Threatening Subject on State Street

Code 415: Homeless subject threatening to kill a business owner in the 1400 Block of State Street. SBPD are responding.

BondJamesBond Jul 27, 2018 08:06 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

I have walked State St for many years on my lunch hour. The area between Cota and Gutierrez is like running a gauntlet of threatening and disgusting vagrants, even in broad daylight. Since the Ventura murder, if someone threatens you, believe them! Surely, if law enforcement just enforced existing laws on the books, this problem would be solved or at least lessened. It's only about 50 people, many of them from out of town. Rents/property values on State St. are comparable to other Calif. coastal communities.

GeneralTree Jul 26, 2018 01:38 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

The globalist, elitist conservatives that own state street property charge rents that most businesses could not support - because they can.

Eggs Ackley Jul 26, 2018 07:46 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

I keep hearing the same thing: I have a problem I want someone else to fix. Nothing happens. Sometimes one must take the bull by the horns. How about a march down state street on a Saturday morning? A few hundred people blocking traffic and suggesting to the dirtbags that they change their ways or hit the road. Civil disobedience has worked miracles in the past. I can't be there, farmers market, kids swim practice, sewing circle etc. But I'll be there in spirit.

Ducky Jul 26, 2018 07:14 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Homeless have been here forever-never had a problem with them. It’s the nouveau rich, yuppie scum that have made the place almost intolerable.

CoastWatch Jul 25, 2018 11:23 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

High mortgage, High property taxes, bums on every off ramp, urban campers, panhandlers, State St. a mess / mix of bums, tourists and overpriced food and junk... Paradise.

Factotum Jul 27, 2018 08:40 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

City requires high property taxes, increased property taxes, and increased new resales at higher and higher prices in order to balance their city budget, which also expands each year automatically. Please understand the game these people are playing. No one talks about decreasing city personnel spending; just increasing taxes. Why is that?

PitMix Jul 25, 2018 03:39 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

It's a stressful experience being threatened by someone who looks like they have very little to lose. I pressed charges and had the guy found and arrested. But threats without actual violence are very small potatoes in today's environment so I never heard from the cops again about testifying. I still see the guy wandering around the Westside. Not sure what else can legally be done about him though. I still think it is a national problem that needs a national solution.

a-1558536534 Jul 26, 2018 09:12 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

It really is. Remember the guy that was stabbed while dining at Aloha in Ventura/ By a homeless person? Same thing at the campsite in Malibu. My parents, when they visit, worry about even walking down State by themselves out of concern that a mentally ill homeless person might attack them.

a-1558536534 Jul 25, 2018 03:11 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Not too many businesses in the 1400 block. The funeral home at Sola & State? The wig shop? (Is it still there?) I, too, wish our City would clear the "unsheltered" off State and surrounding areas. I have a pal who works downtown and he says the amount of crazies that harass shop workers and pedestrians, et al, is deplorable and getting worse every day.

NamasteYogi Jul 25, 2018 02:22 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

I have read been reading A lot of these posts about people seeing how much people defecating and urinating along the streets down on State Street. I found that hard to believe, but when I was walking out of the natural Café the other night and went into the back parking lot, sure enough someone at the bus stop had their pants down and we’re over and all I could see was there butt in the position.

a-1558536534 Jul 26, 2018 10:41 AM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Not true. I worked for years "Further up" state street and on a regular basis, there were incidents with the homeless vagrants causing problems. We had one that decided to make our back steps his campground and every am there were empty vodka bottles strewn about, even though our recycling bin, which he was using to build his campsite "walls", was right there. This was in the 1200 block, and the blocks you noted have the same problems and stench.

Ahchooo Jul 25, 2018 09:01 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Go farther up State Street, to the 900, 1000, 1100 blocks. It's clean. Go to the museum. Shop at Lewis and Clark or Santa Brbara Arts. Eat lunch at Petit Valentien or State and Fig. Go to CVS or Old Navy if you must. Browse in Anthropology, and buy a card at the Paper Source. Look at baby stuff at Chicken Little. Please don't tar all of State Street with the same brush. Much of it is quite pleasant.

Factotum Jul 25, 2018 04:37 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Voters have to elect people who will promise to do something about thi,s and then have their backs in support when they actually do something. The current crop will not do anything. Don't re-elect them. The city attorney is very good about these issues but he needs a new city council to get the real work done. Who will you vote for to replace Gregg Hart who states he is committed to doing nothing. Who will you vote for in 2019? Plan ahead and make sure you elect people who will be mutually supportive to this goal.

SoCalMommy Jul 25, 2018 03:32 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

Downtown SB is deplorable. It's filthy, it STINKS to high heaven, the vagrants are aggressive and only getting worse by the day... Yet we still pay absurdly to live in this "beautiful" city. This will only continue to get worse until our "leaders" get off their arses and do something about it.

NamasteYogi Jul 25, 2018 02:35 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

I actually don’t visit it so often, because it’s so hideous down there. We went to Yogurtland, and some guy sat in the chair outside and just stared at us the whole time we were sitting there. It was really uncomfortable, and he was beckoning to us for money. It is hard to believe in our community, especially with how hard the city is to deal with with anything you want to do for zoning and permitting, and the police will always mess with the citizens, that this is happening on State Street. It’s insane. This is off-topic, but I don’t understand how all these people are driving around with completely blacked out tinted windows. I thought that was illegal too, and I see absolutely no enforcement because there are so many cars that have them.

a-1558536534 Jul 25, 2018 02:29 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

You find it hard to believe? You must not frequent State very often. Just the stench alone is disgusting.

420722 Jul 25, 2018 01:44 PM
Threatening Subject on State Street

What are all the newbie trustfund hipster millennial kids gonna do when all that’s left of Santa Barbara is them, homeless and gangbangers living off of section8? We’re getting there really quick.