Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

By an edhat reader

At about 5:40 this evening, a grey Honda minivan struck a man on a bicycle at the intersection of Modoc and Eucalyptus. Witnesses quickly called 911 and SBFD arrived quickly from the Modoc station. An ambulance arrived quickly after. Witnesses gave statements to police on the scene. The bicyclist seemed to have avoided major injuries.

a-1632346018 Sep 22, 2021 02:26 PM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

It's not just bicycles with the "car, not car" reflex. I am guilty of, this morning, waiting to make a left turn while all the cars coming towards me finished doing their thing -- and then turning left eagerly, and barely missing two people dressed all in black. This was "car, not car" except with people, not bicycles. Eeek!

photodude Sep 22, 2021 11:47 AM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

I both ride a bicycle daily, and drive a car.
Bicyclists must stay within the bike lane except for a few well defined circumstances. Space here does not provide for me to append the CVC verbiage. See: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=21208.&article=4.&highlight=true&keyword=bicycle+right
When bicycling, I generally wear a dayglo yellow/green jersey. Too many times, I have had automobile drivers look directly at me, look the other way, then look back at me with a very surprised look on their face, i.e, they are finally seeing me for the first time.
Automobile drivers subconciously look for 'car, not car' If you are 'not car' you are not there!
Bicyclists MUST be aware of this unfortunate fact. You may be in the right, but if you force the issue, you may be dead right.
People in steel boxes will win every time.

haroldm Sep 22, 2021 10:56 AM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

Most bicyclists don't have a death wish, but careless drivers are a dime a dozen. Of course we don't know who was at fault here, but given that it was daylight and commuter hour, my money would be on a driver in a rush to get home. Any cyclist can tell you how many oblivious drivers pass them with (far) less than the 3' minimum required by law, in blind spots disregarding danger.
My bicycle commute goes through that area multiple times a week: the car lanes were repaved recently, leaving the bike lane cracked and unimproved, never mind the parked cars with the potential of opening doors.
So let's thank Luvaduck for driving defensively, and not jump to conclusions regarding a few careless cyclists. (Not to mention that crossing Modoc "at speed" sounds awfully unlikely.)

sacjon Sep 22, 2021 01:32 PM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

SNORKY - I meant to say (my bad) I've never seen cars blow through as much as cyclists. Yeah, I've seen it happen once or twice, but cyclists on Cathedral Oaks is a 2-3x DAILY occurrence.

Snorky Sep 22, 2021 01:04 PM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

Odd, just in the past 2 days I HAVE SEEN cars go right by stop signs....they are not "new" so...no excuse. Also, as a "weekend warrior" bicyclist, will NOT excuse the conduct of a lot of fellow bicyclists (bike "groups"), plenty of times they do not follow the laws. We DO need to look at each accident on a case-by-case basis. Luckily, I have my daylight "blinky" lights with built in cameras (front and rear), just in case.

sacjon Sep 22, 2021 11:20 AM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

HAROLDM - yeah, just jump to conclusions and blame the driver. I've never seen cars blow through stop signs/lights or drive side by side in one lane forcing everyone to swerve around them. Funny thing, I see cyclists do that DAILY. Every, single, day. Come check out Cathedral Oaks any time. Ride to the right, single file and stop when required by law and there will be a lot less injury out there on the road.

Luvaduck Sep 22, 2021 07:32 AM
Vehicle vs Bike at Eucalyptus and Modoc

Before Covid, I had reason to drive that stretch once a week. Three times that winter, a bik rider came out of the bike path at speed in dark clothing, no lights after dark. If I had been driving faster, I'd have hit them.