Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole title=
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

Source: Caltrans

The southbound US Highway 101 on-ramp at Turnpike Road has been closed due a sinkhole located between the on-ramp and the right shoulder of the southbound lanes.

Caltrans has begun the process of hiring a contractor for this emergency project which will include work on a drainage culvert 40 feet below the surface of the sinkhole.  It is anticipated this ramp closure will continue for the next several weeks.  Caltrans will provide updates when more details are certain.

Motorists headed southbound may enter US 101 at South Patterson Avenue or State Street. Motorists can expect delays not to exceed 10 minutes.

Caltrans reminds motorists to move over and slow down when driving through highway construction zones.

a-1582823709 Dec 30, 2019 04:33 AM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/travel?wfo=sgx This road condition link was posted by a local on our neighborhood site NextDoor.com I’m uncertain how to sync it with my car’s GPS Navigation System. I spent 40 minutes getting from Vons Hot Springs to my home 3 miles away. Gridlock. Imagine a fire, earthquake or other disaster. What happens? Our emergency responders stay silent.

a-1582823709 Dec 28, 2019 07:48 AM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

On Thursday weather related closures turned a 6 hour trip to Las Vegas into a 16 hour trip. That afternoon and night, GPS's were almost useless, as was Google Maps. Neither showed the trouble spots. I heard Caltrans warning signage was almost non-existent. Another similar storm is due in Sunday. Hopefully road closures will be better advertised for those who have to travel.

biguglystick Dec 28, 2019 10:59 AM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

I have to agree. It took me 5 and a half hours to get home from LA yesterday and I missed a shift at work. Had I known it was that bad I would have stayed an extra day and avoided the mess altoghether. Bummer. Traffic was worse than I've ever seen it, possibly due to the 5 being closed and all those trucks on the 101.

pstarSR Dec 28, 2019 10:42 AM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

or realize that its the holidays, and EVERYONE else is traveling also. so you can take some of the blame on yourselves for traffic. weather related or not.

a-1582823709 Dec 28, 2019 10:29 AM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

Oh gee, what a mess. Your personal trip to sin city was delayed and it is Caltrans fault (you heard). What about reality, highway maintenance funds, acts of nature and all the real causes of this typical problem in an aging infrastructure and a complicated California. Try a bit to be more philosophical and see the greater picture.

a-1582823709 Dec 28, 2019 07:40 PM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

LOCALMATT: Yes. Modoc, too. I feel for APS, also and Salinas etc. and all of the people who live where they have to deal with the now busy busy busy roads where too many vehicles are zooming past -------With so much speedy traffic that it makes it a punishment to try and get out of one's own driveway.

a-1582823709 Dec 27, 2019 06:47 PM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

My heart goes out to all those who live along Foothill between 154 and right on up to the Fire Station at Mission Cyn. I remember when Foothill used to be a quiet, lonely drive. Not anymore.

Shasta Guy Dec 27, 2019 05:29 PM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

Now I know why the on ramp is closed. There seems to be ridiculously bad traffic on SB 101, EB Foothill, and State/Hollister, and 154 right now

EastBeach Dec 27, 2019 07:44 PM
Southbound Turnpike Ramp Closed Due to Sinkhole

I saw all that traffic today in the afternoon and this evening too! Never seen so many cars in SB before. Talked to a guy trying to make his way to Pahrump, NV - I5 and Hwy 14 has snow & ice. So GPS is routing drivers headed for LA/Orange counties onto the 101 and 154. Drivers on Foothill were trying to access the 101 via APS which was a parking lot all the way to the old Jefferson School.