By an edhat reader

Just a heads up for edhat readers that the Goleta City Council is considering making Hollister Ave timed parking in Old Town. Below is the notice:

City Council will be considering timed parking restrictions on Hollister Avenue in Old Town at their upcoming City Council meeting on February 19, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. It has long been a goal of the City to increase the amount of public parking in Old Town for use by visitors. Recent efforts have focused on increasing off-street parking to add parking inventory to Old Town. This item is anticipated to start begin around 6:45 p.m. The staff report can be viewed here.

shaggy Feb 16, 2019 07:38 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

As an Old Town business owner, timed parking is essential. We receive calls daily about the inability to secure any parking. The gracious bank donated most of its lot to public parking but, area employees are filling that daily. Should make arrangement to time that lot too.

Red Creek Feb 16, 2019 12:16 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

In the" old days" we didn't need parking meters, because there was lots of parking and not lots of people. It has changed, and it has become very difficult to access our favorite old stores now. People just leave their cars for days on Hollister, to the great detriment of the businesses. The proposed timed parking is one solution, and is a result of population increase, not a desire to change Old Town, but to keep existing businesses and character of the area.

LocalMatt Feb 15, 2019 06:21 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Believe it or not, Larry's auto parts is the best parts store in goleta or Santa Barbara. I was going to buy new windshield wipers there today, but I couldn't find parking. I will wait till another day to buy them from Larry's. Local place with great customer service. I think meters for parking would make it easier to shop at stores in the future.

sbsea Feb 15, 2019 04:05 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Guess what?! Santa Barbara and Goleta are amazing places to live, and people are going to continue to move and develop here. Is that less than desirable for people who have been here forever? Of course. But that is what is happening across the nation. If you live in a desirable area, people are going to want to move there. I understand people not enjoying the changes that come with it but there really is no way to reverse. Even high cost of living hasn't stopped people from coming here in droves.

sbsea Feb 15, 2019 05:06 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

I'm pretty sure more people are coming then going, but yes, they aren't the same as a decade ago.

sbsea Feb 15, 2019 05:06 PM

a-1553573799 Feb 15, 2019 04:24 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

They are slowly not becoming great places to live hence the number of people leaving.

a-1553573799 Feb 15, 2019 03:34 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

What is ruining SB - and alot of smaller towns and cities across America - are ppl from larger cities like SF and LA bringing their "ideas" somewhere that don't fit the character of the town. The owner of the public market is from SF and had no care about the character of SB - just wanted to make it like SF- the areas she likes in SF. If they like those areas so much why don't they just stay there instead of imposing it on places where it's totally out of character and ruining towns?

LocalMatt Feb 15, 2019 03:33 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Change is inevitable. Embrace it otherwise you will go crazy insulting people thinking you actually make a difference.

a-1553573799 Feb 15, 2019 03:21 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Old Town Goleta is much like SB used to be - quirky, cool, down to earth, not the Disneyland SB is today plus way less homeless problems. Timed parking probably isn't a bad idea but other than that, for those criticizing it you obviously have not been around these parts very long if you don't even realize DT SB used to look like Old Town.

LocalMatt Feb 15, 2019 12:19 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Improving parking helps everyone. There is not a negative thing about it. Not sure why everyone is so hostile about change and improving the town.

LocalMatt Feb 15, 2019 11:34 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

"Localmatt - on SBTAHOE's behalf, "we" is most Goleta residents I've ever spoken to about it" so this is your reason? How many goleta residents have you spoken to? 5, 10, 100, 1000. How many people do you think live in goleta? I wont shop there because to me it looks run down and my time looking for a parking spot is worth going somewhere that has parking.

a-1553573799 Feb 15, 2019 11:48 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Localmatt - ok, see you later! We really aren't too concerned about losing your "business."

l8dauto@aol.com Feb 15, 2019 10:18 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

I have a business in Old Town. I support leaving it the was it is...........but you cannot outrun change forever. I see vehicles parked in front of my store ALL DAY, sometimes for days without moving. We need timed parking to make those offenders move their vehicles, to allow customers to have a place to park. It will no doubt be a struggle for me and my employees. I personally park one to two blocks away so as not to take up a potential customer space, but many others do not show this consideration. This timed parking deal is a COMPROMISE that has something for everyone, but no compromise can make everyone happy every time. Phil Unander-Larry's Auto Parts

LocalMatt Feb 15, 2019 09:45 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Sb Tahoe. "We like it that way". Who is we and who do you speak for. Personally I think it looks trashy with ugly store fronts and many massage parlors. Times change. It's time for an update.

a-1553573799 Feb 15, 2019 10:02 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Localmatt - on SBTAHOE's behalf, "we" is most Goleta residents I've ever spoken to about it. I've never heard anyone other than non-Goleta residents say anything negative about Old Town.

ZeroHawk Feb 15, 2019 09:15 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

I grew up there, it's not changed much at all...and shouldn't. it's not a business hub. it's just a strip of random businesses. Parking meters there would be a complete waste of time, money and resources. someone else mentioned a FACT....people don't park their cars there for a long period...why? there's NOTHING there to be parked for a long period. No movie theater, no sports stadium, no large concert venue or a big shopping mall. frankly, this is just a very stupid idea and a money grab by the city officials.

SB_TAHOE Feb 15, 2019 09:07 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

LocalMatt are you a troll? Old Town is bustling, thats why there’s not enough parking. It’s not simply surviving, it’s thriving. It’s funky and we like it that way. The fantastic new park is opening in a month or so which will bring even more visitors. I don’t necessarily agree with timed parking along Hollister. Maybe an offsite parking lot with a shuttle?

Bug Girl Feb 15, 2019 08:28 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

I love Old Town Goleta as it is, I go there regularly. Leave it be! It's one of the only parts of the SB/Goleta area that still has charm and soul left. Must they try to get rid of all of the appealing parts of this place?!

ohplease Feb 15, 2019 08:26 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

The employees of the businesses often park on Hollister, taking up the parking which should be for the customers. Same thing happens in the lot at Community West. We need timed parking on Hollister so people can get in and out more quickly. This supports the existing businesses.

Bookit Feb 14, 2019 09:08 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Can't we keep Goleta friendly and not be giving people tickets all the time. There are better ways to solve whatever problem you perceive than handing out parking tickets

l8dauto@aol.com Feb 15, 2019 10:23 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

The purpose was not to increase tickets, but to make people have consideration for the businesses and MOVE their cars during the daytime. The "whatever problem" is simply not enough parking, and we are not like downtown SB, with lots of parking lots etc.

LocalMatt Feb 14, 2019 05:55 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

It looks like Mexico. The front of buildings look old and cheap. If you want old town to survive, sprouse up the curb appeal

MountainMan4865 Feb 15, 2019 01:46 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Really? What would you rather look like? Thousand Oaks? The strip malls in Santa Maria... Perhaps the strip mall on the other side of the highway on Calle Real, with a whole lot of vacancies? Why don't you just shop over there, and leave Old Town to those who appreciate it?

420722 Feb 14, 2019 05:46 PM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Most people don’t leave their cars parked on hollister/old town for very long, people usually do their errands or eat or shop and then leave. What is the deal with old town lately? It’s thriving yet has the city acting like it’s this huge burden on the community. I don’t get it, leave old town alone and find something that really does need help. I think parking restrictions will have a negative impact.

l8dauto@aol.com Feb 15, 2019 10:40 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

Well, a lot of people DO leave their cars parked on Hollister and the side streets for hours and days. This solves that problem. I will be negatively impacted as a person that has to park a few blocks away, but then my customers will have a place to park. The burden placed upon the city is the constant complaints about NO PARKING, and this is a compromise towards fixing that.

mgm Feb 15, 2019 09:47 AM
Timed Parking in Old Town Goleta?

I agree with you completely. I think the better question though is, what wrong with the City Council always trying to pick a bone with Old Town? I'm all for some flowers, and maybe some painting (like the little church across from Chapala market) but other than that they need to just leave Old Town alone!!!