Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

Traffic Accident with injuries at West Arrellaga and Chapala Street.

a-1574270987 Oct 22, 2019 11:06 AM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

That was this time - but this is a good opportunity to bring attention to this awful dangerous intersection. I've almost been hit myself from cars on Chapala (crossing the street) as have others. People start to proceed and then people going to fast appear out of nowhere. Even after this accident, people were speeding past the scene on Chapala and they had to set up a barrier. Ridiculous how people drive. SLOW DOWN!

Roger Oct 21, 2019 04:28 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

Dispatch said moped so I posted moped if they said scooter I would have posted scooter but they said moped jus sayin.

a-1574270987 Oct 22, 2019 10:12 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

Let me help you out with this: Moped's run on gasoline. Scooters are either electric or run on foot-propelling power.

a-1574270987 Oct 22, 2019 10:12 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

Let me help you out with this: Mopeds run on gasoline. Scooters are either electric or run on foot-propelling power.

a-1574270987 Oct 22, 2019 10:17 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

Mea culpa. Goofing up big time here. Mopeds can be electric or run on gasoline. The difference between a Moped and a Scooter is, as YPYETR stated: You sit on a Moped and, hopefully, wear a helmet. With a Scooter, which can be gasoline or electric or foot-powered, you stand.

ypyetr Oct 22, 2019 07:31 AM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

Mopeds are motorized bicycles below a certain engine displacement size. Scooter has become more commonly associated with the ubiquitous "lime" or "bird" two wheeled stand-up style of vehicle since their introduction.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 06:32 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

I think moped and scooter to me at least mean the same thing. Maybe not technically but I'm no moped/scooter expert.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 03:02 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

I walk this intersection to and from work everyday, twice daily...Some of the commenters are dead on - drivers who come to the stop sign, almost always only look to the direction of on-coming traffic, and almost NEVER look both ways before gunning it to make it across Chapala. More often than not I find myself having to stop short of the vehicle because the driver just doesn't take the time to look before proceeding. A light at this intersection seems to be a no-brainer. It's worse than the other intersection was down the road before they finally put up a light there.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 04:19 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

FACTOTUM, Arrellaga has stop signs all the way up. The car who hit the scooter today rolled through the stop sign and it appears the scooter was on Chapala and hit the car broadside (couldn't stop in time though we heard the screech). From what I've seen it's the speed at which people are flying on Chapala that is really the problem, coupled with the fact that cars are parked on both sides of the street further reducing visibility especially when someone is speeding and comes out of nowhere.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 02:19 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

That intersection needs to be a 4 way stop. This happened at DLV and Arrellaga too - finally same thing, someone on a scooter got smashed (they had the right of way) and now we have a stop LIGHT there. This intersection has a light one block down so now they need a 4 way stop here too.

whiskybeach Oct 21, 2019 02:19 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

I walk this intersection every day. I was hit by a car in the same intersection when I was walking across Arrellaga. One problem I see regularly is with the drivers who are coming to a stop at Arrellaga. They tend to only look towards the direction of the one-way traffic on Chapala and don't look the opposite direction for incoming pedestrians. This doesn't sound to be the case with this particular accident, but count me in favor of a study on safety on that intersection.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 01:51 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

This was a scooter vs car - this intersection is getting worse and worse and the city does nothing about it. One day someone is going to be seriously if not fatally injured (this guy is lucky) and I think at this point, with all the accidents and near misses we'v ehad (people go over 50 mph down Chapala) the city has to face some liability here for not putting in a stop sign or light.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 02:17 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

FIRST - you are WRONG. Dead wrong. I see this every day, all day and all the neighbors here know it too - people go way, way too fast down Chapala and yes, up to 50 mph. We have a crash and smash at least once a month here if not more, now it's a scooter and BTW it was not the scooter it was someone who rolled through (tapped foot on pedal) the stop sign and crashed into him. And we DO need a stop sign and all of us who live and work in this area have agreed to bring this to the city's attention. Begone with you, person who likes to obviously speed around. Or maybe works for the city.

a-1574270987 Oct 21, 2019 02:08 PM
Traffic Collision on W. Arrellaga

FIRST - people don't go 50 mph DOWN Chapala - it is one way going up. SECOND, when is the road ever clear enough to go 50 mph? I travel that road several times a day and barely crawl along at 30 mph. With Mission St under construction there is an excess of traffic on the surrounding streets. My bet is the scooter was doing something stupid, as most of them do. ZERO liability for the city - no stop sign or light required.