By an edhat reader

Does anyone know what this tiny black slug-like pest is and what to do about it? This is a young Asian Pear tree.

biguglystick Jun 26, 2020 12:01 PM
Tips for Plant Pests?

PLEASE don't use poisons on your plants or in your yard, especially rodentcides! This seeps into the water, the land and it kills way more than just the intended targets.

goaty Jun 26, 2020 10:59 AM
Tips for Plant Pests?

I had this last year but none this year so it is not a permanent thing, I just picked them off but mine was a small tree

a-1594207212 Jun 26, 2020 02:51 AM
Tips for Plant Pests?

I wish I could help you. I too have a baby pear, planted in mid-2017, it's doing very well even if slowly, and had some similar damage. It went away. I use zero chemicals in my garden. I have my fruit trees fed yearly with, I believe, a 5-5-5 fertilizer. I have lots of lizards, many typical suburban birds, and I know skunks and opossums are regular visitors. I also have citrus trees, and a not yet fruiting loquat. Everything is gloriously happy and healthy, so good luck on keeping a not-too-polished yard that creates a healthy environment.

a-1594207212 Jun 26, 2020 02:54 AM
Tips for Plant Pests?

oh, dammit, I said I use zero chems! I use zero pest- or insect- or herb- icide! I do use chemical fertilizer, as I said.

d8vanilla Jun 25, 2020 03:14 PM
Tips for Plant Pests?

A BIG YES, for using Lady Bugs.... they will devour all bugs within hours. Buy them at ACE Hardware, wait till it gets dark before releasing them, otherwise, they will fly away. Water mist all the trees & plants before releasing. Lady Bugs will do the trick..... I use them all the time.

a-1594207212 Jun 25, 2020 01:42 PM
Tips for Plant Pests?

Blast them off with hose water. Works.

a-1594207212 Jun 25, 2020 01:37 PM
Tips for Plant Pests?

1) Asian pears do well in our plant zone? If you're zone 5-9.-------2) This site states it's "more of a cosmetic problem." --------Here's the info:----------I urge you to NOT use any type of pesticides.--------------- If you prefer to avoid chemicals, soaps and oils in the garden, pear slugs can also be blasted off foliage with a hose end sprayer.--------------------------- Read more at Gardening Know How: Pear Slug Pests – How To Kill Pear Slugs In Gardens https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/pear/controlling-pear-slugs.htm

pazala2 Jun 26, 2020 09:23 AM
Tips for Plant Pests?

Thank you! That is the pest. I don’t use chemicals or other non-organics in my garden, so spraying with soap is preferred and WORKED!! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

a-1594207212 Jun 25, 2020 12:14 PM
Tips for Plant Pests?

Try lady bugs and lady bug larvae, they are an amazing natural pest control without having to use chemicals. Also, BT spray by Monterey is another good option that supposedly is safe for other beneficial insects like bees, etc and is perfectly safe for fruiting and flowering trees/plants. Spinosad is another one, but this is semi-toxic to birds and other living things.

a-1594207212 Jun 25, 2020 01:40 PM
Tips for Plant Pests?

The problem with using Ladybugs is that they will fly off if there's not enough food. You need a huge infestation of "bad" bugs to keep Ladybugs interested in your plants. ************************Also: "Buying live ladybugs and releasing them in your garden can also have a down side. Some believe that it can upset nature's balance to let a bunch of ladybugs go in your garden because sometimes you can get ladybugs that are not native to your area."

a-1594207212 Jun 25, 2020 10:09 AM
Tips for Plant Pests?

Yes, i do...............................cut down the tree .