Watching an Octopus Hunt

Scroll through the above photos

By Tom Modugno

On a recent trip to Central California, we were exploring tidepools with our eyes, when we came across an octopus. Resisting the urge to touch it or interrupt it at all, we instead watched from above as he hunted the expansive pool he was in.

We were rewarded with an incredible show. The octopus worked his way around the pool, going in and out of caves, scaring out small fish, probably eating some and constantly changing his colors as he moved about.

Such an incredible creature,  beautiful and alien-looking. So glad we didn't bother it and were able to watch nature in action.

SBZZ Mar 13, 2021 09:19 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

Thanks again Tom! Robert Bernstein et al - take note on how to behave the next time you visit tidepools.

Lorax Mar 12, 2021 01:14 PM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

Yes, these are amaizing creatures! Recently I was in Morro Bay in a shop and admired the owner's octupus pin. She told me she was obsessed with them and that each of their apendages, 4 legs 4 arms had seperate brains and each was capable of sensing different tastes and sensations independently of course controled by the Centra Briain it the round top part of the head that has its eyes.
She reffered me to the My Octopus Teacher Net Flick , I'm glad someone posted about that as a reminder to watch it!

Rinconer Mar 12, 2021 07:18 AM

Great photo, thank you!
After seeing, “My Octopus Teacher”, I have a new respect for invertebrates, especially Octopi. One of the most clever and resourceful creatures on Earth.

popcorn Mar 12, 2021 06:49 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

I second the book recommendation "The Soul of an Octopus" + the spell-binding documentary "My Octopus Teacher".

AQUAHOLIC Mar 11, 2021 02:37 PM

Thanks for sharing!
My favorite sea creature.
"The Soul Of An Octopus"..... great book!

sacjon Mar 11, 2021 11:17 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

This is so cool! I hope you didn't step on any rocks or sand, lots of people here will be furious!

ZeroHawk Mar 11, 2021 04:34 PM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

this made me belly laugh, snort and laugh again...you totally nailed it...and the weirdos that can't handle people at tide pools doing what curious people do (examine, learn). i spent two hours near Naples last saturday, with my malinois, having fun at the tide pools. i always kept looking over my shoulder for some edhat nanny to come scold us...never happened. whew!

biguglystick Mar 11, 2021 11:13 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

I wholeheartedly recommend the movie My Octopus Teacher. It's streaming, and you can watch it for free. SUCH a great documentary about these fascinating beings! NEVER eat octopus! Please. They are very intellligent and wonderful.

mtndriver Mar 13, 2021 04:04 PM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

PAGLINSB--Me too, very sad! And amazing that they learn so many skills in that short life. Very intelligent animals.

biguglystick Mar 13, 2021 02:36 PM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

NO, Sac, he's NOT a mess, he's a human being that is compassionate. I urge you to search your soul and find yours.

paglinsb Mar 12, 2021 10:07 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

I was dismayed to learn in the movie My Octopus Teacher that they live such short lives!

a-1615537791 Mar 12, 2021 12:29 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

I hear you. It's just my gut feeling. I can't eat octopus anymore; had it a couple of times. I am so fascinated by and enamored of them.
I still occasionally eat Western farm animals. No, it doesn't make sense, but at least I think about every bite!

SBTownie Mar 11, 2021 05:36 PM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

It IS delicious but after having an incredible interaction with a octopus in the Balearics, I swore it off forever. Just can't do it.

Bird Mar 11, 2021 11:10 AM
Watching an Octopus Hunt

What a treat! Thank you for sharing the story and the picture!!!