Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

By edhat staff

Sea lions were caught on camera surfing waves off the coast of Santa Barbara Island last week.

The video was posted by Pacific Offshore Expeditions on January 7 with a crew hoping to dive and film underwater, although the weather had other plans.

“Our trip to Santa Barbara Island was bumpy and dive conditions questionable,” the company’s Instagram caption read. “But what we found in light of this was a wonderful surprise: surfing sea lions! None of us had ever seen such sustained and enthusiastic wave riding from pinnipeds before. It was a joy to watch!”

John Wiley Jan 23, 2021 12:54 PM
Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

So fun to watch! Thanks, Ed. The video didn't play for me, but I guess it's the same one I found on uTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffdKgO-i8k

ChemicalSuperFreak Jan 23, 2021 08:46 PM
Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

Those are some insane wave rolling by SBI. There's a sea lion rookery on the island, and in calmer water it's a lot of fun to dive with the pups.

a-1611531048 Jan 24, 2021 03:30 PM
Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

WOW! I couldn't think of more to say. I had no idea they played this hard; that seals did this. Amazing stunning gorgeous. I can't thank Pacific Offshore enough!

a-1611531347 Jan 24, 2021 03:35 PM
Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

I'm not a sailor or diver, but I've lived here all my life and have friends who are, and I've never heard of action like this. Have other long/old-timers? Just glad to have seen this video!

Minibeast Jan 24, 2021 04:39 PM
Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

Dolphins do it, so it stands to reason Seals/Sea lions have joined in the fun. There used to be a local photographer here, Scott Preiss (sp?) who took terrific photos of Dolphins bodysurfing at Leadbetter Point. Couldn't find those pics, but here's a UK article link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/awe-inspiring-pictures-show-surfing-6184609

Minibeast Jan 24, 2021 04:42 PM
Surfing Sea Lions Off Santa Barbara Island

Oops. I jumped the gun. Name is Scott Price. Here's a link to one of his Dolphin pics (taken locally): https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/seven-surfing-dolphins-photo-print-242887031