Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

Reads 2043

By an edhat reader

I heard a big crash one night this week and told my husband that sounded like a tree. He thought I was hearing things, and I went out with flashlight in the rain to look around, but could not see anything out of place.

Next a.m. I got a call from him that there WAS a tree down across the street in Modoc preserve. In fact there are two very old/tall trees down with about 4-5ft diameter trunks.

I spoke to the guys that are chopping them up today to see if they found any nests as I often heard owls hooting from that vicinity and have also seen hawks in the canopies. Glad for the rain, but sad for our previously thirsty and dying trees (and their dwellers such as woodpeckers). Wish I would have snapped a picture before they were chopped up. I am saving a piece to memorialize our time here as we are moving out of the county after 20 yrs here.

a-1558616254 Feb 23, 2019 10:27 AM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

I wonder who calls the shots for maintenance, care and up-keep at the Modoc Preserve? Is there a Board ? An agenda ? We live close by and I've always thought it was a Hope Ranch entity.

a-1558616254 Feb 23, 2019 10:04 AM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

I'm all for dead wood being left for habitat. If there's room (and there's plenty at Modoc Preserve, then let falling trees lie and molder away. Plenty of insects and other animals make use of dead wood.

Luvaduck Feb 23, 2019 10:04 AM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

Aside from their importance to Monarch butterflies, I'm not sorry to see them go. They're beautiful and smell good, but they are serious fire hazards and not a native species. Their oil can send incendiary sparks for a good mile at least.

ParvoPup Feb 22, 2019 08:45 PM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

I'm confused. Are the birds cashing out their Santa Barbara equity and buying another country? I suppose it's doable - my friend sold his place an APS and bought Paraguay.

a-1558616254 Feb 22, 2019 07:14 PM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

Yeah. The old "birds will flap their wings and find another tree/bush" saw. It's not like birds are territorial or anything.

a-1558616254 Feb 22, 2019 02:39 PM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

I was talking to a tree guy who said alot of trees are coming down b/c their roots have gone shallow b/c of lack of water these last 8 years.

Cadillackid Feb 22, 2019 01:22 PM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

Hope ranch tree service to the rescue! They do such amazing work!!!

4358ed Feb 22, 2019 04:04 PM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

..why couldn't the tree be left (fallen) as it was, as it would be in "true" nature?

Flicka Feb 22, 2019 01:11 PM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

Sounds like the poster is only moving out of the county, not the country. Eucalyptus trees have fairly shallow roots so when the ground is wet they can go over easily.

a-1558616254 Feb 22, 2019 11:41 AM
Trees Down in Modoc Preserve

We were in SLO about a week ago and saw 3 fallen trees. Two were huge eucalyptus, and the other was a possibly an Italian stone pine. The good thing about birds is that they can easily find another place to live by flapping their wings. We also thought about moving out of the country, but came to the conclusion that the US is the place to live...and live well.