Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning title=
Reads 20549

Update by Edhat Staff
12:15 p.m., July 20, 2017

Roger the Scanner Guy reported a kayaker was attacked by a shark, just east of Stearn's Wharf around 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

According to scanner traffic, the kayak was attacked by the shark, but the kayaker was uninjured.

Numerous shark sightings and interactions have been reported in recent months. On Wednesday a 24-hour shark sighting advisory was been posted after a local fisherman reported seeing a 13-foot Great White shark off Leadbetter Beach.

According to KEYT News, another shark attack took place Thursday morning just east of Goleta Beach. A paddleboarder was attacked by an 8-foot great white shark who knocked the paddler into the water as it bit the nose off the board. The paddleboarder was reportedly unharmed.

Edhat will update this article with more information as it becomes available.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
11:25 a.m., July 20, 2017

Water Rescue, 200 feet from Stearn's Wharf, rescued by a private boater with no injuries.

Flicka Jul 21, 2017 07:15 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

Well, if the sharks are color bling then "red" is just a human take on what sharks like. Bulls are color blind too so although it's traditional to use a red cape any color would get the same results.

mtndriver Jul 21, 2017 04:46 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

I'd never heard that sharks were attracted by red so I did a little research. The most current understanding of shark vision is that they are color blind, so not attracted to red or any other color. I've heard some people claim they are attracted to yellow or orange, but when I searched for info about that it seems scientists attribute that to the contrast with the water, not to sharks actually seeing those colors. Adult great whites would probably be most interested in prey that looks like seals or sea lions around here, dark and sleek shaped. Like a person in a dark wetsuit....

taraSB Jul 20, 2017 10:53 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

Oh great - now I can only use my new Tabasco-colored Red Bikini for sunbathing? Hmph. But seriously, does anyone have intel as to how close "dangerous" (ie., not playful juvy) sharks come to shore? I love splashing around and duck-diving waves on all of our beaches - but am pretty timid and don't go out very far. If anyone has shark-awareness advice or links to share relative to our SB shores, please share? thx :-)

a-1511225192 Jul 21, 2017 11:17 AM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

I've read numerous times that most attacks occur within about 3 feet of water. That could be because that's where people are mostly playing or because it's where a lot of species of shark actively feed, or both. Either way, if you are past your knees, you are in "shark zone." But, don't worry too much. They've always been there and always will (hopefully). VERY rare for a human to get bit. Yesterday was pretty extraordinary though.

new2sb Jul 20, 2017 08:47 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

Not to worry! It was just a juvy! They only like to play! Yep, I am sure the kayak was red or something...the guy holding the kayak on the other SB news sites had a red one with a big bite in it! Brilliant observation! Had he not pulled his arms and legs in, the water would have been red too!

Bug Girl Jul 20, 2017 02:53 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

Roger, your comment made me think of the kid in "Jaws" that was snorkling with a fake fin. Made me laugh. Now I want to watch that movie. "It's just Blue-Fish!"

420722 Jul 20, 2017 01:03 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

A-1500 the only person that freaks out is you. I just express my opinions on edhat I don't attack others unless they say something to me first and you jump all over me everytime. I AM entitled to an opinion even if you don't like it. The only freak is you and once you realize that you will be ok :) have a good one.

a-1511225192 Jul 20, 2017 01:11 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

Yeah because calling people who report shark sightings "psychotic" (your words, not mine) is just your opinion and not an "attack" others who disagree with you....

Bug Girl Jul 20, 2017 01:02 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

what do you bet that the paddleboard was red? Probably the kayak too. Sharks are attracted to red things. Even that video posted a few days ago the person on the board that was checked out by the juvenile shark, it was cruising around a few PBers and only approached the red one.... (That was shown). Glad no one got hurt. I'm sure it freaked everyone out. Stay aware folks! And count yourself extremely lucky if you get to see one of these magnificent creatures, because chances are unlikely that your children or grandchildren will have that ability, as the oceans start dying off more rapidly.

420722 Jul 20, 2017 12:57 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

I'm right here laughing, all the warnings and panic and they still got attacked. Can't mess with nature and can't predict attacks either. Sharks will be sharks.

ZeroHawk Jul 20, 2017 12:26 PM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

reports of another in Goleta, unconfirmed, kayak hit. Also, confirmed report, fisherman spotted 13ft GW at Leadbetter Point... they are out there folks...

Roger Jul 20, 2017 11:29 AM
Two Shark Attacks Reported on Thursday Morning

Swimmer was in the water yelling for help boater in a 26 foot sailboat rescued him helped him out of the water another subject on the wharf called in the rescue...Fire department engine 2 and medics there to evacuate....More to the story victim was on a kayak that was attacked by a shark....Swimmer was not bitten is non injured kayak different story. Good luck getting that shark to replace the kayak.