Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

By Roger the Scanner Guy

There's a report of a wasp or bee's attack. The patient is unconscious, possibly coded. This happened in the 1400 block of Harborview Drive. Montecito Fire, Medics, Santa Barbara Mutual Aide is responding.

a-1599320265 Sep 05, 2020 08:37 AM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

Patient declared dead on scene, unsure if it's related to the attack.

d8vanilla Sep 05, 2020 10:12 AM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

If you come across Wasps or Yellow jackets, don't move a muscle..... stay calm and move very very slow.... They will attack if you make any fast movements.....

d8vanilla Sep 05, 2020 10:14 AM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

Years ago, one of my roommates was very very deathly allergic to Bee's, and he carried the syringe all the time. If he had been stung and didn't inject himself, he would have died. And, every time you get stung, the side affects get worse and worse. So, the guy might have been very very very allergic to whatever stung him....

a-1599329788 Sep 05, 2020 11:16 AM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

I recall a local tragedy a few years back where a man on a motorcycle died of a bee sting. He had his epi-pen with him but died so fast he never had a chance to use it.

Lucky 777 Sep 05, 2020 01:24 PM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

The weirdest thing about the law relating to Epi-pen use is that teachers and other helpers are not allowed to administer them. So in the first aid classes they teach you to wrap the victim's own hand around the Epi-pen and stab it into their thigh. I took a Wilderness First Aid class and was astonished that teachers taking students on hikes are not allowed to carry one of these devices. Only the person for whim it is prescribed can get one. Retail cost for the set of 2 of them is as much as $500 and they are rated to be replaced every 6 months. A very significant cost!

Roger Sep 05, 2020 02:14 PM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

I got attacked by a nest of wasps as a kid they all went for my face, I got stung over 7 times and was lumpy for a bit it was my karma I did something bad before it happened those wasps were just letting me know about it.

Minibeast Sep 05, 2020 03:50 PM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

Yellowjackets are a type of wasp and are known to be much more aggressive than Paper wasps. "These bee-sized social wasps are black with yellow markings on the front of the head and yellow banding around the abdomen. The face is primarily yellow with dark eyes." (naturemappingfoundation.org)------ Yellowjackets are the ones that pester people at picnics and barbecues, because these insects like to feed on sugary drinks and meat. Yellowjacket nests are most often subterranean.---------- You should always, as a gardener, look to see if there is Yellowjacket activity near a pile of brush, before you attempt to disturb that brush. This species of Hymenoptera can sting repeatedly and one sting can kill a human, IF that human is allergic. Not allergic? Then it will take up to about 1500 stings to kill a healthy adult human being. --------------- I have been stung by Yellowjackets and I find that the sting from a Honeybee is exponentially more painful. Honeybee stings also seem to bring stronger reactions re: swelling and itching.

OWLworks Sep 06, 2020 12:28 PM
Wasp Attack on Harbor Drive

To be or not to bee? Protect and educate children and adults as well about what to do and consider when planning a garden.