State Street in 1976 title=

By an edhat reader

A friend of my mom's is a photographer in Laguna Beach. He posts tons of pictures to his Facebook page every day. A recent dump of photos happened to be Santa Barbara in 1976. Cool to see how much has changed (and how little) over the years.

Does anyone remember some of these businesses? I didn't even know that the State Theater was a thing.

a-1571381643 Oct 03, 2019 10:16 PM
State Street in 1976

OP: State Theatre was the first place locally to show movies such as "The Graduate," "The Godfather," "Love Story." Sitting up in the balcony was sheer delight. The Granada was the place to see "Midnight Cowboy." Seems like a lifetime ago now.

a-1571381643 Oct 03, 2019 10:13 PM
State Street in 1976

Maybe I'm the only one who still remember's Herbst Plating? With all the trays and teapots in behind the huge plate glass windows? West side of State, just down from Ortega St.

sbolde Dec 30, 2017 06:35 AM
State Street in 1976

Almost forgot the Savoy Hotel, somewhere on west side of 400 State.

sbtraveler Dec 01, 2017 08:39 AM
State Street in 1976

Ott's Hardware store was a major destination......Andera's( a clothing store), Gillio Coin and Jewelry, Crown Jewelers and the New York Bagel Factory were in the 1100 block with Peningers above that, 1129 Restaurant and then Woolworths above that.

SBZZ Nov 30, 2017 09:08 AM
State Street in 1976

Ah - the days of parking in front of Casa Blanca's and then walking across the street for a cocktail at Joe's or vice versa.

a-1571381643 Nov 30, 2017 08:38 AM
State Street in 1976

Santa Barbara Travel may be the only business remaining in the blocks shown....and also has one of the oldest remaining neon signs...among the businesses gone: Copper Coffee Pot, Merlo's Cutlery, Osborne's Bookstore, Banks Stationery, Penninger's(replaced by D. Crosby Ross--now long gone, too), Silverwood's(corner of State and C.Perdido), Woolworth's, J.C.Penney, Crocker Bank(where Saks is now), Merrill-Lynch, Paine Webber, Blythe Eastman Dillon--all places where people in SB did business on a daily basis......

REX OF SB Oct 03, 2019 10:52 PM
State Street in 1976

I think you're referring to the White House, which was mid-block in the 700 block of State Street, right near the Pet House. Pep Boys started out at the northwest corner of State & Haley Streets, but then moved across State Street to where the 99¢ Store is now. For a while, there was a Wendy's in the 700 block of State Street. It was at that Wendy's that "Jonesy," beloved local color until he was caught molesting an 8-year-old, got himself stabbed (not fatally) after pissing off the wrong transient. Good times!

a-1571381643 Oct 03, 2019 10:10 PM
State Street in 1976

Kerry's Restaurant on the SE corner of State & Victoria. It was a pancake place with bamboo decor. That's going WAY back to 1950s. Then, years later, it was Copeland's Sporting Goods (or some such) for quite a while.

a-1571381643 Oct 03, 2019 09:52 PM

a-1571381643 Oct 03, 2019 10:01 PM
State Street in 1976

Reading this Sept. 2019. Thank you, Rex. I have been trying to think of the name "Little Audrey's" for months now. At long last, mystery solved. -----And it was "Nanking Gardens" and "Pelch & Sons." Now what was the name of that men's clothing shop? "White" something or other. Oh, damn. "White's?" On the west side and lower block part of State. You forgot the Pet Shop (Larry's), Western Auto, T, G &Y, Thrifty's, Bank's Stationery, Lerners, Phil's Shoe Store, and there was Sunburst Farms for a while, too. Frank's Rice Bowl. Dear old Frank. He wouldn't let just anyone in to eat at his restaurant. After Bay Rex (same location or next door>>>>?) there was the Remnant Store for decades----State & Anapamu.

sbolde Dec 24, 2017 12:38 PM
State Street in 1976

I also remember Ruth's malt and candy shop about the 600 block State, Mission Pool & Billiards, Westen's Clothes. I believe it was "Willy's" shoe shine stand across from Ruth's where Willy & Sonny did a great job on shoes. Rumor was you could leave some cash in your sock, make a bet on whatever and the money would make its way across the street to someone running the operation. Just rumor you understand:) Gutierrez Drug store @ Gutierrez & State, Esau's Restaurant, Tad's Liquor (Gutierrez & State), Barbara Liquors (State @ Cota). There was a market, I believe it was at Ortega & State, that had all their fruit and other food items close to the State St. sidewalk. When closed, a large steel gate type enclosure was pulled across the front. This gate had a diamond shape pattern that would expand and contract. Thrifty's, next to HT Bennett, Picadilly Square & its various businesses, Mr. Milton Furs, Coburn's Restaurant, Loops Restaurant, Links Drive-In, Tony's Log Cabin Restaurant, Leon's Restaurant, Mission Theater, Crown Jeweler's (Figueroa & State), USAF recruiting office & a small barber shop next to the State St., entrance to the News Press building. I believe somewhere on lower State St., was a bar called the Hula Hut. Looking back it was a great time when all these businesses were in operation.

sbolde Dec 24, 2017 12:39 PM

REX OF SB Nov 30, 2017 09:11 AM
State Street in 1976

ADDENDUM: Sorry, I didn't mean Jimmy's Oriental Gardens, which was on Canon Perdido Street, I meant Frank's Rice Bowl on State Street.

REX OF SB Nov 30, 2017 09:09 AM
State Street in 1976

Other ex-businesses on State Street included H.T. Bennett Music Co., Ralph Runkle Bootery, the Children's Shop, Kong's, Little Audrey's, Lerner's, M. Fredericks, Benson's, Slavik's, Firestone's, I. Magnin, J. Magnin, Kimo's Polynesian Shop, Jean Carroll Music, Bonnie Langley Music, the Western Union office, JC Penney's, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, Pep Boys, La Vista Club for the Blind thrift store, Salvation Army thrift store, Nang King Gardens, Jimmy's Oriental Restaurant, Alpha Thrift Store (two locations at different times), Ott's Hardware, Wilson's Furniture (later McMahon's Furniture), Ferguson's Appliances, Pelch's Newsstand, Hitchcock Dry Goods, Woolworth's, Newberry's, Kress, BayRex Pharmacy, See's Candy, Weston's Camera—and these are only the ones off the top of my head. These days I'd be hard pressed to name even one business in each block of State Street.

tagdes Nov 30, 2017 08:53 AM
State Street in 1976

And just a few years prior Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, Pelches (sp?) Johnnys's Italian, Little Audrey's and Lindy's. Sears of course had already moved to La Cumbre when these photos were taken.

Roger Nov 30, 2017 07:30 AM
State Street in 1976

I got here in 1980 used to be an Asian man who made sandwiches in the 400 Block of State for acouple bucks, his grand kid was the waitress I think his name was Louie, then there was the Greek Deli at Ortega and State sold subs real cheap too I remember all the food lol....Times were sure different back then Thanks for the pictures.

Flicka Nov 29, 2017 09:37 AM
State Street in 1976

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end." How many remember that old song? Before parking lots, when I was a kid I remember Mom going around and around the block looking/hoping for a parking space on State. She could get really aggravated.

ladylagomorph Nov 29, 2017 09:29 AM
State Street in 1976

It looks like he Granada Theater!

ladylagomorph Nov 29, 2017 09:27 AM
State Street in 1976

STEVENLEUCK....I agree. A blip in time since graduation from SMHS. Only there's so much more traffic!

REX OF SB Nov 29, 2017 09:04 AM
State Street in 1976

I'd almost forgotten the KIST radio tower atop the Balboa Building (second picture down). Not visible in the pictures are the huge red neon letters on the side of the building that spelled out KIST. The letters used to flash, but when the anti-flashing sign ordinance came about, they remained on all the time.

a-1571381643 Oct 03, 2019 10:07 PM
State Street in 1976

I was at that concert. We sat right up front, in the middle. Maybe four rows back from the stage. Didn't UK Squeeze play, too? (Before they shortened their name to Squeeze.) "Cool for Cats." "Tempted." "Black Coffee in Bed." Wikipedia: "In the United States and Canada, the band and album were dubbed UK Squeeze owing to legal conflicts arising from a contemporary American band called "Tight Squeeze."

a-1571381643 Nov 29, 2017 09:29 PM
State Street in 1976

I too had forgotten! Of course I listened to KIST and Top 40 Countdown, until I was 12 or 13. My father worked in the Balboa Bldg for years/decades. We got to watch the horse parade from there until I rode in it. Never explored or discovered the vaults though, for good reason! My brother saw Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin) at the Granada in mid to late 70's.

a-1571381643 Nov 29, 2017 07:59 AM
State Street in 1976

I really miss: Douglas Telescopics 531 State Street Santa Barbara, CA. 93101 He used to close up shop every year during Fiesta Week.

macpuzl Nov 29, 2017 11:08 AM
State Street in 1976

Last I knew, Doug is still hanging in there, retired on the Mesa. Several years ago, he donated a bunch of unused telescopic mirror blanks to the SBAU.

NancysBL Nov 29, 2017 04:33 AM
State Street in 1976

Loved the State Theater!! Unity Shop is there now - the building was split in half after the theater closed and housed 2 stores for years until Unity took over the building. The buildings in these pictures haven't changed too much even though the businesses have turned over. Parking on State Street seems so strange! This is also around the time that the one way streets going north/south (I know, not exactly) were created. New sign laws too - effected upper State more because it outlawed pole signs as well as neon except for a few exempted (Joe's Cafe...)

StevenLeuck Nov 28, 2017 05:47 PM
State Street in 1976

"years since then"???? Seems like only yesterday it was the year after my graduation at SMHS. Great memories right there.

Ducky Nov 28, 2017 02:10 PM
State Street in 1976

Awesome-thank you so much for sharing! I love that, if I’m not mistaken, the view from the second pic hasn’t changed all that much.