By an edhat reader

Did anyone else receive a Spanish-only alert on Tuesday evening regarding the debris flow from the Cave Fire? Thankfully I understand Spanish but I can't help but think about those who cannot. Also, why send out an alert so late in the evening (10-11pm) when people are sleeping?

Cadillackid Nov 27, 2019 10:29 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Yes we totally got it and I understand Spanish too but I was 100% in my sleep and I was SUPER confused when I heard it and tried to read it

Mtn.driver Nov 27, 2019 10:32 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

I got the Spanish only alert, as well. I understood it was about potential debris flow from the Cave fire, but I wasn't clear why I received the alert in Montecito for the Cave fire.

Pebblehill Nov 27, 2019 11:18 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Calm down folks. Everyone that signed up for the alerts got it in Spanish only this morning. It was a mistake.

Zenyatta19 Nov 28, 2019 12:51 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Emergency alert systems have no room for error, period. The OEM needs to get this right before more people die. The communication through out this entire event has been terrible. The information on the county websites was not current and it actually directed readers to check social media for updates. Really? Seems like county staff must have all been on vacation already...

Bodyboarder73 Nov 28, 2019 12:22 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

I'm signed up and I didn't receive any alerts on my phone. On the other hand I received I received an alert in Spanish only on my logging device for work that uses GPS. So their was obviously an error in the system.

Bodyboarder73 Nov 28, 2019 12:37 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

I forgot to add I got the alert in English on my phone for the fire the day before and the alert for the fire on my logging device with GPS in English as well the day before. But in Spanish only on both for the debris flow. So it has to be a system error.

Bodyboarder73 Nov 28, 2019 01:11 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

I meant in Spanish only on my GPS work device and not on my phone. Ugh, sorry, night shift problems.

a-1574933364 Nov 28, 2019 01:29 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

I got alerts by phone (one) and email (two). One email was in English, the other was bilingual.

FernaldPoint93108 Nov 28, 2019 07:11 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Yes got the annoying Spanish-only alert while I was sleeping. Sometimes I wonder if interns are running the alert program. I have now shut off all alerts on my phone because of it.

sbbeachguy Nov 28, 2019 07:15 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

It seems that every time we have an emergency the alerts go to areas way outside the areas that are in danger (extra alerts) or are so late that we have already reacted to the emergency (like the time when the person with the passcode for alerts was not on site). In other cases there is really no emergency at all.
For these reasons I am NOT signed up for county alerts and I am sure that many others are not as well. Fix this and I will sign up.

a-1574981692 Nov 28, 2019 02:54 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

How does the system know where you are? You may be out of the area, but the system still has the address the phone is listed for. Or, you may wish to return if close enough to get important papers, etc., if you are away from your home. You also may wish to avoid returning if the situation is bad enough.

a-1574955243 Nov 28, 2019 07:34 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Got both spanish and English. I think that there should be one alert that has both... Slept thru them all, knew that I was safe from flooding so finally relaxed.

MyHonorStudentB Nov 28, 2019 09:32 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Spanish alert even though I signed up on an English site with all my browser preferences in English and don't even have an Hispanic surname. WTFF?!?

Luvaduck Nov 28, 2019 01:44 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Debris or fire headed your way doesn't speak Spanish, English, Welsh or Tagalong. If you get a message from that authority, call and seek clarification if conditions haven't been all that bad. If things are really iffy, grab your shoes, coat and whatever you can on the way out the door. Call when you're somewhere safer. I set my phone on the loudest volume and put it next to the alarm clock and pack a suitcase as if I were going camping and leave it in the car for the duration when we have these situations. Another, "curated" important records/money/valuables/prescriptions I keep inside. If conditions get freaky in my vacinity, I leave. The only thing I run faster than is my nose so I don't take chances.

Bndtech Nov 28, 2019 02:42 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Ok, I get both it's irritating to say the least, especially when it shows up Spanish first. I don't speak Spanish, but I am also aware there is a problem. So, I have 3 systems in place and when the alert comes I get all three at the same time. I am soon to unsubscribe the Spanish sites and just keep one that works... so far that is the SB County OEM site.
SB Police and Sheriff are separate but all three post the same information.
Hope this explains some things.

FernaldPoint93108 Nov 28, 2019 03:41 PM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

Not sure why errors are acceptable to the people who run the alert system. They told the whole county to evacuate immediately, in the middle of the night, in 2017.

ChillinGrillin Nov 30, 2019 01:02 AM
Spanish Only Emergency Alerts?

That alert was only in Spanish. Three fire and debris flow alerts I received had a Spanish translation come along 25-30 minutes after the first alert in English. Does anybody remember when the whole county got an active shooter shelter-in-place alert? Good times. Oh wait the SB Sheriff is in charge of emergency alerts, it all makes sense now.