By an edhat reader

I'm looking for Edhat tips and advice for young people getting tested for their driver's licenses at the downtown DMV as it's time for my daughter to get tested. Does anyone out there have any advice?

Factotum Jul 30, 2018 10:33 AM
Teen Driving Test Advice

Be a careful, thoughtful, knowledgeable and observant driver at all times when one is behind the wheel. And know the DMV booklet backwards and forwards.

CS805 Jul 30, 2018 10:58 AM
Teen Driving Test Advice

My advice is to drive to the Goleta DMV instead. Drive around the neighbors around Ellwood beach. That's where the DMV tests go.

REX OF SB Jul 30, 2018 11:00 AM
Teen Driving Test Advice

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say, CS805. Avoid the SB DMV like the plague.

Lina24 Jul 30, 2018 02:51 PM
Teen Driving Test Advice

I was going to advise the same as well!! Also be sure that before turning right, make sure and look over your right shoulder to ensure that the bike lane is clear of bike riders before you enter it. It's an automatic fail if you fail to do so.

horsegirl Jul 30, 2018 11:12 AM
Teen Driving Test Advice

Hair in a pony tail so it swings when she looks over her shoulder and makes those movements more noticeable, take her around there and practice making left turns without touching the yellow line as the streets can be narrow so it might take some practice

a-1532976799 Jul 30, 2018 11:53 AM
Teen Driving Test Advice

Just be a confident young woman and the rest will fall in to place no matter which DMV she chooses. If it's downtown then really get to know the one-way streets. Need to be confident on your turns and use those signal lights every time. Always look over your shoulders before a lane change. Mirrors have blind spots ! Have conviction in your answers.

Mtn.driver Jul 30, 2018 11:59 AM
Teen Driving Test Advice

Ha Ha - edhat reader who submitted the question here - ironically just as I received the edhat notification email that my question had been posted, I was watching my daughter drive off with the examiner. But, keep your tips and advice coming for others; it's good stuff. BTW, she passed!

a-1532983035 Jul 30, 2018 01:37 PM
Teen Driving Test Advice

The best tips I can impart are these three: (1) When driving on a one-way street, the examiner will typically tell the examinee to turn right or left within the next block. The driver needs to make sure to change to the appropriate lane and not make an illegal turn from the wrong lane. (2) No one (and I mean NO ONE) stops behind the white "limit line" at stop signs anymore. The driver needs to make certain to come to a complete stop BEHIND the line---front bumper of vehicle behind the line-----and THEN proceed past the line to stop again and check for oncoming traffic. (3) Driver must yield to pedestrians at crosswalks. This means allowing the pedestrian(s) to cross from one curb to the other, without the driver "cutting off" the pedestrians. One added tip: Do not forget to use those turn signals when parallel parking---both going into the space and coming out. I wish drivers in Santa Barbara would follow these rules.

Flicka Jul 30, 2018 03:58 PM
Teen Driving Test Advice

Congratulations to the new driver! Passing means you knew the rules.

pstarSR Jul 30, 2018 05:36 PM
Teen Driving Test Advice

study the book, and set an appointment for goleta. santa barbara is more crowded, I took mine in goleta and they cruised me around costco and the residential out there. downtown SB is a madhouse even on calm days, makes for more nervous beginner drivers that can make mistakes.

a-1533012747 Jul 30, 2018 09:52 PM
Teen Driving Test Advice

Learn to drive well? If one doesn't pass, one needs more practice.

a-1533057896 Jul 31, 2018 10:24 AM