Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis title=

Source: Unity Shoppe

At the Unity Shoppe, food supplies are at a crisis level with many shelves empty. Nearly 10,000 low-income families are referred annually to the Unity Shoppe from other non-profit organizations, churches, schools, and hospitals. For this Holiday Season, up to 150 families can come in daily and will need chickens to feed their families.

By supporting Unity’s Chicken/Turkey fund, you can help us purchase these meat products at wholesale prices.

The Unity Shoppe provides working low-income people, children, and seniors the opportunity to shop for their needs at no charge in a “Central Distribution Facility” during times of crisis. By coordinating these services, more people are helped with better and more consistent support. In 2017, the Unity Shoppe helped nearly 18,000 unduplicated people.  Throughout the year, over 50,000 visits were made to the “free” store, which is available to the clients of all charities.

Unity is uniquely able to meet the needs of all those referred in a manner that restores dignity and gives people hope.   You can make a huge difference in the lives of less fortunate families!!

To make a financial contribution or for more information, please visit:    www.unityshoppe.org  or contact Pat Hitchcock, Public Relations pat@unityshoppe. 805-965-4122 ext 805

sbdude Dec 10, 2018 07:40 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

I have volunteered at the Unity Shoppe and can tell you that it is a great thing. There are a lot of people in SB who for some reason or another are down and out and need these types of services. By and large the clientele there are good, hardworking families who just struggle financially. The food is not fancy and while the Shoppe works hard to maintain they dignity of their clients, I am sure that all of them would far and away prefer to have the means to shop at a regular supermarket. I think it's disingenuous to imply that the "customers" of Unity Shoppe are lazy drunk homeless people who are freeloading their way to their next 12-pack. BTW Factotum, $83K will only get you a $350,000 mortgage, which is about $100,000 short of what you would need to buy the absolute cheapest condo in Santa Barbara or Goleta. One needs to make well over $100K/year for getting into rock-bottom real estate in the South Coast.

a-1547707149 Dec 11, 2018 11:27 AM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Don't bother engaging or responding to FACTOTUM, he's the embodiment of Trumpist conservatism... stingy, greedy, selfish and inhumane. He's the crazy uncle everyone in the family knows never to take seriously or talk to in any significant way.

Flicka Dec 10, 2018 03:38 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Good grief, I hate the idea only "those who can afford it should live here." There are natives who should just be chased out of their hometown? We only want the rich? Yuck, not a place to be proud of!

Roger Dec 10, 2018 07:01 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

My "Home town, and Santa Barbara " are both in the United State of America not in Russia not yet anyway Factotum you would be welcome in my hometown since it's in the United States of America.

Roger Dec 10, 2018 06:00 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

One of your Sons caused me to have an accident at work that Disabled me believe me it's working for me now and so are you. :)

Factotum Dec 10, 2018 04:17 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Why should the rest of us pay you to live in your "home town"? Why didn't you get a skill set that allowed you to afford to stay? You have a good community college and a good public university a bus ride away. Why didn't you make this work for you? Roger made it work for himself. That's the spirt you need so spare us the scolding.

Factotum Dec 10, 2018 12:36 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Semi-skilled labor $20 an hour x two equals $40 an hour (hey, you may have to be married or have a room mate) times 40 hour weeks times 52 weeks a year equals $83,000 year. Cry me a river if you can't get by here on $83,000 a year. And save up enough for a small condo or double wide. Lots have already beat you to this option. Don't get left behind.

NostraChumash Dec 10, 2018 09:25 AM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

The main cause of the "shortage" is that one particular "group" is cornering the market with multiple recips from the same household. When I pointed this out, I was told; "We help everyone equally".. So I just gave out the food.

PitMix Dec 10, 2018 09:01 AM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

The reason we help people that are making poor choices is to try and make sure the lives of their children are less negative. I do not believe Unity helps single people- they always say families. In the spirit of the holidays, this seems like a good idea!

LocalMatt Dec 09, 2018 07:23 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

That's great roger! I've helped a lot of people. I usually get burned in the end. My trust in people has fallen off the deep end.

Roger Dec 09, 2018 03:50 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Because they are not all self inflicted. But then again I'm not sure what you would consider self inflicted I recently helped others some it was a couple alcoholics with a kid I was concerned for the kid so when I could I'd buy alittle food for them. Not all the time because I could not afford it when I could.,Their situation is better now kid is eating...

LocalMatt Dec 09, 2018 02:53 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

I understand we have people who are less fortunate and who have major problems. I'm all for helping others. But I feel if its self inflicted problems why should that be rewarded?

Abc109 Dec 10, 2018 06:49 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Oh Factotum, we're at this again. A great deal of this situation has to do with LANDLORDS - yes, the very homeowners you praise for the "ability" to live here - expecting renters to subsidize their mortgages and property taxes. QUIT BUYING PROPERTIES YOU CAN ONLY AFFORD IF SOMEONE ELSE IS PAYING YOUR MORTGAGE.

Factotum Dec 10, 2018 12:31 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

That is an obligation those who want those services. Most people in urban areas expect to commute up to an hour each way. There is plenty of affordable housing for service workers well within average commute time. You keep insisting people have a right not to commute, a right not to take a commuter bus or alternate transportation and that 25% subsidized housing has not already rotted out the city's long-term financial health. This town will function a lot better when it commits to becoming a full time wealthy, premium residential community before this option is lost entirely. Time the city employee unions got on board too if they want a tax base to support their own demands. Those who can afford to live here just may well be the ones who have to commute out of the area for these "services". Which many do already. There is no right to live in a highly impacted area and you cannot shoe horn in more people just because they want to live here. Cottage Hospital built worker housing, medical assistants make $20 plus an hour, construction seems to be thriving right now and they charge premium prices - hard to believe they are not making enough to stay here. The biggest pressure for "affordable housing" comes from UCSB grads who don't want to leave and who can't find jobs with their marginal skill majors. Everyone else will pay what they need to pay to attract the workers their need and this is part of their business plan. Biggest industry in town is government and they pay exceptionally well. Not sure where you want to go with this.

a-1547707149 Dec 10, 2018 12:00 PM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

FACTOTUM - you keep harping on this whole idea of only those who can afford the insane rents/housing costs should live here. I have a simple question - where should all the service workers and support staff live? There are tens of thousands of people who perform CRITICAL daily services (eg, construction, service, support to Drs, etc etc etc) in SB/Goleta. Where should they move to? Those jobs don't usually make enough to live where they work, so where should all these thousands of people/families move? I don't understand how you think our city is supposed to work without these people.

Factotum Dec 10, 2018 10:37 AM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

If incomes are so low as to not support ven basic necessities, why are people even trying to live here with that deficient skill set? Save this town for those who can afford to live here and discretionary ability to support its commercial core. Just because someone graduates from UCSB and likes living here, does not mean they get to demand others subsidize their inflated sense of entitlement. You get the job first and then you choose where that pay schedule lets you live and feed yourself. Your argument has everything backwards.

letmego Dec 10, 2018 09:56 AM
Unity Shoppe Food Supply Crisis

Well we start talking about having enough food and call it being "rewarded", there's really something wrong. There are enough families in town barely making it due to high housing costs and low incomes (it's not rocket science) that one would note it's not "self inflicted". And if you care enough to help those who less fortunate than you, then you accept that a certain % of those who are helped have made bad choices. Stress, particularly financial stress, actually makes you stupid. It damages your brain.