributing to the achievement gap? Edhat posted an article headlined "Adams Recognized as Top School in the Nation," because Adams improved from a dismal 35.5% in 2013 to a mediocre 67.9% in 2018.
What contributed to this improvement: parent involvement, tutoring, principal and/or teacher changes; common core math or other curriculum changes; reduced teacher/ student ration to 24:1; or what?
Of 5662 CA Elementary schools, as of 9/26/2018, SBUSD Adams ranked 1817, and 4th in the SBUSD. Of 555 students, 65.8% are on the free lunch program and only 75.1% Hispanic. Area homes sell for $1M-$3M. What factors changed resulting in this significant improvement?
Locally the rankings of 5662 elementary schools are:
- Cold Spring School 19 @98.8%;
- MUS email@example.com%;
- Mt. View firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- Foothill email@example.com%;
- SBUSD Washington firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- Kellogg email@example.com%;
- Hope firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- Monte Vista email@example.com%;
- Vieja Valley firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- Isla Vista email@example.com%;
- Brandon firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- Ellwood email@example.com%;
- Peabody Charter firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- SBUSD ADAMS email@example.com%;
- Hollister firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- SBUSD Franklin email@example.com%;
- SBUSD Roosevelt 2078@59%;
- El Camino firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- LaPatera email@example.com%;
- SBUSD SB Community firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- SBUSD Harding email@example.com%;
- SBUSD Monroe firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- Adelante Charter Dual Language email@example.com%;
- SBUSD Cleveland firstname.lastname@example.org%;
- SBUSD McKinley email@example.com%;
Make note that CSS and MUS are single independent school districts; the next 2 schools (Mt View and Foothill) are in the 9-school Goleta District. The other higher ranking schools are in the 3-school independent Hope District (Monte Vista, Hope, Vieja Valley); with Peabody Elementary, a Charter School in the San Roque area.
The 2 highest SBUSD schools are Washington on the Mesa which is consistently a high performing school with also a GATE magnet Program; and Adams off Las Positas Rd which improved from 35.5% in 2013 to 67.9% in 2019.
The SBUSD ranks 382 of 856 CA School Districts. It is now a Basic Aid District as are CSS, MUS, Hope and Goleta School Districts.
Cold Spring School ranks 1 in the category of single school districts, or districts with only one school.
The quality of education to prepare students is essential to our country, community and the student’s future lot in life. Schools determine neighborhoods: older childless persons buy near Cleveland for example, where many homeowners conclude enrolling their child would be an injustice because instruction must be diluted to accommodate the student majority.
Stakeholders include everyone in our community. Property owners paying property taxes which fund schools need to remain informed to ensure their neighborhood school is performing to required standards to prepare students to contribute to America for the benefit of the greater world community.
The mission of the Santa Barbara Unified School District is to ensure the educational success of all students through high expectations and a commitment to excellence and to empower them to reach their full potential as responsible, ethical, and productive citizens in a diverse and changing world.
Do you have an opinion on something local? Share it with us at. The views and opinions expressed in Op-Ed articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of edhat.