What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving? title=

By Flicka

What did other edhat readers have to eat for Thanksgiving and where? In the previous article about the big day it says 25% of those polled weren't planning to have turkey! I have a friend who went to Goleta because they provided a traditional meal. I had another friend who always makes a rib roast and lasagna, a tradition in his family.

What did other edhatters eat for Thanksgiving?

JB86 Nov 24, 2018 07:42 PM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

We broke a 60-year family tradition because only a few of us were able to gather due to work commitments. Ate at Holdren's in Newberry Park; three prime rib specials and one traditional turkey dinner. It was good no prep, no cleanup, but also something missing.

EastBeach Nov 24, 2018 02:26 PM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

We had traditional fare and made a donation to Food Bank of SB when shopping for everything. For those of you who mentioned green bean casserole ... I had no idea the classic version was so popular. The inventor of the casserole, Dorcas Reilly, passed away last month at 92 ..... https://www.npr.org/2018/11/22/670313834/remembering-dorcas-reilly-inventor-of-the-classic-green-bean-casserole

Patricia E. Nov 24, 2018 12:04 PM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

My hostess had a Diversity Dinner. Each guest brought a dish from their national origin or ethnicity. Our hostess provided the basic Turkey dinner and the guests dishes came from the Philippines, Mexico, Guatemala, Ireland, China, England, Spain. All of it was lovely.

Flicka Nov 23, 2018 05:28 PM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

My daughter decided instead of the huge turkey we'd have "Turkey Shepherds Pie" (she used turkey breast from Trader Joe's), made with some added stuffing (actually called "dressing" if not stuffed into a turkey), some homemade cranberry sauce) and, of course, topped with mashed potatoes. Green bean casserole from scratch, vegetable pies I made. It was basically all "pies". Dessert was pecan, apple, and chocolate cream pies. Our new tradition! I have cooked enough big turkeys during my long life to be glad not do any more of them. The best turkey I ever tasted was a deep fried one my son-in-law made 20 years ago.

a-1543016066 Nov 23, 2018 03:34 PM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

We had mashed potatoes, roasted broccolini, mushroom gravy, orange/cranberry sauce and homemade stuffing, for a very satisfying vegetarian dinner. Looking forward to tonight’s leftovers.

a-1543003161 Nov 23, 2018 11:59 AM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

We had the full-on traditional Thanksgiving which always starts off with breakfast: two-egg ham/cheese/bacon/sausage/mushroom omelettes, bacon cheddar "drop" biscuits (Bisquick brand), Belgian waffles w/strawberries/whipped cream/real maple syrup, and we had mimosas (more bubbly than juice!), fresh squeezed orange juice, and non-fat milk./////We then fired up the outdoor BBQ.....more mimosas......we soaked our 18 lb. turkey in an herbal brine overnight, stuffed it with spicy kielbasa, onions, and oranges and rubbed it down with olive oil, draped the entire turkey with maple-smoked bacon (about 1.5 lbs), then covered the entire outside with orange slices, which were held in place with toothpicks....into our BBQ it went........bourbon break.....then it was onto put together the sausage/pine nut/oyster cornbread stuffing w/a bit of rice, green string beans w/bacon "bits" and fried onions, sweet potatoes w/pineapple chunks smothered in marshmallows, fresh whole cranberry sauce made with cane sugar/brown sugar/apple butter sauce ....... break time again w/two shots Patron silver which I received as a b-day gift....roasted red potatoes made with garlic/fresh rosemary/olive oil....we started making appetizers = five cheese platter with flatbread crisps, beef tenderloin burnt ends on sourdough toast squares, candied pecans made with a rum butter-glaze sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts//////desert was pumpkin pie from Trader Joe's, apple tart (also from TJs), rum-soaked pound cake, chocolate/walnut roll, home made vanilla ice cream, whipped cream leftover from breakfast.......speaking of leftovers.....we have plenty!!!

oceandrew Nov 23, 2018 11:39 AM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

Seafood pasta marinara with prawns, mussels, scallops and lots of garlic in white wine and tomato reduction sauce. Yummm.

a-1543000391 Nov 23, 2018 11:13 AM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

We're veggies so we sliced and lightly fried in olive oil some Quorn Turkey Roast (Mycoprotein (60%), Egg White, Onion, Milk Proteins, Canola Oil, Yeast Extract. Contains 2% or less of Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate, Natural Flavor, Onion Powder, Sage, Potato Maltodextrin, Sugar, Salt, Tapioca Dextrin). ----------I love mashed potatoes and Lazy A had organic russets @ 99¢ lb so I steamed (skins on) and mashed up a huge batch (butter, goat's milk). Made Onion gravy (*super delicious* recipe, w/ gluten-free flour) from scratch. We added a tub of Trader Joe's Cranberry-orange relish. (Would have made our own, but orange tree is struggling in this drought and squirrel-infested era.) Hubby had Gingerade kombucha and I drank my favorite Dragonfruit kombucha. Too bad I forgot about Yam casserole this year. (The one I make w/ maple syrup as "secret" ingredient.) Maybe Xmas time dinner. It's so enjoyable to have a peaceful, homemade, no-visitors, no relatives and easy clean-up healthy holiday dinner.

Potif Nov 23, 2018 10:26 AM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

Traditional 'stuff'. Turkey, with 'all the fixins', smashed yams, green beans, stuffing, and pumpkin pie for dessert

Roger Nov 23, 2018 10:03 AM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

The neighbors turned me on to the traditional stuff but it was kind of chewy I don't have teeth or dentures so I overcooked green beans, and breaded chicken nuggets and ate those saving the other stuff for later on..

a-1542995713 Nov 23, 2018 09:55 AM
What Did You Eat for Thanksgiving?

Chicken roasted from Costco, pre-made. Veggies: carrots, Swiss chard, asparagus (all organic). No potatoes this year, a first! Dessert: Gluten free cakes from (1) Lilac Patisserie, (2) Bundt Cakes/Goleta. Ice cream from Von's, Turnpike/Hollister.