Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Brush fire along Highway 101 southbound, just south of Fairview. Engine 14 is on scene reporting light smoke from a homeless encampment.

Roger Jun 06, 2019 11:56 AM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

It's funny how some deleted magically disappear off the board all together...

Luvaduck Jun 06, 2019 10:55 AM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

A lot of this seems to be "your right to swing your arms stops short of my nose." These encampments are a serious threat to the community whether fire and health hazard or only a solicitation annoyance.

Flicka Jun 06, 2019 09:33 AM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

My guess is the majority of homeless don't really want to live that way. However, we had a friend, a boy who grew up with my kids, who did want to live that way. He had plenty of family and old neighbors who offered him shelter but it was his decision to live on the street. My husband worked with a man who choose to live the homeless life even though he had a good paying job. When it rained he stayed with friends. I don't think either of these people did any panhandling.

a-1571237576 Jun 07, 2019 07:59 AM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Stop guessing, you're too often wrong. With the plethora of services available, it is just wrong to believe that most homeless don't want to live that way.

Luvaduck Jun 06, 2019 10:48 AM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

There have always been guys with no desire to lead a settled life. At one time, they were trappers, hunters, explorers and that ilk. When the railroads came in, they "rode and rails" and were known as hobos. They might steal a pie off a windowsill or clothes off a laundry line, but they weren't thieves by profession, it was a life-style and they managed OK. The drug addicts/alcoholics/mental cases are a whole different story: They are dangerous. The other big division is people who can't find a job or housing they can afford or who have been financially ruined, often due to health issues, or are generally unable to cope with modern life. Those three categories typically don't do all right. The addicts can only be 'cured' by themselves. The mental cases need mental help. The financially ruined need education/a new start. Those who can't cope will always be a problem for themselves and society.

Luvaduck Jun 06, 2019 10:51 AM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

There are many less expensive places than "exclusive" areas like Santa Barbara, Palo Altos, Palm Springs and so forth. Places where a minimum wage job <does> pay the rent and food at least. Anywhere in the "rust belt"...

LocalMatt Jun 05, 2019 08:44 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Please stop giving people money on offramps. You are killing them by helping them continue their addictions

LocalMatt Jun 05, 2019 08:31 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

I cant take it anymore. I have about 7 homeless encampments behind my home. The police say americorps is trying to relocate homeless before police can get involved. Well, in the meantime I have a rat infested yard because of all the food and trash left behind, fires for warming and hypodermic needles strung about. The police are handcuffed to do much except trespassing violations.

winter Jun 05, 2019 06:35 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Rodger, I agree...can't afford to give them all my ones, or change, every time. Still avoid parking in certain groceries, gas stations...don't want to be harrassed.

Roger Jun 05, 2019 06:45 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Will I just found poop in my yard and it did not come from the neighbors dog...I know what you mean Winter.

Roger Jun 05, 2019 05:34 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

I confronted then called in a panhandler 201 South Milpas this morning he was detained checked out doubt if he was arrested. Someone put up a homeless rights thing about "Give em a dollar you can afford a dollar to keep them being brutalized by the police." What about some of them brutalizing me demanding money..The police don't brutalizing them that is a bunch of carp..I cannot afford a buck either.

lokelyokel Jun 05, 2019 04:57 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

I'm pleased everyone keeps calling it in. Every time I see someone walking on the onramps/offramps headed toward the bushes I call the non-emergency lines to report. I don't want to be insensitive to the struggles of these people, but the game has changed. It does remind me I need to get a fire extinguisher in the back of the truck.

Factotum Jun 05, 2019 05:26 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Do "these people" struggle more than those who have jobs, mortgages and families to care for in this community?

a-1571237576 Jun 05, 2019 05:18 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

I agree. Last week I called in two encampments in the median of 101 near Salinas and then right on the northbound offramp at Garden. Women doing their morning stretches outside their tents as cars whizzed by 65 mph. That's the first time I have seen a tent IN THE MEDIAN!!!! I have also started to call in the panhandlers at the Las Positas off ramps (both sides). We all know they live in the huge encampment off to the left of Las Positas.....I believe it's in the Caltrans right of away. I want my city back. I want my children safe. I want to be safe and not get burned out of my house.

Factotum Jun 05, 2019 04:19 PM
Vegetation Fire Near Fairview

Contact your appropriate city council member or your county supervisor and let them know your thoughts. Ask them what they are doing about the proliferation of vagrant camps in their jurisdictions and expect a time certain when there is full resolution of this public health and safety violation.