Support Edhat in 2021

Happy New Year edhat readers!

Wow, what a year. It's hard to put into words the ups and downs of varying degrees we've all faced this year. It's my sincerest hope that you are all healthy and staying safe as we continue to navigate this "unprecedented" territory. (We wouldn't be a media website if I didn't use unprecedented as least once).

As we start a fresh new year and leave behind 2020's hardships, I'm reminded of the value of staying connected. Especially with friends, family, loved ones, and community members. I hope edhat has been able to keep you all informed, entertained, and connected with our community through these difficult times.

It's hard to believe that edhat has been around for over 17 years since Peter Sklar first hit the publish button in November 2003. This website truly is a labor of love. The dedicated staff, scanner reporters, columnists, and valued commenters continue to provide a local service.

This past year has been extremely difficult, like every other small local business, revenue plummeted and some tough decisions had to be made. But I'm committed to keeping edhat around as long as you'll all keep reading, commenting, and subscribing.

To help us keep a stiff upper lip in 2021, please renew your edhat subscriptiongift a subscription to a friend or loved one, make a financial contribution, and urge your favorite local businesses to advertise with us! [Instructions on these below]

We wouldn't be able to keep the community engaged and informed without the support of our readers. Continue sending in your questions, photos, news tips, reports, and anything else you think the community would like to know, and we'll keep doing what we're doing.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support and readership, we greatly appreciate it. And let's raise a glass of a beverage of your choice to a happier and healthier 2021.

Sincerely,

Lauren Bray (publisher),
Ed (the boss),
and the Dedicated Staff of edhat.com

RENEW YOUR EDHAT SUBSCRIPTION

Many of you have subscriptions on auto-renewal but if you've let your subscription lapse and would like to re-renew, click here. If you're unsure what the status of your subscription currently is, click on "Manage account" or email us at ed@edhat.com. (Keep in mind if your subscription is currently active, you may be signing up for a duplicate subscription. Try a gift card instead!)

GIFT A SUBSCRIPTION or MERCHANDISE

You can purchase a gift card for edhat subscriptions or merchandise through our Edhat Store. Give the gift of local news to a family member, coworker, friend, or yourself! While you're at it, pick up a very trendy edhat shirt, hat, or bag.

DONATE TO EDHAT

Click here to donate any amount of money to edhat. Keep in mind, any contribution to edhat, LLC is not tax-deductible and is considered a gift to keep this local grassroots organization going. We appreciate the support!

CONTRIBUTE TO EDHAT

Are you interested in reporting and writing? Or do you love to listen to scanner traffic and are willing to report? We'd love to hear all about it. Email Lauren at lauren@edhat.com.

URGE LOCAL BUSINESSES TO ADVERTISE ON EDHAT

Visit your favorite local businesses and tell them how great they are and how they should advertise on Santa Barbara's best read website!

Friend of Ed, Restaurant Guy John Dickson, recently shared this vintage logo of edhat from yesteryear, and we think it's cool.

Ahchooo Jan 03, 2021 11:18 AM
Support Edhat in 2021

When we engage on Edhat it’s like we are in Edhat’s living room. Maybe we don’t always like their judgement on which comments to delete. But it’s their house. Edhat is very tolerant, overall.

dukemunson Jan 03, 2021 01:34 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Insufferable and annoying... that kind of sounds like keeping schools closed against all medical advice!!!!!

dukemunson Jan 03, 2021 01:23 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

That is also true! But they have let many of my annoying posts through...

But you bring up a good point. As much as I love Edhat I’m starting to think the nannies are one of the people I keep arguing with about schools reopening. Because they let a lot of annoying things through... but seem to be rather protective of a couple of posters... maybe that’s just protecting/supporting their own posts/arguments! Presumably the nannies enjoy a good debate too!!! (Would sure be disappointed if they were science Deniers like the anti school opening crowd... say it ain’t so ED!!!)

a-1609708730 Jan 03, 2021 01:18 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Duke, perhaps the Nanny finds some people insufferable and will delete if the posts are, well... annoying.

dukemunson Jan 03, 2021 01:10 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

This is true! My point was simply that Edhat has been a little squirrely the last month. It’s their website and they get to do what they want... it’s just felt like they have been too quick to Delete of late. That is their right though... and it’s my right to be slightly disappointed!

a-1609706806 Jan 03, 2021 12:46 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Well said AHCHOOO. The people who are complaining the most are the ones who constantly read and comment on edhat and are frequently deleted for inappropriate statements.

Andrea Smith Jan 03, 2021 09:02 AM
Support Edhat in 2021

I agree with the comments about censorship. Sure Edhat can do what they want to a degree without violating protections but, doesn't matter. I know the staff says they delete in accordance with the community rules but I've seen comments stand that clearly violated the rules, but they had a certain political bend that apparently is preferred. I agree with others that, until that stops my $$ stays in my pocket. That is also MY right.

a-1609707076 Jan 03, 2021 12:51 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

@Andrea, what protections would they be violating? They are a private company with their private rules. Free speech doesn't apply. If you feel like commenting something hateful, bigoted, and discriminatory, that is YOUR right, but on a private website your free speech doesn't matter and you will be deleted. Unfortunately a lot of people these days will say it's "political" when really, they're being bigoted and discriminatory. I've seen people with both left, right, and middle discuss their points of view and none were deleted. It's when they start becoming aggressive and hateful the deletions start. People also forget that private companies are liable for content and comments on their website. If Andrea gets mad and comments about someone or something and edhat doesn't remove it because of "her rights," then edhat can get sued. It's so easy for you all to criticize without thinking it through.

sandy1 Jan 03, 2021 12:23 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

My thoughts too Andrea. Reason I no longer pay or even post anymore.

a-1609692701 Jan 03, 2021 08:51 AM
Support Edhat in 2021

They let Roger violate the guidelines regularly and defend him, even as he attacks those making valid points

Roger Jan 03, 2021 02:45 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

That is fine I feel like I lost my mind and it's somewhere in this pile of crap in my cottage...:) Thanks Duke...

dukemunson Jan 03, 2021 02:20 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Roger is awesome!! I’m wearing my scanner guy shirt now! Keep on rocking roger!

a-1609706734 Jan 03, 2021 12:45 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Roger is constantly deleted. And then he goes back and makes more comments being upset that he was deleted, and then those too are deleted. You must not be paying attention.

NostraChumash Jan 02, 2021 01:19 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

I would have but one request, & then be very happy to support edhat..& that is, to be able to speak on behalf of the Chumash people as freely as those who disparage us.
Such has never been the case on this forum.
When this small adjustment is made, I'll dig into my pocket.

CoastWatch Jan 02, 2021 11:50 AM
Support Edhat in 2021

I. too, agree that the Edhat Editors have a polilical BIASED view when it comes to deleting anything that reflects bad on our 99.9% Democratic political "leaders" or the agenda they hold so dear to their hearts.

ChemicalSuperFreak Jan 03, 2021 02:11 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Duke, yes, you should look back though the deleted comments. When people who comment anonymously have their comments deleted, their Edhat username is revealed.

dukemunson Jan 02, 2021 01:20 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Several certainly did! But quite a few others seemed to be more a case of the moderator being a bit heavy handed...either that or really liking/defending a few posters who I’ve had to correct of late.

a-1609620765 Jan 02, 2021 12:52 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Look back through the deleted comments and it's all there. Even yours Duke, which did violate their policies.

dukemunson Jan 02, 2021 12:41 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Easy comment to make anonymously (and we’re talking anonymously on an anonymous website)!

a-1609618779 Jan 02, 2021 12:19 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Said by Coastwatch who is frequently deleted for posting rants about Communist China, comparing the CDC to Hitler, and making a plethora of racist comments. I'm happy edhat deletes you.

Shame Jan 02, 2021 10:00 AM
Support Edhat in 2021

I agree until censorship stops I won’t support any media

a-1609618664 Jan 02, 2021 12:17 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Looks like Parler is the best site for you Shame.

willow Jan 02, 2021 08:03 AM
Support Edhat in 2021

Edhat provides a valuable service to the community. Often, when I have been in other locations and wonder about what's going on locally, I think, "they could really use an Edhat here!".
Keep up the good work, Lauren!
Happy New Year, Ed!

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 08:35 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Dang it, I missed my last thought, to all: Email Edhat. They're very responsive. If you have an argument to make, discuss it with them.

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 08:15 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

If you don't like it, start your own message/news board.

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 09:50 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

And I misread. I have no excuse, as much as i'd like to try to wiggle out of this... I deserve all the castigation I get. I am so sorry!!
I am hanging my head in shame and going awayl

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 09:46 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

dang it! I must learn to reference my posts! My "so sorry" was to 9:18. I read/graded UC papers for years. Simply needed a stamp: "The apostrophe takes the place of the removed letter. Its = possessive. It's = It Is."
I learned this in grade school. It transferred to grammatical puzzles such as "your" (possessive) vs "your're," a contraction of "you are."

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 09:39 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Anonymous posters can have constructive thoughts. They're often afraid of retaliation, even softball stuff like online comments. I've often gone anonymous in political discussions. (Have you ever logged on to FB? or any other popular social media? lol. I do usually use gmail, but that's about the extent of my social media involvement. Yes, I realize that's all it takes.) Fear the "Like" or down vote button more.

dukemunson Jan 01, 2021 09:23 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Yep... that would be the correct way to write it...

dukemunson Jan 01, 2021 09:15 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

And that’s another criticism/disappointment I have with Edhat: the anonymous button! We are (mostly) all anonymous On here... having that option usually just means people have an opportunity to make it seem like people are agreeing with them. It’s a crutch/cheat. I can see where the intent was to help people anonymously bring forth news... but that’s not how it’s actually manifesting.

dukemunson Jan 01, 2021 09:12 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

What misinformation? You go anonymous to avoid being confronted every time your wrong. Public health said we’d be safer with school in session... that doesn’t fit your narrative though... so you dismiss it...

a-1609563436 Jan 01, 2021 08:57 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

That’s pretty rich coming from you Duke as you’re consistently deleted for spewing dangerous misinformation. The hand should be heavier when moderating you.

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 08:33 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Of course it's ok. Carry on, as we all do, and with pleasure. I love this site; it's a gift to the community. Have a lovely eve, I'm off to dinner.

dukemunson Jan 01, 2021 08:30 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Yin yang - is it ok that I love edhat but also think that the admins haven’t had their best stretch of late? Are we not allowed to question something we like? Edhat rocks... but I think the Edhat nanny has been a bit heavy handed of late.

SBsurferlife Jan 01, 2021 07:09 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Renewing my subscription right now! Thanks for all you do Ed and don’t let the negative nancies get you down, they’ll complain about anything yet continue to comment 100 times a day. It’s a thankless job but you’re doing a great community service!

John Wiley Jan 01, 2021 02:40 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Thanks Lauren, Ed, Staff, and Supporters! I hadn't noticed until just now that with local business so impacted, we seem to be missing Advertisers. If any do show up, I'll thank them. Meanwhile, I'm going to click the Donate button you've provided. Even though we're fortunate to have local news and information sources like Indy, Noozhawk, KEYT, etc., Edhat serves an important role in our local & regional mediascape. Especially during our disasters. We need to keep Edhat alive!

SBTownie Jan 01, 2021 02:19 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

I'd be willing to pay for EdHat (and I pay for other media including subscriber only podcasts and substacks) IF the censoring stops. Deleting abusive comments is fully the right thing to do, but the censoring of political ideas that you don't like is a real disappointment. I'd be willing to pay $100 for 2021 if EdHat allows "free speech" once again (with accommodations made for monitoring actually abusive language - slurs, threats, etc.).

SBTownie Jan 03, 2021 02:05 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

@ 4:45 - All of my beliefs are evidence-based. I'd go as far as to claim evidence as my religion. EdHat censors political ideas they don't agree with, regardless of evidence. Anyone is welcome to point out to me anything I have ever said on this website that lacks evidence. I agree there are plenty of people making false statements on this website or peddling conspiracy theories. I am not one of them. I also believe EdHat has the right to do whatever it wants. It is not a public institution. It doesn't have to commit in any way to allowing free speech. It just means I am not going to pay for the service - which I use every day - because of this. I love to support independent media outlets and would love to fork over some of my money to EdHat. But with the commenting changes (which by the way, must take way too much time for the mods to do - shouldn't they be working on more content, the site, etc.) that occurred mid-2020, I am not comfortable supporting a website that offers local news with an agenda that includes deleting perfectly reasonable or rational comments made by readers simply because it doesn't jive with their worldview.

a-1609562701 Jan 01, 2021 08:45 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

How do you get a screen name without subscribing? Been too many years since I didn't pay to remember, but I know I never had a name!
It was the fires that made me realize that Edhat deserved and needed to be supported with money.

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 08:21 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Yes, I misspoke. Twitter deleted my account because I do not own a cell phone. Yet no one has started a phone-less movment for their right to be on twitter. It just isn't that important to me.

Private businesses, even media businesses, have the right to edit their sites.
Just as private businesses have the right to control what customers do or don't wear into their establishments.
That's where the law stands these days.

Back to my point, yes, Edhat deletes some posts. Some are egregiously abusive and I too have notified Ed. Those are extremely rare. Few posts are deleted. Most are visible. I find it similar to Twitter, in regard to my user experience of what some call "censorship" and some call editing.

yin yang Jan 01, 2021 08:14 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

You ARE aware that, just like Twitter, most "deleted" messages are visible?
I'm not a fan of the inner workings of any site open to comments, but let this go. I see little censorship, IT IS A PRIVATE BUSINESS and -- most important -- there's NO other game in town! NO other local site any longer allows comments. Don't abuse this site, support it.

SBsurferlife Jan 01, 2021 07:06 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

Goodness Townie and Chem, looks like you proved Ed’s point. They really can’t please everyone, so much whining.

a-1609555533 Jan 01, 2021 06:45 PM

@ 5:43 pm -

Language has nuances. "Correction" does not mean the same thing as "criticism".

a-1609553458 Jan 01, 2021 06:10 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

There's a saying: "If you throw a rock at a pack of dogs, the dogs that yelp are the dogs that got hit."

dukemunson Jan 01, 2021 05:49 PM
Support Edhat in 2021

We all love Edhat (obviously!)... but You’ve had too quick of a trigger in the last month Ed!

Pages