Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains title=
Jack Cantin (courtesy photo)

Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office

Today the Sheriff’s Office received the KEYT news story that indicated that the remains of Jack Cantin, a 17-year-old who has been missing and presumed dead since the devastating 1/9 Debris Flow in 2018, had been found.

Later today the Sheriff / Coroner’s Office received, and is in the process of reviewing, a one-page “Fast Fact Forensic Report” prepared by a UCSB anthropologist, Dr. Danielle Kurin, that was referenced in today’s news story. In the “Fast Fact” report she opined that the remains “are consistent with those of Jack Cantin,” and that she is “over 90% certain that these remains are those of Jack Cantin.”

Sheriff / Coroner investigators are seeking the full report from Dr. Kurin. Once obtained, it will be reviewed as part of the ongoing investigation. In the meantime, the case of Jack Cantin’s disappearance remains open. We will continue to work closely with the Cantin family on this case, as we have since the day he disappeared.

doulie Jul 23, 2021 10:42 AM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

SACJON - I'm confident you know, for me or anyone else to question the family about this issue would be very inappropriate. I suspect all questions to police will politely go unanswered. Who opened the door to the news media about this issue? IMO we (public) are simply commenting about what has been reported.

a-1627010964 Jul 22, 2021 08:29 PM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

I urge you to read other local stories that don't stress the Sheriff's Department's point of view.
This is not a criticism of Edhat.
This news hit me even harder than I expected.
My condolences and best wishes to the loved ones and friend of Mr. Jack Cantin, and to our community.

JB86 Jul 22, 2021 08:53 PM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

Strange to me that this is a news story before the Sheriff/Coroner has completed the investigation. Why a 'Fast Fact' report rather than the whole thing? Out of respect for the family it seems the information should have been kept confidential until the final Coroner's determination. Who leaked it, and why?

doulie Jul 22, 2021 10:37 PM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

10964 - Per KEYT, "Jack's mother, Kim Cantin, shared the news with NewsChannel 3-12." Per Cantin, "the discovery happened around Memorial Day." What was located that are being reported as "remains?" If what has been reported is accurate, I suspect Cantin and the anthropologist Danielle Currin could have legal liability if they did not immediately report their find to the sheriff. I'm confident law enforcement personnel could have rendered a 100% opinion regarding ID of the remains after their examination. An unusual incident. My condolences to the family & friends.

doulie Jul 23, 2021 07:58 AM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

1942 - I understand there are people that may not agree with the comment written by 9885. I don't agree it was "in very poor taste." This was a news article, not a memorial or an obituary. More importantly, it has not been confirmed by law enforcement whatever remains were discovered are those of the missing family member. If information in the article is accurate, I'd say there are at least a couple points that one might say are "in very poor taste," if not illegal.

Chevy67 Jul 23, 2021 09:17 AM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

It seems like the family hired this anthropologist separately from the sheriff's office? So now the Sheriff coroner has to triple verify before announcing it and looks like the family jumped the gun. That's what I took away from it. Btw, just click the KEYT link in the article above.

Andrea Smith Jul 23, 2021 11:24 AM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

My understanding is that the mom independently hired Kurin to undertake the investigation/work into locating the remains over the last 3 years, likely b/c the police weren't or if they were, she was not satisfied with the results and/or pace, etc. It does bring up questions of legality of digging around looking for remains, etc. I don't think you can just go and do that so I suspect the necessary permits were obtained or not, if not necessary. In any event, it doesn't establish conclusively that these are his remains but with over 90% certainty. I can't imagine who else's remains these would be anyway. Rest in peace.

Alexblue Jul 23, 2021 11:26 AM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

Andrea, I don't really see how it's my business where someone's final resting place is if I don't know them, I didn't ask for that information, you didn't need to provide it. I have great sympathy for the family, they don't need some armchair detective on Edhat making some sort of negative implication towards a survivor of this tragedy.

None. Of. His. Business.

Andrea Smith Jul 23, 2021 05:20 PM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

ALEXBLUE the family disclosed the location for a reason so people could pay their respects if they want to even if they don't know him or the family. This was traumatic for all of us, regardless. There are many even strangers who may want to pay their respects at the gravesite, and say their prayers and that would also help with the family's re-opened grieving process now to see how many even strangers care especially given how young this person was. It's very sad and I see no reason for the anger and hautiness. I hope people do pay their respects if only to help a grieving mother and sister.

OGSB Jul 23, 2021 12:59 PM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

I would think that if anyone found human remains the first call would be to the authorities. What if it wasn't him and they disturbed a crime scene or it was Chumash? Seams a bit sketchy to me. I am glad that their search is finally over and hopefully help them in their grief.

edney Jul 23, 2021 01:05 PM
Sheriff's Office Addresses Story of Newly Found 1/9 Debris Flow Remains

As far as I can tell, they recovered the body on private land.
They have been looking for their son and brother consistently since the mudslide using cadaver dogs and excavation equipment. I am guessing from what they found, near the body, they had a pretty good idea it was Jack.
Probably illegal but the DA should issue a statement saying that is not how we do it and then close it up.

a-1627106368 Jul 23, 2021 10:59 PM

For what it's worth:

"Kim Cantin, Jack’s mother, said her son’s remains were found and recovered around Memorial Day less than a mile from the family’s Hot Springs Road home, which was destroyed.
The news of the discovery was withheld to allow time for lab analysis and the quest to find additional remains, she added.
Cantin said the exact location where Jack’s remains were found is “sacred ground” and will not be revealed."

I may be wrong but it seems some comment writers have only read this edhat article.