UCLA Health Opens in Montecito title=
UCLA Health building in Montecito (courtesy photo)

By edhat staff

UC Los Angeles (UCLA) has opened a primary care health center on Coast Village Road in Montecito.

Located at 1187 Coast Village Road, the office currently specializes in internal medicine and plans to expand to specialty cardiology care later this year.

The office is currently open from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and patients are allowed to make appoints on their website.

Amanda Scott, MD and Dennis Hughes, MD, both internists, are the two doctors running the facility. Dr. Scott completed her Internal Medicine residency training at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. Before joining UCLA Health, she spent over six years at a tribal clinic in Santa Ynez, working for over three years there as the medical director.

Dr. Hughes completed his medical training at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, where he practiced for several years. He moved to San Francisco in 2007 and worked nearby on the peninsula before joining UCLA Health in 2020.

UCLA Health is also expected to open a cancer center focused on hematology and oncology with infusion in Santa Barbara early next year.

More information on the new health center can be found here: https://www.uclahealth.org/montecito/

RHS Sep 06, 2020 07:07 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Read the story: These doctors are not "Bruins". UCLA has abased itself in chasing money in the medical field for decades. Their staff has sold private medical information and organs of patients. The set up their facilities in luxe parts of LA (Harbor UCLA existed much before this current crap and was an actual teaching outreach into blue collar LA). Now they choose Montecito? I thought a state funded institution like UCLA would care for the community, not just the celebrity rich.

a-1599454486 Sep 06, 2020 09:54 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Sources and citations, please. I was shocked to hear this. Then I thought, maybe it will be easier for the number of residents who end up there anyway. Like my mom did for orthopedic neck & neuro surgery. Eh. Sure, I'm a supporter of national health care. But we have to care for people today. Hope I don't have to think about accessing them. Most important, support end of life planning!

yacht rocked Sep 06, 2020 12:41 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

If there's an EdHat reader who is involved in the business of retail healthcare (rather than armchair observers like myself), I'd appreciate an explainer on why UCLA is expanding into SB County and why Cottage is opening Urgent Care units from North SB County into Ventura County. Why isn't Kaiser moving North? Interesting times.

a-1599432470 Sep 06, 2020 03:47 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Kaiser only works because they are able to offer primary care AND specialists in-house. This can't happen with a lone urgent care, or even a group of urgent cares or small office buildings. Kaiser would have to go big if they were moving into this area.

a-1599453829 Sep 06, 2020 09:43 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

I repeat: La Cumbre Mall or Paseo Nuevo -which would make the best new medical center? I vote La Cumbre Medical Mall for the peak experience.

a-1599462267 Sep 07, 2020 12:04 AM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

I always considered Kaiser Permanente a N. CA business, while knowing they were statewide. They are based in Oakland. They are HUGE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Permanente ----------------------------------------
I once helped a friend who was insured by them. Took them to Ventura for IV (non-cancer) treatment. I was impressed. I'd welcome them.

SBSand Sep 06, 2020 02:35 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Lots of movement in the health care industry right now! They are all trying to expand, stay tuned, I'm sure we will see more things in the upcoming year....

a-1599428594 Sep 06, 2020 02:43 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Kaiser would either have to buy out Cottage Health - or build their own hospital - Paseo Nuevo could become a health center. Or La Cumber Mall?

a-1599428783 Sep 06, 2020 02:46 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Hmmmm ...county spending millions to rent the old Sears Bldg to transform it into a back-up covid care surge center. So the county invests our tax dollars turning Sears into a temporary medical facility, then later Kaiser swoops in and buys it up for themselves and establishes a foot print locally?

a-1599434237 Sep 06, 2020 04:17 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Keep an eye on Cedars and Dignity, both interested in gaining a foothold in Santa Barbara. And btw, UCLA also has office space leased next to Cottage.

a-1599441190 Sep 06, 2020 06:13 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

.......the "nearly dead" of Santa Barbara lore are now an economic growth magnet?

a-1599461404 Sep 06, 2020 11:50 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Where have you been for decades?! ;-) This is not new! (says an almost 60 year resident)

a-1599497614 Sep 07, 2020 09:53 AM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Nothing new: Why do places like Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and Silicon Valley have the highest ratio of doctors to population? Follow the money. For most in the medical field it is not so much about care for others as care for yourself.

a-1599441300 Sep 06, 2020 06:15 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

4:17 Should one wait until well after Oct 15, to think about switching supplemental Medicare plans to see who will be the players for next year? Currently Blue Cross and Humana.

Sail380 Sep 06, 2020 08:36 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

For everyone that said Cottage was a monopoly. The Big Dogs are here to show you what a monopoly really is..

chico berkeley Sep 06, 2020 09:33 PM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

I'll take Cedars over all of them.
They have the best attitude between Drs. and staff I have ever seen.
I have had the pleasure of having something rare,Only Cedars could help with. Not Cottage,not Dignity, Not UCLA, not USC and last and for sure the least,UCSF.

RHS Sep 07, 2020 09:51 AM

FOR THOSE ASKING CITATIONS FOR THE UCLA MEDICAL CENTER ABUSES HERE ARE SOME:

salsipuedes Sep 07, 2020 10:05 AM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

I have been seeing an endocrinologist at the UCLA office in Ventura for a couple of years, after learning that it would be a 6-week wait to see one at Sansum, even with a referral and labs that indicated I needed treatment. The care there is great, the staff attentive, and follow-up care very personalized. It's well-worth the drive.

PitMix Sep 08, 2020 07:46 AM
UCLA Health Opens in Montecito

Just to remind you, this is not Walmart trying to bring down prices for their low wage employees. This is another big medical corporation trying to expand their territory. I doubt this will decrease health care costs for anyone. I hope I am wrong.