Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

Update by the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office
11:36 p.m., August 16, 2017

Juvenile Armed with a Knife is Apprehended in Grocery Store Aisle Following Pursuit and Standoff with Deputies

At approximately 7:15 p.m. tonight, August 16, 2017, Sheriff’s deputies responded to a report of a group of juveniles shoplifting at the Vons grocery store located in the 100 block of Turnpike Road in an unincorporated area of Santa Barbara. Deputies pursued the subjects on foot in a residential area behind the store. California Highway Patrol officers responded to assist.

Deputies pursued a 15-year-old juvenile armed with a knife who ran in and out of the store. He was contained approximately 15 minutes later in an aisle. The teen was extremely agitated and continually threatened to fight deputies. For approximately an hour, Sheriff’s deputies attempted to talk the teen into surrendering peacefully. The juvenile tossed the knife onto the ground but ignored commands to surrender and continued to challenge the deputies to fight. He was ultimately apprehended with the assistance of a Sheriff’s K9 team.

The teen was transported by an American Medical Response ambulance to a hospital. Once he is released, he will be booked at Juvenile Hall on charges of felony resisting arrest, vandalism and theft.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
7:29 p.m., August 16, 2017

Foot pursuit of a suspect in the 100 Block of South Turnpike, suspect is armed and inside Vons grocery store.

Roger Aug 17, 2017 12:42 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

There are still folks swearing up and down the kid did not have a knife or a weapon maybe someone in the real news business ought to get a story from their side of this thing...I'm just noting it..roger

Roger Aug 16, 2017 10:27 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

For those of you were were there and say you saw the whole thing and he wasn't armed..I reported what I heard over the scanner I wasn't there. That is what I do report what I hear...nite nite

tagdes Aug 17, 2017 12:11 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

You've got to be kidding. What one hears on the scanner is almost always more than one cops' perspective and they usually know most everything that's happening once they are on the scene. Of course they are reporting only what's happening in front of them. Duh, that's what they are there for and with their communication they know the whole incident far better than some witness that sees only one part of what's actually happening.

a-1591102083 Aug 17, 2017 09:03 AM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

Roger, it just proves that what you hear on the scanner is just a single person's perspective of a situation they know little to nothing about and are reporting only what is happening in front of them.

SBSand Aug 17, 2017 06:02 AM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

Roger you did a great job! I live nearby and heard some crazy siren action and really appreciate being able to come on here and see what was going on. Thanks to you!

Roger Aug 16, 2017 09:03 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

Right now they are transporting the kid to Cottage by AMR and SBSO is escorting....I'm glad it ended well hopefully the kid will get the help he needs...

Roger Aug 16, 2017 08:44 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

Right when I took a break happens every time...Well all is well Roger over and Out...I don't know if the store is going to be open probably.. I hope they let him talk to his Aunt.

Roger Aug 16, 2017 08:36 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

They have a call holding in Isla Vista on the subject he is a juvenile....They are going to have his Aunt respond to speak with him...So he is a juvenile I hope he is ok when I hear calls like this I remember I was no angel either but more confused probably like the kid. I hope he is ok...His Aunt is responding.

Roger Aug 16, 2017 07:56 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

Anyway 417 is Brandishing a weapon I wasn't sure if he brandished the knife but I heard the officer go into pursuit and say something about a knife so I posted 417 it happened so quick...Officer says they are talking to the suspect.

Roger Aug 16, 2017 07:48 PM
Suspect Held at Gunpoint Inside Vons on Turnpike

K-9 One responding code 3 lights and siren from Ventura...Officer says the suspect has thrown the knife to the ground but he said he is still trying......I did not hear the rest.