Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

By an edhat reader

For the past two weeks, I've noticed these small golf-carts with trailers of equipment being driven all over my neighborhood on the Westside. The women operating them work very hard on the sidewalks, seeming to smooth down bumps and breaks. They work from early in the morning and well past 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and weekends.

The women don't appear to be city employees and there aren't city logos on the carts. Is this some type of special work program or is the city just really proactive all of a sudden?

a-1571793609 Aug 10, 2019 09:01 AM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

I talked with the woman at Harding who said she is grinding the sidewalks smooth around the school to prevent tripping hazards for the kids before they return.

RHS Aug 10, 2019 08:57 AM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

One reason for district elections is to encourage this kind neighborhood (not just State Street) expenditure of city money. It has been happening since the changes in our elections process. Very nice.

a-1571793609 Aug 09, 2019 07:06 PM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

It's funny that I'm reading this right now. I just came from the Westside, near Harding Elementary, and saw one of these ladies in her electric cart. I was wondering what she was up to. I do love Edhat. So informative.

SBAtlien Aug 09, 2019 06:18 PM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

I spoke to the older of the two women doing it. It is a mother and daughter crew. She told me they bid the contract for the entire city and won. She told me it’s a program that they’ve been doing for over a decade but the first time Santa Barbara has opened it up for bidding. Seems like hard work.

sbdme Aug 09, 2019 05:08 PM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

They were in the lower westside a few months back. t]There are some problems with the ground areas. Some areas are too smooth and will be a hazard when it rains.

Ehdat Aug 09, 2019 09:21 AM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

Yes they are contracted to fix the sidewalks for the City. They are fast and more cost effective than using the City crews. I called the City and asked the same question.

a-1571793609 Aug 09, 2019 09:47 AM
Sidewalk Work on the Westside?

Do you know the name of the company? It kinda looks like it might be a prison release program or community service thing.