By an edhat reader

I live off Glen Annie, couple blocks away from Dos Pueblos High School. About 9pm my family and I noticed a weird smell, like burning sewer. After walking around the house to see if our sewer line was backing up, I walked the neighborhood and the smell seemed to be everywhere. Maybe a chimney burning trash? Anyway seeing if anyone else smelled it or if anyone had an answer for it. I feel like it mimics a smell by the Bacara Resort which sometimes has that sulphuric sewer smell

Phantom Blot Jan 21, 2019 06:45 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Factotum....perhaps it is just the scent of something dangling in the tournifortia....

Roger Jan 20, 2019 01:57 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

No but a friend of mine posted it on Facebook..Says Ocean Rescue request for a supervisor..

Roger Jan 20, 2019 01:59 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Requesting alot of resources at the Rincon Bluffs including the Coast Guard..

thejamin Jan 20, 2019 01:51 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

I saw the fire department and it looks like search and rescue at Rincon just now searching the waters. Have you heard any reports of a lost surfer or swimmer?

Roger Jan 20, 2019 01:48 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Living alone and not putting on the smelly crap has it's benefits...:)

tiny Jan 19, 2019 03:50 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Due to upwelling because of the first big groundswells. Us kids would know the waves were big when the smell. I would explain fully but ….I'm censored.

a-1566428546 Jan 19, 2019 02:30 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

The lack of scientific knowledge about the local area's geology, and what is normal, is troubling. There has been oil & gas here for thousands of years, so sometimes the normal accompanying smells of oil & gas are prevalent. You may be smelling hydrogen sulfide, which is normal in heavy crude, which is what the Ellwood oil field is. There are farms here, so sometimes there are farms smells, like freshly applied fertilizer. And sometimes, you can smell aviation fuel from the airport, or "rot" from the slough.

a-1566428546 Jan 18, 2019 05:57 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Im guessing it smells like teen spirit? Or perhaps it's the warm smell of Goleta, rising up through the air... (Nirvana Eagles)

a-1566428546 Jan 18, 2019 01:19 PM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Eggzactly!! Anyone living near the "oil patch" should know that smell of hydrogen sulfide. Aka H2S, it's only deadly when you can't smell it.

Roger Jan 18, 2019 09:57 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

R.P. Did describe the odor sulfer had a call with the same odor on Garden street 1300 Block acouple days ago..

EastBeach Jan 18, 2019 10:52 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Reminds me of the funny "smoking shale" replies a few weeks ago :)

a-1566428546 Jan 18, 2019 09:52 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Thas just Goleta,Probably fertilizer run off from one of the ranches,or turned up debris in the creeks & slough after rain. Or Meth Lab!

SantaBarbaraObserver Jan 18, 2019 09:39 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Can you offer any more descriptors of the smell other than it was "weird"? I have no idea what weird smells like... Unless its patchouli. A smell that seems to always be abound when there are weird people around.

tagdes Jan 18, 2019 10:18 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Patchouli's not weird... man....it's really groovy. I mean...can you dig it.

SantaBarbaraObserver Jan 18, 2019 10:09 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

Looks like they updated the post. Thanks for the better description.

a-1566428546 Jan 18, 2019 09:06 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

I live very close to Sandpiper golf course, and yes, I noticed a weird smell also around 9 pm.

CS805 Jan 18, 2019 08:46 AM
Weird Smell in Goleta?

This isn't the first time Western Goleta has had an incident like this. In fact it's probably the 4th or 5th time it's been reported. See the link below. https://www.countyofsb.org/asset.c/3221