Photo: Matt Harris

Edhat readers share their below photos of sharks seen off the coast of Santa Claus Beach on Saturday

By Matt Harris

Here are some shark photos from Santa Claus Lane on Saturday. I took them from my phone while paddleboarding. I saw three great white sharks between 5-8 ft.

By an edhat reader

Shark sighting at Santa Claus Beach on Saturday.

Ehdat Apr 26, 2020 10:29 AM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

I can see it now.. governments filling skateparks with sand and chumming the waters at popular beaches

a-1587937702 Apr 26, 2020 02:48 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

"Mr. Vaughan, what we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all." -Jaws

SBRocks Apr 26, 2020 02:06 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

A shark fin goes straight up. A dolphin fin is curved. None the less when you are in the water and you see a fin, it does shake you up a bit.

a-1587938951 Apr 26, 2020 03:09 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

NBC reports it is a shark: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/no-injuries-after-shark-spotted-at-carpinteria-beach/2352154/?_osource=db_npd_nbc_knbc_eml_shr

a-1587939011 Apr 26, 2020 03:10 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

NBC: "A heatwave caused people across Southern California to flee to local beaches Saturday, but a shark sighting caused some visitors to flee.

No one was injured, though members of the United States Coast Guard spotted eight sharks from a helicopter at about 3:15 p.m., according to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office.

After being notified by the Coast Guard, county law enforcement notified all of their parks and beaches about the spotting. However, the Carpinteria Beach was not closed."

Get over it Apr 26, 2020 03:23 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

@:309 Well if NBC says it's so... Pics aren't great, but my many years of being in the water and worrying about sharks say its a dolphin. A shark by a populated COVID-19 beach gets more clicks though. That's our new unbiased news these days.

GeneralTree Apr 26, 2020 08:59 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Years of footage of that area with GW sharks. Need to come out of your shell . It's on youtube - we could help you learn to navigate youtube if you need it just ask.

biguglystick Apr 27, 2020 06:46 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

NO WAY that's a dolphin! Lol! One look at the shape of that fin and there ya go. THAT, my friend, is a shark. Lived on the beach my whole life. Easy to tell.

chico berkeley Apr 26, 2020 03:49 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Yes,there are sharks in the ocean.
I say its a kid with a shark fin on his back,....Or a Dolphin dorsal fin.

a-1587947088 Apr 26, 2020 05:24 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

I don’t doubt that there are sharks off Santa Claus Lane, just as I suspect there are sharks up and down the coast. That being said, I don’t think that is a photo of a shark. Generally, when sharks swim at the surface, you can see both their dorsal and tail fins. If you only see one fin, odds are it is a dolphin.

Surfndve Apr 26, 2020 05:25 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

It was a new species of great white dolphin shark! (Just kidding they are juvi great whites) . If someone can tell me how to post pictures I paddled out with phone and took a few photos of the smaller one

MountainMan4865 Apr 26, 2020 05:56 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

email them to ed@edhat.com and reference the post. I'm sure there's a more streamlined high-tech way, but this is the way I know.

Minibeast Apr 26, 2020 06:32 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

One way to tell is if you see only one dorsal fin. Dolphins swim as a group, submerge, then re-emerge, repeatedly. Has anyone here ever seen just one dolphin swimming offshore and all on its own?

GeneralTree Apr 26, 2020 08:58 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Great whites are all over that area - you tube it. Plenty of drone footage of great whites there. Hold your comments until they are informed.

GeneralTree Apr 26, 2020 09:01 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Lots of great white shark footage on youtube from past years. Definitely a lot of them. Yes, there are dolphins too, but the GW's are actually more prevalent out there than one might think.

mtndriver Apr 27, 2020 09:20 AM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Hmm. Just tuned in to this one. Photos the poster on the paddleboard took are clearly a shark. How could the question of whether something seen in the ocean is a shark or a dolphin possibly become a political question?

chico berkeley Apr 27, 2020 09:30 AM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Sharks are out there ALL THE TIME.
They seem to like that area of coast when small. Be glad they are small or it would be a real problem.
Only see larger ones north of Conception or at the islands.

Cabomark Apr 27, 2020 11:10 AM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Definitely a juvenile great white. Padaro / Santa Claus Lane get numerous juvenile great whites during this time of year - as drone footage, paddle board footage and boaters have shown

a-1588018865 Apr 27, 2020 01:21 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Does anyone know if there are many that frequent Miramar? That's my beach of choice... but maybe not if the sharks like it, too...

a-1588046408 Apr 27, 2020 09:00 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Great photos! But it is obvious the first set is a different animal than the spectacular pics from the paddle boarder. Plus there was a five hour difference in sightings.

Surfndve Apr 28, 2020 12:52 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

It was a different animal but still a shark (I know because I told my house mates to paddle out on my board about an hour after I took the photos of the smaller sharks). You can see them both on the board in the first photo taken about an hour apart. That shark was around 7 feet and was the one the coast guard helicopter started circling while telling people to leave the water. I wish I had a picture of the bigger one I saw earlier (around 8 ft+) as its girth was quite a bit bigger. We should all be super grateful that the small sharks are there as they eat the sting rays and save many many people the horrendous pain of getting whacked by a ray in the surf zone. They don't go for mammals until quite a bit bigger so we all can coexist in peace

Ando43 Apr 28, 2020 08:29 PM
Shark Sighting at Santa Claus Beach

Great photos. We saw a small 8-10' on Sunday at Goleta beach, south end in front of the slew. You could see both the dorsal and tail fin at times. It was chasing bait fish and at one point was 100-150' off shore, very close. Moved out further toward some kayak fishermen later which had them head for the kelp bed then was gone. Super cool to watch especially for our young daughters. Have a great night all!