By an edhat reader

Can someone please help us figure out not only if it is better to switch back to SCE for both electricity generation and delivery, or to stay with the City's clean energy delivery plan? We missed the opt out [didn't even realize we had to] and feel that we are being overcharged as most of our usage is after work, etc.

We have tried to call both SCE and the city and are not having much luck at trying to figure this out. It appears that reverting back to SCE as a bundled customer, after the transition period, results in lower per KWH charges than staying on the clean energy plan, which appears to not only charge a higher per KWH rate, but also much higher rates during the "peak" times that we have no choice but to use most of our energy due to our work and other schedules.

Any help on this, figuring out the cheapest option, would be much appreciated. And we aren't interested in a sales pitch for staying with the City's "clean energy". With inflation and high gas, we are simply trying to save money and stay within budget. Thanks so much community members!

mp805 Jul 20, 2022 03:49 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

This is a tough one as everyone's situation is a little different. I opted out of Santa Barbara's Clean energy plan from the start and stayed with SCE. My SCE rates have been close to the same as what I was paying before this whole transition. One more thing and I can't remember who pointed this out...SCE moved many of their customers to a TOU(Time of Use) rate plan from the traditional Tiered rate plan... I made sure I called to stick with the tiered rate plan because I hardly every go outside the first level.

pstarSR Jul 20, 2022 04:28 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

sorry, forgot to mention. My clean energy rates and TOU costs are 25% cheaper than my Tiered rate from SCE.

no problems, no worries, bill was cheaper and still is.

a-1658362277 Jul 20, 2022 05:11 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

PSTARSR- Not sure if you are in the city or county but right now SCE is procuring cleaner energy than 3CE or SB Clean Energy. Also introductory rates were established with both to keep customers from opting out. Those end in late 22 or early 23. Check back then to see if you are still paying 25% less.

Chip of SB Jul 20, 2022 05:51 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

My understanding was that opting out would work out to be less of a rate increase in the long run. However, electric bills are so complicated they are effectively indecipherable. The only reliable way I have found to determine what they charge per kilowatt hour is to take the dollar amount of the bill and divide by the total usage. Beyond that bills are just pages and pages of gibberish that does not state the rate per kwh in any intelligible way, almost like they dont want you to know what it is. If you know anyone who lives in another state, ask them about what they pay for power. Work out what you pay per kwh using my formula above and compare. You’ll be shocked at what a raw deal we are getting.

pstarSR Jul 20, 2022 10:00 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

Chip its really not hard to understand time of use rates. you pay for electricity @ .XX from 8am - 2pm, @.XX from 2pm to 5 pm, @.XX from 5-9pm blah blah blah. its just telling you the times that the price will be. super easy.

I dont need to "ask a buddy" I know, and have worked in the renewables industry, dealing with SCE ties in for solar programs and installations. The taxes are confusing for sure, but the information on what you pay with TOU is beautifully clear. thats why TOU is great.

RHS Jul 20, 2022 06:28 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

I opted out of the clean energy plan as I could not get clear information as to how it was different in the end. I also believe that the creation of a new 'management' bureaucracy cannot be good for costs. It seemed like a scam--a la Enron. After a few months of use it is my understanding from my bills (and they are hard to decipher) that SCE is providing more clean energy for a slightly less cost than the city plan.

pstarSR Jul 20, 2022 10:01 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

no, nothing is ever set in stone unless SCE just goes belly up. The "clean energy" is coming across SCE equipment to you. so they can switch back. its not like they ran new lines for just this power.

Lucky 777 Jul 21, 2022 07:10 AM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

I asked to opt out, they opted me in anyway. I called, I nagged, I finally got switched back "after a mandatory period" and then I didn't get any bill at all from SCE for 6 months, just letters saying they were having billing trouble. So I got hit with a massive bill to make up for the months of no bills, and now they are going to do the same thing with my business. I call, I can't get through to opt out, I write and get no response. I believe it is a boondoggle adding an extra layer of bureaucracy to an already broken system, and here come the brown outs. And just wait until the electric car future gets added to the grid!

Andrea Smith Jul 21, 2022 06:32 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

LUCKY from what I've learned that is because if you immediately opt out, then you are subject to a transition period rate which is much, much higher, for 6 months. So you are being charged more per KWH for those 6 months and they bill you all at once. But there is some option to opt out but not for 6 months so you don't end up on the transition rate.

Stray Jul 21, 2022 07:17 AM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

Before the switchover, we received a letter from SCE outlining the costs for staying put or switching over to the clean energy plan. Our projected costs under the original plan seemed only a few cents more than the new plan. Even so, we kept to the original SCE plan. The result thus far: no significant difference in our electric bills from prior billing cycles. As MP805 notes, every household's use may be slightly different necessitating a different analysis.

Iceberg Jul 21, 2022 10:03 AM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

The SBCE rates track with the SCE rates. If you opt in they just add a small percentage to the SCE rates to be 100% clean energy. If you want to pay the exact SCE rates but still have a percentage of the power come from local and clean energy you can still join SBCE but "opt down." Opt down would be the exact same price as SCE yet you'd be supporting local climate and resilience initiatives.

Andrea Smith Jul 21, 2022 06:30 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

ICEBERG with the opt down option, you say that it would be the same rates as SCE charges for bundled tiered customers? Does that include over peak use times/ Because when I compared the rates, it appears that SCE's are less especially during peak hours, than the City's plan [if you are a bundled tiered customer and not a TOU customer]

Iceberg Jul 25, 2022 12:38 PM
SoCal Edison or City Clean Energy?

Yes my understanding (although you should check with City for your particular rate) is that all SBCE rates track with SCE rates. SCE has a million different rate types so I think they did consolidate rates to track with (so your rate may slightly different but should be very close to the same). Have you seen this informational that explains: https://www.sbcleanenergy.com/_files/ugd/a8dd5c_23a9506175b54c2eab4692bb759e8cf6.pdf