By edhat staff

A student has filed a lawsuit against UC Santa Barbara's (UCSB) Police Chief for sexual battery.

The University's student-run newspaper, The Daily Nexus, reports a UCSB student identified as "Emily O." filed a lawsuit against James Brock of the University of California Police Department (UCPD) for sexual battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligence after he allegedly assaulted her at De La Guerra Dining Commons in August 2019.

The lawsuit states Brock came up behind the student and “grabbed her buttocks, slid his hand up her back and whispered in her ear.” She was taking a lunch break from one of her on-campus jobs at the time and immediately reported the incident to her supervisors and later to the UCPD Office, reports The Daily Nexus.

A spokesperson for the university stated the school is aware of a complaint in which an employee tripped and fell into another employee in a busy dining commons.

This is now the seventh active lawsuit filed against UCPD.

The full story can be read at dailynexus.com.

Rinconer Sep 16, 2020 09:01 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

Another lawsuit against UCSB pd?
You’d think the problem would be resolved after their fellow UCSB officers turned whistleblowers and filed lawsuits against the department for exactly the same reason as this new lawsuit has been filed.
Anyone with a badge have ears in this County,
or will the same criminal activity continue?

SBLetsGetAlong Sep 16, 2020 08:36 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

I am not for or against, merely stating how our court system is supposed to work and that we should not judge either person until we’ve heard all sides.
In our court system a person is innocent until proven guilty.
If you’ve ever raised children you know there are three sides to every story.
This animosity is u reasonable, if the woman was raped understand the animosity.
Let’s allow the justice, court, system to do its job and not convict someone on social media with no evidence and not hearing all sides.

vvorker Sep 16, 2020 07:58 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

They always drive each other crazy, due to the lack of activity, and over pay!
The UC can handle 98% of campus issues with Student CSO officers.
I always tell the UCPD, ....EASY MONEY!!!

ChillinGrillin Sep 15, 2020 07:24 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

UCPD is terrible, worse than the Sheriffs if that's possible. A few months ago one of their rookies was fired after getting drunk at a club and flashing his gun and badge acting like a big shot.

Bene Sep 17, 2020 03:17 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

In addition, when someone claims sexual harassment and immediately files for a big pay day, I am just not sympathetic. If her story is true, I'd feel sorry she had to go through that, but where are her damages? Someone touched her back. Where is the lasting damage? That is minor compared to what I and almost every one of my girlfriends have had to put up with--and no one ever wanted to help us pursue lawsuits for money, nor did we want to do so. My friends and I could tell her what sexual harassment really is--when the coach gives you an F in a track and field program, because you won't date him. That is an actual damage. Happened to me. I didn't want money. I just reported him so it wouldn't be easy for him to do that again, and I got the unfair grade fixed. When someone kidnaps you-- that can create some real damage. (happened to me.) I pursued that as a crime, not a pay day. If every small episode of harassment is considered an event of such great magnitude that a big court date and pay out must ensue, it takes away from the seriousness of the truly damaging crimes against women.

Bene Sep 17, 2020 02:11 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

Why on earth would I support her before I know all the facts and am sure she is legit? I find it astounding that suddenly people think we don't have to have any due process, and we can condemn people based on no research or evidence--just a quick emotional response.

Shmonk Sep 16, 2020 09:26 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

BENE - there's nothing wrong with seeking justice for wrong treatment. You should support her and hope for justice, seeing as you and your friends are also victims of sexual harassment.

Bene Sep 16, 2020 02:01 AM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

Why immediately jump on her side without knowing the evidence? There are also women who make up stuff in addition to men who are guilty of groping. My friends and I have been groped many times, and while it's not pleasant, we take care of the problem ourselves. Never thought to make a pay day of it.

SBLIFE Sep 15, 2020 04:17 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

The "spokesperson" should be ashamed of themselves for describing the incident that way. Either describe it objectively, without favoring either side, or don't describe it at all.

sblocal1967 Sep 15, 2020 02:25 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

Hard to imagine a 37 year veteran all of a sudden deciding to ruin his career. I would think this type of behavior would have happened before. https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2019/019466/leading

forrealnews Sep 15, 2020 10:41 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

Likely, it has happened MANY times. We women have this stuff happen all the time. As a 40 year-old woman who went to UCSB, I can tell you I sexually harassed by police 3 different times while I was in college. What the heck do you think #MeToo is about????!!! There is only so much we can do in a society that let's people like Brock Turner off, guys who rape women right in front of other people and they testify and the guys are still let off. Ridiculous statements by clueless people and it isn't going to stop until women start getting very violent because that's all men respond to.

oceandrew Sep 15, 2020 02:20 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

The way this is written implies that the Uni is claiming an employee tripping and falling into another is how they view the sexual assault by a UCPD officer on a student. Conflating two separate issues? BTW, isn't Ofcr Brock kinda notorious for reckless or inappropriate behavior?

forrealnews Sep 15, 2020 07:05 PM

CoastWatch Sep 15, 2020 02:16 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

The UCSB Police Dept needs to be completely disbanned and re-organized from the top (Chief) all the way down to their hiring procedures, or lack there of... UCSB Human Resources Dept is culpable as well- a TOTALLY mis-managed and corrupt Department.

Shmonk Sep 15, 2020 02:13 PM
Student Sues UC Police Chief for Sexual Battery

another UCPD lawsuit. All of these so called cops are scumbags. I’ve had friends tell me about older married cops trying to get with girls. They’re just as sleazy as IV landlords. I hope she gets a ton of money and he gets fired.