Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child title=
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

Source: Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office

The grateful mother whose four-year-old son who locked himself in a bathroom and was helped out by Sheriff's deputies posted a video of the incident on youtube. We appreciate her sharing her video and her story.

pstarSR Oct 13, 2018 04:39 PM
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

wow a happy story turns into a smearing campaign in comments? just let it go, they helped the boy out of a scary situation. They gave him a sticker and some toy cars to calm him down....... OH THE HUMANITY........... I WANT THESE COPS FIRED! heartless bunch in here

Luvaduck Oct 12, 2018 09:53 AM
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

Are there locks that have some sort of "back door" way to unlock them for parents with little kids? Or maybe, what about no lock in the door handle but a very high hook or slider that would be out of reach for anyone not an adult?

a-1544926762 Oct 11, 2018 04:36 PM
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

Someone please explain why the child was given positive attention, a little Deputy Sheriff sticker and, it looks like, Sheriff's toys to "reward" him for locking himself in the bathroom? Doesn't he look old enough to you to follow directions on how to unlock that door? And who pays for the damage to the door? The homeowner's insurance? There is no window to that bathroom? What guarantee was there the child would not be standing directly in the way of the door when it was kicked in? And the Mom videos it all. Did she post this on YouTube to further enforce how "good" it is for kids to misbehave?

a-1544926762 Oct 11, 2018 11:54 AM
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

To 3746: About your experience when you were 5 being locked inside. That happened to me at a department store, 67 years ago. I was 5. I was screaming with fear. My mother was trying to tell me how to unlock the door, but I had already gone into panic mode. Still get anxious even now when in a store or restaurant and lock the bathroom door...always hoping I can unlock it again. I hope this little boy has good memories and remembers the smiling faces of these two wonderful deputies.

a-1544926762 Oct 11, 2018 10:39 AM
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

I am always telling my grandkids not to lock any bathroom doors. I stand guard.....but they often balk and lock them anyway. Just yesterday, the 5 yr. old locked a bathroom door at a local store, and I thought, what if she can't unlock it. I did that to myself when I was 5 and spent two hours banging on the door and crying until someone downstairs finally heard me.

Flicka Oct 11, 2018 09:35 AM
Sheriff's Deputies Kick Down Door to Save Child

Good for the deputies, thanks. What is it about kids locking themselves in a bathroom? My cousin locked us in when we were about 3 or 4. I bit her and she unlocked it. Two years ago a 3 year old granddaughter locked herself in our bathroom, wouldn't answer us or unlock the door. Her Mom had done the same thing about 35 years ago. My husband had a little tool he'd used to get her out. Still had it, and even knew where he put it so he got the granddaughter out.