Scanner Reports 9-11-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Whenever I find myself as angry as I have been lately an old friend pops into my head, Carl Gaines. Carl was an old roommate I had almost 40 years ago at Newhouse, a sober living house here in Santa Barbara. Around 1984 or so he moved in there, I had already been there a couple years. Back then the rent was cheap and it came with the food, all one could eat. I had a lot of body space to fill. Carl was a professional weight lifter having grown up in Watts, in Los Angeles he escaped the horrors of drugs and gang life when he discovered weight lifting. I had been through it all pretty much after being sent to military school at 12 years of age as rebellious and angry as I was my young years spent on the streets or one institution or another I was always angry, Carl was very Spiritual.
So here I was living in Newhouse just after it moved from the county General Hospital Grounds near the county jail to 227 West Haley, the manager of the house called me into the office one day for a talk. He told me a new man was coming into the house he was a non-smoker who requested a non-smoking room. I smoked 2 packs of Marlboro red a day the soft pack, I carried them in my tee-shirt sleeve my tobacco was fresh and packed, locked and loaded. Everyone in the house-smoked but I agreed not to smoke in the room so this poor guy who needed to live in a sober living space could find Serenity and Peace. They did not tell me he was a Black man and at the time I was kinda racist. Later on that day I walked into my room and there was Carl Gaines, he had huge muscles looked like he could rip a man apart. I looked at him pulled out a Marlboro put it in my mouth lit it sat on my bed took a long pull and blew the smoke in Carl's face. He kinda glared at me the muscles in his face tensing up and he said: "The manager told me you were not going to smoke in the room." "Yea I answered that was before I found out you were a 'n-word,'" only I did not say the n-word, I said the word. He says "Shit I ask for a non-smoking roommate I get the KKK." We were friends from that time on. I put out my cigarette and did not smoke in the room.
After leaving Newhouse whenever I ran into Carl we'd have coffee or dinner. I invited him over for dinner many times he always talked about the Lord. He relied on God for all his needs though he worked. He was a Personal Trainer, he walked the talk of a true Christian he was no phony like many Christians are and any time I was angry about one thing or another he seemed to pop up out of nowhere and tell me to pray. He has been gone now for a few years, a victim of Doctor Diaz although he died of a heart attack. When I discovered he had been a patient of Dr. Diaz who was also my Doctor, I asked Dr. Diaz about him being Carl's Doctor and the doctor said to me, "I think I killed him," which really did not sink in at the time though it did later. Dr. Diaz is doing hard time now in prison. Carl is in Heaven, the other day when my anger was starting to take over I was on Facebook and saw a posting from my Nephew Ricky who is a Weightlifter he spoke of discipline and hard work in a way reminding me of Carl and suddenly Carl's face was in my head for a moment saying "Calm down pray Brother pray." Carl Gaines was a better man than I will ever be. HERE ARE YOUR SCANNER REPORTS.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
Someones having homicidal thoughts in Carpinteria, though I'm not posting where not even the 100 Block I think a lot of people have those thoughts, they are just thoughts they are not killing anyone they are just thinking about it I think about it sometimes...If you do wack someone and I'm not talking about the good way you'll have to clean it up or most likely you'll be caught I'm lazy that is too big of a job for me so there is one big "Con" right there talking about "Pro's and Con's" considering all the things you gotta do to not get caught that kinda makes rubbing someone out not worth it
- Suspicious male checking doorknobs of residences in the 700 Block of West Victoria WMA 40-60 Years of age white shirt, shorts, bicycle helmet, on a bicycle.
- Check the Welfare of a 5150pc Emotionally unstable subject living in the 100 Block of East Micheltorena.
- 487pc Investigation Grand Theft 4000 Block of Calle Real.
- Report of a female yelling "Get off Me!" in the 500 Block of Santa Barbara street.
- Fire Alarms, no Fire McKinley School 315 Loma Alta.
- Brush Fires which became the McMurray Incident in Buellton 200 Acres or so of Vegetation.
- Med call 100 Block of West Figueroa.
- Med call 800 Block of West Sola.
- 3400 Via Barba Vehicle accident Jeep Cherokee vs fence and another vehicle.
- Vegetation Fire North River Road at Wellsona Road San Luis County Ca.
- On a group of subjects Vera Cruz Park.
- Suicidal female with a knife Carrillo at Castillo male knocks a knife out of the female's hand as she was threatening to use it on herself Transport to Cottage Hospital.
- 415pc RoomMates over a theft 600 Block of West Cota street.
- Med Call 400 Block of Por La Mar.
- 314pc Indecent Exposure State at Micheltorena streets.
- Unresponsive Subject Down 300 Block of West Carrillo.
- Road Rage Olive Mill Road Highway 101 North Bound conflict with another driver the suspect got out of his vehicle and punched the victim in the face. Suspect heavy set white male wearing a teal colored hat he ought to go to jail just for the hat. Last seen in the 1400 Block of Jameson on foot he left his Range Rover behind. Detained at Jameson and Eucalyptus and Drunk on to jail.
- Caregiver possibly abusing a patient in the 3400 Block of Richland Drive check the welfare of the patient.
- Non-injury hit and run Southbound Highway 101 Patterson street off ramp.
- 1500 Block of State street male subject yelling that he wants to kill people. Yea but it's against the law
- Vegetation Fire 6500 Block of Dominion Road.
- West Side Santa Barbara Attempt 261pc Rape, Suspect returned to the scene of the crime as he rents a garage next to the home where he attempted to rape the reporting parties wife, SBPD responded don't know the outcome last I heard they were looking for a restraining order.
- Sexual Battery occurred at a Health Club in the 500 Block of Castillo street.
- 242pc Assault on a Security Guard at Cottage Hospital. 4 Other calls holding at Cottage.
- 20002pc Non injury hit and run in the 3700 Block of Modoc.
- Code 40 Drunk disturbing at the 76 Station 200 Block of South Milpas street.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- Premises check 3500 Block of Modoc.
- 911 Hang Up in the 1700 Block of State street someone called 911 then hung up
- 4000 Block of Modoc Vehicle vs Bicyclist major injuries to the bicyclist.
- Park 2 Premises check Skaters Point
- 242pc Assault victim went to the hospital suspect went to jail hopefully sounded like Domestic violence 700 Block of East Haley.
- 1000 Block of Cliff Drive Fire Alarms no fire.
- Suspicious circumstances 200 Block of South Voluntario.
- Vegetation fire 5500 Block of Telephone Road.
- Camper near the Amtrak station.
- Premises check Plaza Del Mar 100 Block of Castillo.
- A resident of the 1700 Block of Villa Ave under the influence of who knows what was trying to get into a grey Honda SUV in that block but he was under the influence so all he could do was try WMA Blue tee shirt and shorts.
- Suspicious circumstances a 70 year old man was spotted on camera going into his neighbors back yard through the front yard for unknown reasons although the reporting party stated that the man has vandalized the yard before in the 1500 Block of San Andres.
- Leaf blower 300 Block of East Cabrillo.
- Suspicious Circumstances SBHS 700 Block of East Anapamu.
- 20002 Non injury hit and run Santa Barbara and Haley streets
- 10851pc Recovery Stolen vehicle 300 Block of East Yanonali
- Premises check East Beach Clark Estate.
- Subject ripped off laundry soap from Rite Aide 35 South Milpas BMA early 50's red back back Southbound on Milpas.
- Plaza Del Mar premises check 2 more times 100 Block of Castillo.
- SBPD on a group near the rest rooms SBHS 700 Block of East Anapamu.
- Drunk refusing to leave a business in the 500 Block of State street.
- Van 10 on foot patrol in the 600 Block of State street.
- Premises check Ortega Park.
Will it's 9/11 today, I remember waking up turning on the TV seeing an airliner crash into the World Trade Center in NYC and thinking it was a movie. When I heard it was real I called Belinda and told her to turn on her TV. Together over the phone we watched America get attacked and we cried, when she came over we got drunk. Two things I miss: America before 9/11/2001 and Belinda...Will have a Good Day and remember all our loved ones. Remember to tell those still here you love them every day because one day they are not going to be here.
Peter, Molly, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tiger, Tomicina, Midnight, Merlin, Lola, PoPo, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Maxwell, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads One, and Two, Poncho, Denny, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Ross, Sherry, Rambo, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Bengie, Rickie, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Mrs Mac Arthur, Lafayette, Ted, Pat, Mavis, Willie, Mark, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, John Havlick, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will see you on FRYday. Later, Roger