By an edhat reader

What neighborhoods are the best for local kids to trick-or-treat? I moved to a new neighborhood and noticed hardly any of the family's trick-or-treat there. Where do all the kids go?

a-1511009236 Oct 31, 2017 11:55 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

Up on Lincolnwood there were 2,000 counted by us, but it could be much higher. Vehicles lined the streets, double parked, and Hope was nearly cut off by parking two and three deep. Almost everyone said "Thank You" and were most kind. It is good fun for the little ones.

a-1511009236 Oct 31, 2017 01:30 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

It's sad that parents worry about missing a ball game (or even part of it) when Halloween is such a fun event for children. Really?

sacjon Oct 31, 2017 01:35 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

It's not just parents "worrying" about it. Kids like baseball too! It's the first time since 1988 the Dodgers have been in the World Series and it's kind of a rare thing for any LA team to play in the WS, so a lot of (older) kids I know are cutting their trick or treating short to watch the game as much as possible. Nothing wrong with that. What is sad is people on here belittling others for liking sports. My kids love baseball and we're going out, but coming back to watch the final innings (hopefully!!)

a-1511009236 Oct 31, 2017 10:22 AM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

No one comes to my home and there are few children of that age nearby. But where I used to live huge amounts of children were imported in vans and trucks to sweep the street like locusts. (I would quit after about 140 pieces of sugar were dispensed.) I was totally appalled by the lesson the parents of these greedy youngsters were teaching. Now I understand there are apps that will direct the children (probably driven by parents) to the houses that have the "best" loot. This is not your neighborly sharing of fun and camaraderie that I understood the holiday to be.

a-1511009236 Oct 31, 2017 11:38 AM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

Are you saying it's become another entitlement ? You better have that candy ready pops or else! lol

Tongva1234 Oct 31, 2017 11:05 AM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

The Eastside on Voluntary down by the Milpas roundabout there are kids everywhere and families ready for trick or treaters.

a-1511009236 Oct 31, 2017 08:52 AM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

The Westside, on the cross streets near W. Micheltorena, always has a lot of kids, and a few fun houses/yards nearby. The kids who live around here seem to have a lot of fun, and get plenty of candy.

cbilly Oct 31, 2017 06:59 AM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

If you travel out of your own neighborhood to get better candy - you and your family are in the opposite section of the winners bracket!

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 05:54 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

I can't recommend a neighborhood, but I can say that very little kids are welcome at about 6:00 pm, but most kids should wait until it is dark, or near-dark. Anyone coming before 5:30 will be turned away--I gotta get home from work, get myself together for a minute, ya know?

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 03:04 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

In 20 years, what will matter more? Spending quality time with your loved ones, or some lamebrain sporting event.

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 03:34 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

My 11 year old son is a lifelong Dodger fan (on his own, not my influence - I'm an Angels fan), but he said this morning he'd rather go trick or treating than stay home for the game. BUT, he was pretty upset about last night's game so we'll see what his decision is tomorrow...!

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 03:25 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

Well since we are all Dodger fans (even the kids) I think the night we all sat and ate pizza and watched them win, would matter. One night of not running around for a full hour (since that's the max we do anyways...candies=cavities=big dental bill) shouldn't kill their souls. Know what I mean?

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 03:01 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

I have a separate, but relevant question. What time is it ok to head out with the little ones? The Dodgers are playing tomorrow, and I for one don't want to miss any of it. I am willing to miss 30 minutes or so though, to be fair and all.

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 02:17 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

Who said anything about grabbing goodies? Perhaps this family just wants their children to enjoy the evening in the presence of other families.

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 02:54 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

The neighbors in my area always take their kids elsewhere. No one has their porch light on and is passing out candy. Also some family's are in areas that are mostly condo complexes, not easy to go trick or treating.

Flicka Oct 30, 2017 09:26 AM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

In Carpinteria I used to get over 100, not all from our neighborhood. I had lots of decorations and some haunted music so it was all a draw. I got tired of going whole hog after about 10 years but always was glad to have kids enjoying it all, neighbors or not. Having fun makes good childhood memories.

a-1511009236 Oct 30, 2017 03:35 PM
Trick or Treat Neighborhoods

not my part of it! Just choose the houses with decorations and activity. Lincolnwood is THE SPOT! I'm east of there