The Hunter and the Hunted title=

By Chuck Cagara

This beautiful hawk appears in our yard from time-to-time, sometimes grabbing lunch on the fly in the form of a small bird or lizard and drinking languidly from our bird baths.

Yesterday he or she was eyeing a freshly-minted Western Brush Rabbit which proliferates in our neighborhood.

For those of you who skip right to the last page of a mystery novel, here is the denouement:  Little Bunny has lived to frolic another day.  Whew!

a-1576166725 Sep 16, 2018 08:59 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

Definitely a juvenile/immature Cooper's. WOODRUFF nailed it.

Curmudgeon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

8293 - "Definitely a juvenile/immature Cooper's." ? OP here. When I went to Cornell Ornithology Lab web site and listened to recorded calls for both Cooper's and Red-Shouldered, my hawk definitely makes the call of the Red-Shouldered and nothing like Cooper's. So now, I must come down on the side of the Red-Shouldered.

Flicka Sep 07, 2018 10:08 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

Wonderful, aren't you the lucky guy to have such a visitor. I'm going with the posters saying Coopers Hawk. I've never seen a juvenile red tail like this.

Z Sep 07, 2018 06:43 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

Looks like a Cooper's hawk to me. However, because it's ID is disputed we'll need more pictures (these are great).

woodruff Sep 07, 2018 01:40 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

This is a lovely and healthy immature Cooper's Hawk. Note especially the yellow eye ( which gives it a distinctly Cooper nutso look), the white eye stripe, and the vertically white striped underparts, as shown here: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/id Compare it to the juvenile Red Shoulder shown here: http://www.pbase.com/rcm1840/image/131287710

Curmudgeon Sep 07, 2018 11:48 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

TAGDES: See my note above. So now, for me, "the squawks have it."

Curmudgeon Sep 07, 2018 11:46 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

WOODRUFF and TAGDES: OP here. When I went to Cornell Ornithology Lab web site and listened to recorded calls for both Cooper's and Red-Shouldered, my hawk definitely makes the call of the Red-Shouldered and nothing like Cooper's. So now, I must come down on the side of the Red-Shouldered.

tagdes Sep 07, 2018 11:06 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

No need for more pics, my bad, as Woodruff says, it's a Coopers. I went for the more common and forgot to check the uncommon. The "eyes have it".

KendoViejo Sep 07, 2018 07:43 AM
The Hunter and the Hunted

I'm with TAGDES on this ID and the great shots comment.

Curmudgeon Sep 06, 2018 10:34 PM
The Hunter and the Hunted

Thanks, TAGDES, for the ID. I always confuse the Red-Shouldered, Red-Tailed and Coopers.

a-1576166725 Sep 06, 2018 09:35 PM
The Hunter and the Hunted

You take wonderful photos, Mr. Cagara. Thank you for that and thank you for protecting wild animals.

Red Creek Sep 06, 2018 09:18 PM
The Hunter and the Hunted

Wow. Thank you. Could you share info about your camera and lens?

Curmudgeon Sep 06, 2018 10:38 PM
The Hunter and the Hunted

Yes, RED CREEK, any one of several Nikon DSLRs and, in this case, the 200-500mm tele. Drawback to these shots is that they are taken through an old double-paned garden box window. I'm happier when I can sneak into the back yard and have an unobstructed view between the lens and the subject.