Wall Heater Causes Early Morning Apartment Fire
Source: Santa Barbara City Fire Department
This morning at approximately 3:20 am, The Santa Barbara City Combined Communications Center was alerted to a possible structure fire in the 300 block of West Pedregosa St. Three fire engines, one Truck Company, and a Battalion Chief responded to the scene. The first arriving engine reported nothing showing, then found an involved unit on the first floor of the apartment complex. The engine crews entered the apartment and made an aggressive fire attack. The fire was located in a rear bedroom. Residents from adjacent apartments were evacuated. There were no injuries reported.
The reporting party lives in the apartment directly above the involved unit. He awoke to the smell of smoke in his unit. He investigated and determined the fire was in the unit below him. He called 911 and when firefighters arrived, he pointed out the involved apartment.
The fire was caused by the wall heater in the bedroom. Damage was limited to the wall and contents within the room with an estimated damage and property loss of $20,000. The fire was contained to the one bedroom and is still under investigation.
Smoke detectors were in the unit however, they had melted from the heat. Santa Barbara Police assisted with traffic control at the scene.
The Santa Barbara City Fire Department would like to remind everyone to make sure you have a working smoke detector in each room and hallways of your home. Also, remember to turn off your heaters, if you are not going to be home.