Scanner Reports 8-2-17
Well, Fiesta is upon us once again. I used to go every year, but haven't gone now for a few. I miss it. I used to watch the parade every year, even worked as a security guard/bouncer several places in town during Fiesta. Things hurt, I don't move around so well anymore. It's easier to just hang out, though someday I'd like to go. Maybe to just score some good grub. Back in November of 1987 I was just sobering up for the upteenth time and heading back to the Alano Club to stand up for my first 30 days newly sober again. I went to a later meeting so I could hide in the back row; my M.O. I grabbed a cup of coffee and bought a pack of Marlboro red and went into the dimly lit meeting room to stake out a place far away from everyone else, when I saw him. He was sitting at the end of a table, flannel shirt, blue jeans, shit kicking cowboy boots, hair cut up over the ears, glasses. He had a cup a coffee in front of him and a pack of Marlboro reds. I was wearing a flannel shirt, blue jeans, shit kicking boots my hair cut up over the ears, glasses. He looked like Sam Shepard, I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. We were twins, brothers. I sat down next to him we stared at each other a few minutes then shook hands and exchanged names.
After that we hung out together all the time; coffee, meetings, work, that was it. When we were not doing those things, we just hung out and talked. Within a couple weeks, he knew my story. I knew he was a carpet cleaner. He drove an old Ford Econoline van that said Channel Island Chem Dry on it in yellow letters. It was a brown van, he lived on Quinientos on the East Side! I lived on North Voluntario. I dumped everything telling my story about what led up to my drinking. Things I did, I was not afraid to tell people about my police record which started at a young age because I thought the more I shared about myself the more of a chance I had to stay sober. I did not want to drink anymore, or go to jail. I wanted to have a better life.
I did not realize the impact of telling other people that I was homicidal/suicidal, but mostly homicidal, with a big smile on my face, that I had robbed people, hit police officers, was a burglar, got in high speed chases, destroyed a couple police cars (I was a juvenile then, long time ago, SBPD), lived on the street, ate out of trash cans. My juvenile record was pretty intense. As I got older I mellowed, but when I drank alcohol I broke the law. The longer me and John hung out, the more we got to know each other. We were quickly becoming best friends. Then one day he told me there was something he had to tell me but he couldn't just yet. I was wondering what he had to tell me when he started saying, "There's something I have to tell you" a couple times a day. And sometimes when he said it he looked like he was going to cry. He would get kinda emotional.
It started freaking me out until one day I figured out what he was going to tell me and it scared me. He was gay, he was going to tell me he was gay and he was in love with me. I started wondering what I was going to say to him. I'm not gay but "You’re a good friend but I'm not gay, I'm straight, I know there is a guy out there for you, I'm not that guy, BYE!" Then I'd run away. He kept saying "I have to tell you something" with tears in his eyes. I was getting real scared. I'd tell him "I don't want to know". He would say, "You have to know it involves you. I have to tell you." We were in his van usually and I always had my hand on the door handle ready to run. I was really starting to freak out. Finally, one day we were in the van and he says to me "I'm a police officer." I just sat there. “Did you hear me?” he says, “I'm a police officer." I said, "Yea, so what? You’re a police officer. They go to meetings too. Is that what you had to tell me?" He said "Yea" I sighed. He said, "What did you think I was going to tell you?" I told him and we both had a good laugh on that one. He had me going a couple weeks.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
- Someone left their engine running and their Ford Explorer got ripped off in Lompoc.
- Ongoing disturbance, subjects sleeping near Carlitos, and causing problems.
- Check the welfare of the female sleeping on the sidewalk.
- Public accident near Marina 4.
- Subject spotted on a video camera looking through windows in the 1900 block of Mountain Ave. HMA wearing an orange shirt.
- Petty theft investigation, 112 West Cabrillo.
- Solo accident, bicyclist down, Los Positas and Cliff. 14 year old boy injured.
- Theft suspects hanging out at the Chevron Station in the 1100 block of Betteravia.
- Audible alarm, no crime, first block of East Victoria.
- Subject dumping sewage from a motor home in a field on South Blosser in Santa Maria.
- Elderly male named Tom stealing from Starbucks at Marketplace in Goleta.
- Subject screaming at passersby in the 2700 block of DLV.
- Unresponsive subject in a black Smart Car in the 3600 block of State Street.
- Trash truck on fire, 6600 block of Discovery Drive in Goleta.
- Two vehicle accident, injury, Bath and Haley.
- Oven fire reported out, 1100 block of Walnut.
- Medical call, 800 block of East DLG.
- SBSO on a homeless camp, Magnolia at the tracks.
- Vehicle with a child inside rolled out of a driveway and hit a vehicle in the 300 block of West Micheltorena, non-injury as far as I know.
- Reckless Vista bus running red lights, did not catch number of bus.
- Dog not responding in a vehicle in GVCH parking lot. Windows rolled up. Both County Animal Control and SBSO K-9 One showed up. The dog was A-OK.
- Injury accident possible head injury, two injury accident, Arrellaga at Garden.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- I just went to Carl's Junior for lunch, had a little moola. Had three double chili burgers, 2 chicken soft tacos, and a beef taco salad. Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my tummy. Way too much.
- Possible overdose of prescription medication 300 block of Palisades Drive.
- A disagreement over the towing of a vehicle, 600 block of San Pasqual.
- Ill subject with back pain, 500 block of East Foster.
- Report of one shot heard in the area of Micheltorena and San Andres.
- SBPD on two subjects behind 907 State Street.
- Rape investigation, midtown section of Santa Barbara.
- Disturbances, roommates who just can't get along, 1000 block of East Haley.
- Suspicious circumstances, 1300 Roper Way, check the welfare.
- Medical call, leg injury, SBPD on scene, 15 East Gutierrez.
- Illegal burn smoke check, Blazing Saddle Drive in Santa Maria.
- Trespassing at the Anacapa Dive Center, 22 Anacapa Street.
- Medical call at the Starbucks, 100 block of North Fairview, SBSO on scene.
- Traffic stop, Mary 3, 1500 block of Shoreline, a grey Ford Focus, a few minutes later he pulled over a 4-Runner in the 1200 block of Shoreline Drive.
- Disagreement over payment on a taxi, 2100 block of Mountain Drive. I'm a Yellow Cab customer myself, never had a problem. In fact the last time I went to Smart and Final, the driver packed all my things in the cab then took everything to my door. I tipped him a quarter. Just kidding, I paid him double. I'm going to do it again hopefully this week. Yellow Cab is the best in my opinion.
- SBPD on a premise check, 3500 block of Modoc.
- Medical call, DLG at Quarantina Streets, difficulty breathing.
- On two subjects on the RR tracks in the 3500 block of Modoc.
- Counterfeit 50 dollar bill passing at McDonalds, 1150 East Clark in Santa Maria. Suspect is a HFA, 22 years old, wearing a tan cardigan and blue jeans.
- Bicyclist down behind the Vons gas station, 600 block of North H Street.
- Medical call, 2500 block of Mesa School Lane, unconscious subject.
- Reckless two motorcycles in the area of Haley and Voluntario.
Well, Fiesta starts tomorrow. I think I'm going to Siesta right through it. Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Clancy, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Carl, Stan, Kent, Brad, Billy, Rambo, Sherry, Jonathan, C.J., Elmo, Diana, Jim, Magruder, Don, Cory, Edwin, Marty, Cop John, Isabelle, Jerry, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, and Chris willing, we will see you on FRYday. Later, Roger