Smoke Free Signage Installed title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

To educate the public about the City’s smoking law, smoke-free signage is currently being installed along sidewalks in commercial areas and parking structures. Smoking is defined to include cigarettes, electronic smoking or “vaping,” andcannabis.

In the Downtown area, the signage will be posted at every block of State Street and side streets, replacing half of the current skateboard enforcement signage. Altogether, the signage plan includes approximately 350 locations in all commercial areas of the City, including bilingual signs on the Eastside and Westside.

Smoke-free areas include sidewalks, paseos, City-owned parking structures and lots, Stearns Wharf, beaches, parks, sports fields, trails, community centers, outdoor recreation facilities, outdoor library areas, and public events and festivals. The next phase of signage in parks and beaches is planned for early 2020.

A public information campaign is also underway with a bilingual mailer and advertising in movie theaters and on social media. Signage and public education are funded by a State grant.

Police Officers, Downtown Ambassadors, Park Rangers, Harbor Patrol Officers are currently enforcing the smoking regulations. Any citations issued are infractions to violator(s) of the ordinance.

To learn more information, visit the City’s web page to watch a video and read frequently asked questions: SantaBarbaraCA.gov/Smoking

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 07:37 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Litter was part of the Tobacco Grant. A grant that was supposed to focus on preventing kids from ever picking up a nasty tobacco habit in the first place. Someone decided that "tapping" would help them get the grant to use the funds for the homeless. "Tapping" won't prevent smoking. "Tapping" won't change behavior. "Tapping" won't prevent litter. But "tapping" got the City a $1,067,000.00 grant to use to appease property and business owners downtown. Fid you know that the City Staff is trying desperately to figure out how effective the Ambassadors are in preventing homeless from loitering on State Street? Does that tell you the Ambassador Program about the homeless or preventing people from using tobacco products? One final thought: Why do Ambassadors walk in pairs up and down State Street to "tap" people on the shoulder? Will a smoker get so irate about the "tap?" Or do they need to travel in pairs for fear of a negative reaction from a homeless person they try to shoe off State Street?

d8vanilla Jul 03, 2019 06:35 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Signs really need to be at eye-level..... I'd never even seen the "No Skateboarding etc" sign, until someone said something about it..... How about they put signs on the tables at the City Parks. The little Park near me, instead of putting the rules sign near the 2 entrances, they put the sign at the exit, going down into the Creek !!!! So, they walk into the Park, sit at the table, smoke, drink alcohol..... They don't even see the sign, unless they are gonna walk down to the Creek !!!

Ahchooo Jul 03, 2019 05:46 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

I support the signage. I suspect a fair number of smokers, including tourists, will follow the law if they are aware of it. Not all smokers are jerks. Does anyone know, do our hotels inform guests of the smoking laws in town?

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 04:11 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Bye bye tourists especially those from other countries. Many high end resorts allow smoking for this very reason. Such a small minded insular place SB is becoming. Not very welcoming. Get the sticks out of your butts. Dang we grew up with people smoking in offices and planes for gosh sakes. No one I know died from second hand smoke.

EastBeach Jul 04, 2019 04:20 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

@4:11 PM - I wouldn't be surprised if you spit in public. My dear neighbor died of lung disease caused by second-hand smoke (from her husband). She was a non-smoker. Back in the day, working in offices that allowed smoking WAS HORRIBLE! And the "no-smoking" sections of airliners back then were a joke. Thank goodness cooler minds have prevailed.

a-1563661109 Jul 04, 2019 01:12 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

@ MTNDRIVER. And yet you still burn firewood, the smoke from which is 10 times worse for you than cigarette smoke and lingers in the air much, much longer.

mtndriver Jul 04, 2019 08:42 AM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Less and less smoking allowed in more and more countries. So glad! I remember being at a music festival in an Irish town in the 80s, and you couldn’t see the musicians for the smoke. Breathing was beyond awful. Now, ahh, the fresh clear air and not a bunch of hacking coughs. No smoking in French or British restaurants or bars/pubs. Signage helps, agree it should be at eye level. Foreign tourists are happy to comply. Smoking kills.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 10:08 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

JUL 03, 2019 06:26 PM>>>>>Have you ever been to Singapore? I have. It's nice. Nice and clean. It makes our downtown area look like a (being kind here)----dump.

sbmh2015 Jul 03, 2019 07:58 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

It was an extreme example on purpose because your argument was extreme. No one is going to not come to Santa Barbara on vacation cause they can't smoke in public. And many many high end resorts are no smoking ! And just because you don't know anyone who died from second hand smoke doesn't mean it does not cause death. Cigarette smoke is number one cause of cancer. Smoke at your property.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 06:24 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Singapore. Great example of a tourist destination for those who like extreme laws. $150 for not flushing a toilet. $6000 for spitting out gum. The SB elite progressives would love it with govt in charge.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 06:26 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Singapore. Great example of a tourist destination for those who like extreme laws. $150 for not flushing a toilet. $6000 for spitting out gum. The SB elite progressives would love it with govt in charge and making people follow the laws.

sbmh2015 Jul 03, 2019 04:24 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Good. Leave if you can't follow the laws. Doesn't hurt the tourism in Singapore or other countries with their laws. There are more people who want no smoking areas and able to walk without smoke in their face.

EricL Jul 03, 2019 03:55 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Why do we waste money and time on laws that don't get enforced? People walk around or hang out smoking in Santa Barbara still. Hell, the city banned skateboarding on State and Chapala decades ago. Yet I still see kids and adults do it every DAY. I don't want our limited police force piddling away their valuable time and resources those laws.

Factotum Jul 03, 2019 06:34 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Valuable police time is already spent on the following Big Four: vagrants, gangs, drug and alcohol. Enforcing no smoking is a public benefit everyone can enjoy. This is far better use of police time than shoving the Big Four through the revolving door over and over again. You call this valuable use of police time? We need a new city council and a new police chief and get serious about this time and money draining Big Four: vagrants, gangs, drugs and alcohol.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 01:02 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Police issue Citations Ambassadors tap shoulders. Which can modify behavior? Only Citations. The City Ambassador program is nothing but a misuse of Prop 56 taxes to cater to the downtown business owners who want the City to push the homeless off of State Street. The City simply found a way to have taxpayers pay to do this under there guise of Tobacco Enforcement. This money would be better served if it was directed at schools where it's been reported that 3 in 5 students smoke or vape. It is a huge epidemic that will have a lifetime of consequences for children whose brains are not developed. Shame on the City.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 10:22 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Smokers are a real drag. (Get it----drag?) When the local theaters put up no smoking signs, I was thrilled. During the opening night screening of "Coal Miner's Daughter" (1980), I was in a downtown theater that was packed tight. I ended up sitting smack dab in the middle of the place, far from any exits. My boyfriend and I had to sit in different rows, the place was so crowded. A guy lit up in front of me. I asked him to please put out his cigarette. He stood up, turned around and raised his fist at me. Things got a bit ugly. Not one person near me spoke up. He eventually stubbed out his cigarette. After the movie, when my boyfriend found out what had taken place, he was looking for the guy so he could give him a good punch in the face. Yes. Ban cigarette smoking in all public places. Put up signs. And people shouldn't be afraid to let smokers know they need to keep their filthy, toxic habit out of public places.

pstarSR Jul 03, 2019 03:19 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

education starts at home. And I dont know about you, but as a kid. I NEVER went to recreation centers. I was downtown....... where the ambassadors are. I also went to movies, So I dont know if anything will make you happy in the end. the "tax dollars" came from the tax placed on cigarettes, so if you dont smoke... it didnt waste any of your money.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 02:30 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

~$17k vs ~$1.05M directed to school officers or enforcement on school property. City is spending money on Junk Mail and ads at movie theaters. How many kids will that reach? Total waste of tax payer funds. If you want a target a new generation to prevent smoking or provide education You don't have Ambassadors patrol the downtown. You go where the kids are: school, recreation centers in other places where kids actually are.

pstarSR Jul 03, 2019 01:43 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

why is that "shame on the city"? the city is responsible for raising and teaching peoples children about this? try parents.

Factotum Jul 03, 2019 12:55 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Social pressure is what finally got most of the non-smoking compliance after the 1965 Surgeon Generals Repot. Social pressure made it very difficult for smokers to find a place to smoke. Time to harvest out the last of them using legal enforcement now. Kick to watch the old movies - everyone is smoking all the time. Hollywood is also part of social pressure.

sbmh2015 Jul 03, 2019 12:44 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

It is time to enforce this law. Smoke in your home if you must. Keep your second hand smoke to yourself and your property. The signs are funded by a grant to the city.

Sagepup Jul 03, 2019 12:39 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Signs , Signs, everywhere is signs, blocking up the scenery and breaking my mind, do this, don't do that cant you read the signs, I have a sign that says Smoking is not a crime :)

sbmh2015 Jul 04, 2019 02:24 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

I brought up the park ranger because one specific ranger absolutely refused, on two separate occasions, to speak to some vagrants who were smoking and drinking in a park. He was sent out by the police and refused to even speak to them and do education on the smoking law. He raised his voice to me both times and told me the police told him not to tell people not to smoke. The last time this happened was about 6 months ago. A different park ranger told me the rude park ranger was in the wrong and should have ticketed the offenders. Now, if I run into that rude park ranger again, I can show him this article. Normally, if I feel it is safe to do so, I do let people know the law and about 75% of the time, they put the cigarette, cigar, vape pen out

a-1563661109 Jul 04, 2019 01:17 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Who needs a park ranger? I was at Shoreline Park a while back and saw a man smoking a cigarette. From a distance, I called out to him, "Did you know there's no smoking in the parks now?" He was a gentleman and immediately put out his cigarette.

sbmh2015 Jul 03, 2019 04:25 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Actually, park rangers have not. They specifically told me they were told not to. But now they will. At least this is my experience

sbmh2015 Jul 03, 2019 12:43 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Time to get rid of your sign ...it is a crime in Santa Barbara. Has been for almost 2 years. It's about time they are going to enforce it

Flicka Jul 03, 2019 12:27 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Works pretty well in Carpinteria. Of course, police do hand out tickets.

Yeti Jul 03, 2019 12:19 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Absolute huge waste of money. Signs or no signs, smokers will still smoke everywhere and leave their butts and trash around as well. So many smokers are absolute pigs with their refuse. I could never understand the mentality of it all. Also very hard for the police to turn attention away from the real crimes happening everywhere else, to stop and harass some smokers who aren't bothering anyone else, though killing themselves very slowwwwwly. Very hard to justify the many thousands of dollars for signs and installation expenses as a result.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 04:10 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Banning vaping LOL! Just like SF _ you can pee, poop, shoot up all you want downtown, in store fronts, but darn that vaping!

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 04:10 PM

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 12:50 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

YETI: I'd like to ask how it is you know secondhand smoke (even from "some smokers") never bothers anyone else? Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. said "Smoking is a slow, sure form of suicide." I am thrilled that these idiot smokers will now have to keep their death wish for themselves at home or in their car. Just keep those car windows rolled up, thank you very much.

a-1563661109 Jul 03, 2019 11:35 AM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

...but no signs like....No Crapping...No Pissing...No Sleeping...No Loitering...No Sitting On Sidewalks...No Buggin' the Sh!t Out of Shoppers for your booze/weed/piercings/body modifications/drugs...

Factotum Jul 03, 2019 12:57 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Those signs too will come it they finally allow legal enforcement against these now common violations. Vagrancy ordinances will come back with proper due process - the action and not the person will be subject to legal prohibition.

Lucky 777 Jul 03, 2019 11:26 AM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

350 SIGNS, AT HOW MUCH EXPENSE PER? I'm going to guess a $100 per sign cost, and an equal amount to install. That would be $70,000. Not that I like being downwind, but they will be ignored and I can think of a few things I'd rather that money was spent on. And will people be fined to recoup the cost? That'll make the tourists even less likely to come back than they are now, strolling through the urban outdoorsmen and the shuttered shops.

a-1563661109 Jul 04, 2019 01:22 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

PSTAR. So there are not only golf hacks but hacking golfers, too?

a-1563661109 Jul 04, 2019 01:23 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

PITMIX. So there are not only golf hacks but hacking golfers, too?

pstarSR Jul 03, 2019 01:46 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

you forgot private property. my understanding is even business parking lots etc. are not part of this( as they are private property ). basically this is a ban for sidewalks/ public parks/ beaches.

pstarSR Jul 03, 2019 01:46 PM

Factotum Jul 03, 2019 12:59 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Oversize vehicle ban is the best thing that happened to this town and its narrow streets in a long, long time.

Factotum Jul 03, 2019 12:58 PM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

This is how I want our tax dollars spent - for the benefit of everyone ; not just the chosen few who fund the elected officials campaigns.

PitMix Jul 03, 2019 11:48 AM
Smoke Free Signage Installed

Lucky, if they don't have signs then they can't enforce, just like that oversize vehicle parking ban. It is my understanding that you can only smoke at bars with smoking patios separated from sidewalks after 10pm, in your car and boat and personal residence, and on the SB Municipal Golf Course.