West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly title=

By an edhat reader

Just saw this on Facebook, the West Wind Drive In closed after 9 years in business. Does anyone know why? It was always such a good idea and seemed to be really popular.

a-1566355406 Apr 22, 2019 12:34 PM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

As kids, we had so much fun at the Airport Drive-in. It was heaven to be in our pajamas and making good use of the playground equipment. Meanwhile our parents had the car all to themselves and could watch their boring old movies without having to listen to us kids put up a fuss.

Curmudgeon Apr 21, 2019 06:34 PM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

These were called "Passion Pits" back in the day - 1950s. Steamy windows often obscured the movies! LOL!

aragorn Apr 20, 2019 10:20 AM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

I remember it was the Twin Screen Drive-In Theaters (2 Drive-In's.) I saw It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, World, The Longest Day, Alice B. Toklas, The Magic Christian, Return of the Dragon, Cannibal Girls, Race With The Devil, Burnt Offerings, Carrie and many other movies there. The last one I saw was in the early 80's there was Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. Real shame, losing what is one of the last things of Americana.

All Sides Apr 22, 2019 05:38 AM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

Many good memories for me, too. I saw The Godfather there when I was in high school. My brother and I had to take my dad - R rated.

a-1566355406 Apr 19, 2019 09:38 PM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

Ah, the good old days. I remember when my friends lived next to A & G Wrecking yard and they set up a sofa overlooking the back fence at the drive-in. One of us would hop the fence and grab a speaker or two. Then we'd kick back, eat our homemade popcorn and watch the movie.

a-1566355406 Apr 19, 2019 05:10 PM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

It hasn't been replaced by Netflix and streaming, the drive-in went dormant a long time ago and then these guys revived it 9 years ago and did okay for a bit. I think they definitely needed to do more advertising and promotions to get people to come, and having a better concession stand would have helped a lot too! Not very clean food and the property could be a little bit better maintained ... I guess we'll have to see what happens but sure would be fun to have a nicer Drive-In. I know that management there was messed up, I've known a few people who work there including two of their previous managers and it was pretty dirty and some weird drama stuff was going on with management. Also rumors of drug deals, although that's just rumors and I don't know about it for sure.

CoastWatch Apr 19, 2019 01:05 PM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

Drive In's COULD be a fun place if it was marketed correctly- It's a shame the Southern California landscape no longer embraces the Drive In experience.... I guess it will be the same for mini-golf courses too... Thanks computers.

a-1566355406 Apr 19, 2019 12:56 PM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

The property was for sale. Speculating, but presume the buyer plans to build more Goleta housing.

biguglystick Apr 23, 2019 11:13 AM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

While we DO need affordable housing here, it shouldn't be at the expense of family freindly entertainment. I LOVED this drive-in. In its hey-day I saw movies like Top Gun there... when it changed over to the new drive-in operated by Westwind after being closed for many years I was SO stoked! We went there a LOT. So sad to see this go. We need a drive-in. Maybe we can fund one like we did ICe In Paradise!

PitMix Apr 19, 2019 11:45 AM
West Wind Drive In Closes Abruptly

Most of them are closed now. It is a business model that has been replaced by streaming and netflix. RIP.