By edhat reader

What stinks over here in Goleta near the Fairview shopping center? Does anyone else smell the sewer or sulfur scent?

John Wiley Oct 28, 2017 12:06 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

I'd forgotten all about the local history of sulfur smells associated with geo-chemical methane. Interestingly, the smell is really strong near the SBA turnoff from 217 and they're currently drilling there again. We've also noticed large bubbling eruptions in near shore waters and larger than usual streaks of heavy oil on the water from Ellwood out to El Cap and beyond. Maybe the recent olfactory assault isn't related to the treatment plant at all.

goaty Oct 27, 2017 04:40 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

I live near Foothill and La Cumbre and I have been smelling a weird sewer gas smell for quite a while now

bettybeans Oct 27, 2017 03:53 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

It's coming from the area around the slough, not the sewer treatment plant.

420722 Oct 27, 2017 01:19 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

It looks like the down -vote addict is at it again coughcough1984cough..... I can't figure out anything about socalmommy's comment that would be worthy of a down-vote but any who, I'm sure you could report it and I will guarantee that others already have. I think it is due to the heat because it seems to happen when it's super hot for long periods of time. Ok go ahead and down-vote me now :)

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 09:47 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

In reply to 420722, 10/27, 1:19. There are no downvotes for SoCalM. But the Reply button is screwy. I downvoted a lot and I'm no addict; haven't signed into Edhat but once in the past month or more. You and 1984 are just filling the board with useless, sometimes offensive stuff. Tell us something of interest!

1984 Oct 27, 2017 01:56 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

i have no reason to wait let me see if that is mine oops got mixed in a different argument sorry

SoCalMommy Oct 27, 2017 12:50 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Yes! I have been saying all week that it smells like rotten eggs in our office. Are we supposed to report it to anyone? I'm clueless.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 10:08 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

That's weird I live in Goleta but work in Cito, and I don't smell anything in Goleta. But boy that bird refuge is smelling something terrible with this heat.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 09:15 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

If it smells like rotten eggs, it could be another Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) leak like was experienced in Western Goleta about a year ago. I live out there and have heard many different excuses for the stink - farm watering/fertilizing, H2S leaks, the oil seeps, blah blah blah.... wish it would just go away. I'm paying way too much to be breathing in farts (that aren't my own creations) all day!

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 09:42 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Dammit, this was addressed to "1984." Edhat's "Reply" does not work. Sorry for the double post. If you refresh after hitting Send, your post will show. I forgot that.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 09:38 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Please let it go or go away. Also, you might be wrong. I have no dog in this game, but you, not the person you think is your nemesis, are at fault and are disturbing the board with your posts.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 09:39 PM

sacjon Oct 27, 2017 02:20 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

No, the lady who is always "protesting" animal abuse but has African trophy mounts in her mansion and tables covered in zebra hides. "And that's all i got to say about that."

sacjon Oct 27, 2017 01:50 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Gee thanks! I got booted from stinkhawk for posting photos (from her own website) of that hypocrite's mansion which was covered in animal hides. Not going to say more, but yeah.

1984 Oct 27, 2017 01:45 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

some of your posts I remember on noosehawk were outstanding the organizational skills off the charts If i had known it was you Iwould had never said anything from the start,you are right i post mostly for shock value just to get a laugh. Iill try to clean up my act. i will never bother you again

1984 Oct 27, 2017 01:45 PM

sacjon Oct 27, 2017 01:25 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Haha, yeah you caught me.... I got you there, huh?

1984 Oct 27, 2017 01:03 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

have 1000 x along with many other oceans of the world.

1984 Oct 27, 2017 01:03 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

have 1000 x along with many other oceans of the world.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 11:45 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

1984, YOU come out of the water at Sands....

Mesarats Oct 27, 2017 07:18 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

This week the smell from the oil seeps off Coal Oil Point has been really strong, especially in the afternoons when the wind pushes it closer to shore and down the coast. Yesterday it was really strong for awhile at Mesa Lane. The Elwood field is the 2nd largest natural seep in the world and releases about 40 tons of methane a day which is a very large fart. That could be part of it. It is expected to get worse as platforms are decommissioned, especially when the take out the seep tents.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 10:49 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

I agree. People keep wanting to blame the oil seeps, but that is a different smell. The egg "fart" smell is H2S.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 10:41 AM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Except methane by itself is odorless. It's hydrogen sulfide you smell.

Bodyboarder73 Oct 26, 2017 11:38 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Stroke and Hollister reeks like hot poop baked in the sun all day

MountainMan4865 Oct 26, 2017 10:57 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Roger - the wheat litter will stop that. Let us know, we'll pick you up some from Island if you want. It's pretty great.

John Wiley Oct 26, 2017 10:54 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

It's very strong at the airport and along 217, and has been for days. Most likely the sewage treatment plant there, imo. It started right after their open house a while back, has been better/worse since, and the heat wave really cranked it up (which is what we do with car windows and inside air only setting on the a/c when driving in that area).

MountainMan4865 Oct 26, 2017 10:54 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

I thought about calling, but then didn't know who to call. It smelled like an RV (not a hater) dumped its load, or a party of port-a-potties was near by. It smelled more like 'treated' sewage. The heat does weird things.

a-1511266516 Oct 26, 2017 07:48 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Sewer lines back up... it happens. Someone just has to go down into it with a garden hose and get that $#it moving on down the line. Couldn't pay me enough to do that dirty job!! Kudos to the iron gut dud/ettes who do.

a-1511266516 Oct 27, 2017 09:35 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

YES! dang it, EVERY place I've lived, and I chase them away with water! MY cats are indoors. :-)

420722 Oct 26, 2017 06:48 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

Yes mountain man, since this heat started I’ve been smelling all over parts of goleta and Santa Barbara and the people I’m with smell it also. We call it the egg fart. Drove up north today with the windows down and smelled it here and there too. The kids wanted to barf! What is it!!??

MountainMan4865 Oct 26, 2017 05:45 PM
Sewer Smell in Goleta?

I drove West along Cathedral Oaks a little after noon today, and there was definitely a wide spread sewage odor from Fairview past Los Carneros.