The Elusive Western Tanager

Scroll through the above photos

By Chuck Cagara

Often elusive because it forages high amongst the treetops, the Western Tanager presents a special treat when it comes into view fully and clearly.

Today presented such a treat when it flew out of a Bottle Brush tree and landed on a nearby branch to enjoy its insect lunch.

elderswimmer May 14, 2019 05:10 PM
The Elusive Western Tanager

Here birdie birdie I have a bird bath and food waiting for you in Santamaria!!!!

EastBeach May 14, 2019 10:44 AM
The Elusive Western Tanager

I was lucky to see a flock of Western Tanagers at Manzana Camp (along Manzana Creek north of Figueroa Mountain) while on a backpacking trip. They were in the trees and when they decided to take off, there was a fantastic burst of color in the sky!

Yeti May 14, 2019 09:51 AM
The Elusive Western Tanager

Gorgeous birds. We have them almost every year. Drinking nectar from our giant black and white bird of paradise and from our humming bird feeders. A couple of times they have torn up and bent the leaves from the bird of paradise and made nests high up in the plant. You can hear their distinctive chirping long before you see them.

a-1574083093 May 13, 2019 11:01 PM
The Elusive Western Tanager

My big surprise (and only viewing) was at The Wilcox Property about four years ago. Talk about excited. I was practically jumping up and down . . . and no-one around to share it with. (My dog has no appreciation for birds, but always waits patiently and knows to stand still as I watch them.)

a-1574083093 May 13, 2019 03:11 PM
The Elusive Western Tanager

When we had a Western Tanager show up at our fountain last year, we were excited! Haven't seen it since, but I'll start looking out there more often. Thanks for the photo! Gorgeous.

tagdes May 13, 2019 03:10 PM
The Elusive Western Tanager

The Western are elusive but also common during migration with over 30 sightings in Goleta and a dozen in Santa Barbara this spring. The Summer Tanager which only comes here in the winter is as bright as the Scarlet, but of course not in its' breeding colors when here. Were about a dozen here this winter. Hasn't been multiple Scarlet Ta sightings recorded here since 2007.

two abbys May 13, 2019 01:53 PM
The Elusive Western Tanager

Last year around this time we had a Western Tanager feeding for a few weeks at our oriole feeder! I was hoping we would see one again this spring but so far no luck. I still remember the one time when as a child I saw a Scarlet Tanager high in the trees in an eastern forest.