by Roger the Scanner Guy

Code 415pc: Disturbance. A subject was threatening and yelling at children in the 1100 block of State Street. SBPD is responding.

Roger Jun 29, 2021 09:46 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Was refusing to leave a coffee shop threatened to assault someone there now walking South on State street toward CVS yelling at Children.

Roger Jun 29, 2021 09:51 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Reporting Party does not want to sign a complaint warn the subject for 602pc Trespassing only..The police knew who he was before they got there.

CoastWatch Jun 29, 2021 09:53 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Words out, more and more are on the way... Enjoy and remember the Old Santa Barbara. Wokeness and accepting these outdoor camping criminals is now a way of life.

sacjon Jun 29, 2021 10:10 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

COAST - there have been homeless people all over downtown since I was born here in 1976, this is not some new "way of life" in SB. The gutter punks/urban travelers have been here since at least the 1990s. Why is it always doom and gloom with you guys? Downtown SB has ALWAYS been a hotbed of urine-soaked doorways and gamey homeless people. Nothing new here, calm down.

Roger Jun 29, 2021 10:25 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

@Sacjon This craziness and threatening violence out of control camp fires has not always gone on. Once in a while drunks got out of hand but not like the past few years. That is why people are angry and they have every right to be.

bosco Jun 29, 2021 10:41 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

While there have always been homeless (and always will be) the situation has gotten way worse over the last 2 years. You must not get out much, because this not like it was just a few years ago. And it's not just Santa Barbara, it's all over the State. We are reaching a tipping point.

sacjon Jun 29, 2021 11:00 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

BOSCO - yeah, I just sit in my house all day commenting on things with no real life experience..... what do you think I am? A typical Edhat commenter? Hahaha! Nope, I'm out every day and I see homeless people of all varieties. Sure, may be a little more in the last few years, but the problem has been visible, known and prolific for decades. It's not as if this is a new phenomenon in our community.

sacjon Jun 29, 2021 11:02 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

ROGER - yeah, these rampant "camp fires" over the past few years are a new thing. Then again, might be just more reporting on them, so more exposure. Not sure why all of a sudden there are more fires. The overall homeless problem, even the violent ones, has been here since I was a kid. But, the trouble makers (urban travelers) are relatively new in the past 20 years and seem to be the worst of the problem.

CoastWatch Jun 29, 2021 11:14 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

@ GENERALATITIES- I am a native born and raised and worked (unfortunately) in a job that had contact with the vagrants almost daily for 30 yrs... There goes your BS theory.

doulie Jun 29, 2021 11:15 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Coast - you only know how SB was since the mid-nineties, given your reported YOB. SB has always had transients, but way back when they seldom created the problems experienced today. Way back when most transients didn't travel too far above Haley Street. If anything was "urine soaked" it was generally their pants. I heard most were arrested for public intoxication and either hauled off to jail or redirected to "the jungle," an area between the tracks and Cabrillo Blvd., east of SB Street where many camped. It's rumored some that were chronic problems downtown or the beach area would find themselves in a railroad boxcar that would transport them to their next stop away from SB. Of course this is only a rumor but I can see how this could eliminate problems created by some. I can't say it's "always doom and gloom," but I can say the negative issues have steadily increased.

sacjon Jun 29, 2021 12:06 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

DOULIE - sounds like you were directing that at me, not Coast. Do you honestly think I have no memory of my childhood (early to mid 80s)? Did you forget yours? I'm sorry to hear that. Once again, to be clear, I do think it has gotten worse, but in general, it's nothing new to have homeless people and gutter punks all over downtown and the waterfront area. I grew up hanging out down there, I remember it vividly. Sorry you don't.

Roger Jun 29, 2021 12:19 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

I have lived down here over 20 years and listen to a scanner daily and we did not have the out of control fires back then the homeless used candles back 10-15 years ago to warm themselves inside tents and to read. I knew many of the homeless then. I think alot of these issues started around 2012 when Ken Williams retired from social services. There will never be another Ken Williams.

Roger Jun 29, 2021 12:31 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

@Sacjon Sounds like you were directing that at me not Bosco. I am handicapped now and cannot walk very far without extreme pain so "Yes I sit on my ass at home and comment like an Edhat commenter." It's too bad you have to put others down to make a point you lose credit that way. I think DOULIE has been here alot longer than the rest of us and though I do not agree with him much of the time he is pretty sharp.

sacjon Jun 29, 2021 12:34 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

ROGER - no, not at all. I was talking about all the other commenters here. I'm sorry if you though I was hinting that at you, that wasn't my intent at all. DOULIE was responding directly to my comment it seems, so I responded back. Again, I meant nothing towards you. Ok?

GeneralTree Jun 29, 2021 02:09 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Coastwatch - you want to break out the Zyklon-B and get rid of the homeless that way. We know what you are. Go back to the kiddie table.

JB86 Jun 29, 2021 05:09 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Doulie: I believe the 'boxcar' story is true, based on statements made by people I knew who were local cops in the '60's. Though rare, it did happen, and was amusing to those doing it - until one 'bum' was put in a refrigerated car and arrived DOA in Ventura. I think that put a halt to the practice. A one-way bus ticket is the modern equivalent, practiced in many places around the country. This can actually be a win-win when the person is going home to caring family.

Chip of SB Jun 29, 2021 02:36 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Anyone care to venture a guess as to whether or not the subject of this article will be given compulsory treatment to address his addiction/mental health problems? Who are we kidding, that simply isn’t going to happen. Anyone care to guess how long until they dump him back out on the street?