Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

By an edhat reader

Does anyone know what regulations, statutes, or limitations Santa Barbara city has regarding smoking in common areas of apartment complex common areas? Is smoking permitted unconditionally on the campus of a privately-owned apartment building?

Ehdat Jul 24, 2019 09:22 AM
Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

When I was looking for an apartment, the owner was walking us through and showing me the unit, he said to me, "Absolutely no smoking in the unit or on the property grounds" I said, "Great! I'm actually a non smoker who can't stand it" He followed up to say, "the only smoking you can have here is weed" I looked at him dumbfounded, and replied, "I am totally interested in the apartment, sir!" I don't smoke weed, but in all the years living in SB, it's rare to find a cool apartment landlord. He even gives me cash to split my high speed wifi, every month. All you answers are in the comments already, just thought I would share that smoking story.

PitMix Jul 24, 2019 08:05 AM
Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

Check your rental or lease agreement, it has become more common for apartments to be no smoking because it is so hard to get the residual smoke out of the paint and carpet when smokers move out.

a-1575748505 Jul 24, 2019 07:13 AM
Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

There are no regulations/statutes on this at all. It's private property, the government cannot regulate that. It is up to your landlord. If he/she permits it, then it's legal. If they don't permit it, then whoever is smoking in the common areas is breaking rules (and the rule has to be in writing, etc.). This is a private matter that you must take up with the landlord/property owner/property management.

a-1575748505 Jul 23, 2019 06:29 PM
Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

It's been over 50 years since we declared our property a No Smoking Zone. I can still remember the looks on people's faces when we would tell them they couldn't smoke in our yard or home.

a-1575748505 Jul 23, 2019 04:06 PM
Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

The new Santa Barbara smoking ban covers only public areas. You will have to speak with your landlord if you want to stop tenants from smoking in the common area. My advice to you, if the landlord is using some sort of property management company, is to find out your landlord's phone # and go that route. Bartlein and such companies are a joke. They likely won't be of any help to you at all. Also: be sure and get other tenants to back you on this one. The more "voices" the better. I'm not sure what you mean by "campus" unless where you reside is some sort of institution. If you're the smoker, as I hope you are not: PLEASE do yourself and everyone around you a huge favor and quit the cancer sticks.

a-1575748505 Jul 23, 2019 03:31 PM
Smoking Regulations in Apartment Common Areas?

Smoking is permitted in all privately owned spaces as long as the owner permits it.. Smoking is not allowed in areas considered "Open to the public" or publically owned.....