Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

Skateboarder wanted for a Road Rage incident at Bath and Mission Streets. Reports of an assault on a Motorist in the head.

a-1576413193 Apr 03, 2019 01:13 AM
Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

A week ago I, with my 85-year-old friend (one who is recovering from a broken hip and walks with use of a cane) and my 50-lb dog (on-leash) were walking slowly up that bit of sidewalk toward Victoria St, just north of and behind the Victoria Post Office. We were about 10' from the curb when, no exaggeration, a young guy on a skateboard came rapidly hurtling toward us, jumped the curb and came to an amazingly sudden and impressive halt about 3' from us. My dog, who is by no means a fan of skateboarders, was surprisingly well-behaved-----until the guy on the skateboard started talking back to me. I said, "Get off the sidewalk! You're not supposed to skate here!" The young guy was actually well-mannered about it at first, but then he proceeded to inform me that a police officer had told him it was "okay" to skate downtown, just not on State St. I replied, "That's not true. The officer was mistaken." A bit of back and forth ensued, wherein I mentioned the parameters of downtown off limits to skaters: Sola to Cabrillo, State St and both sides of State including Santa Barbara St, Anacapa St, Chapala St and De La Vina St, where it is illegal for skaters to be on skateboards or for anyone one using inline skates/roller skates. The guy did not believe me. He continued to talk and at this point my dog became agitated and I asked the skater to please move along, which he did---skating off and away down the sidewalk. I do believe what the skater had said about being told what he was doing was okay. I don't think he was making any of it up. It really annoys me no end that our SBPD would give out false information about skaters and the ordinance against them skating downtown. Skaters are not even allowed to skate in the roadway, much less on the sidewalks. I am just happy my geriatric friend wasn't hurt and that my dog kept his cool. And I wish that SBPD would crack down on these skaters before someone is injured for life.

a-1576413193 Apr 03, 2019 06:09 PM
Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

I am here to testify that PD don't always know the law or even care. I have had officers tell me "It's okay for guys to use gasoline leaf blowers" in certain areas of the City. And I'm not talking about the state or county-owned parts of Santa Barbara City, either. Once, I had to enlist the help of a SBPD supervisor in order to have a miscreant gasoline leaf blower user ticketed. The officer on scene gave me such a bunch of grief, including use of intimidation tactics, you would have thought the illegal user was his best friend or relative. Another time an officer said to me, regarding gasoline leaf blower use, "Oh. It's okay. The company has a permit." I had to call in another official to get that one straightened out. What SBPD officers don't know about local laws is often astounding.

PitMix Apr 03, 2019 08:30 AM
Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

Just because he said a cop told him this info, doesn't mean it was true. People will tell all sorts of lies if they think they can win the argument. Let's face it, the simple act of walking on a sidewalk can be dangerous if you run into the wrong person. Keep your head on a swivel, keep the pepper spray handy, and try to keep living your life.

a-1576413193 Apr 03, 2019 08:14 AM
Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

@EHDAT not enforceable how? I know a couple people who have gotten tickets for skating in the no-skate zone. It's not up to the police to decide which part of the law to enforce, shame on any officer who believes this is okay.

Ehdat Apr 03, 2019 06:14 AM
Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

Im glad you were able to handle the skateboarder. The PD is only concentrating their efforts on State Street and may have used a realistic approach to getting a fair compromise in behavior. Actually it is legal on De La Vina sidewalks (the zone only stretches to Chapala on the west) , the PD knows the ordinance the way its signed is not enforceable and can only control the behavoir and educate the intent of the ordinance, hopefully minimizing skating on the more crowded center of State Street. Ultimately, even if the kid was skating he should learn that the pedestrian has the right of way.

Roger Apr 02, 2019 02:51 PM
Skateboarder Wanted for Assault

Skateboarder 20-30 Years old Long Black Hair grey shirt dark pants Oh yea he is a WMA...