Scanner Reports 7-10-20
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Once upon a time, I was hitchhiking along route 30 from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Hammond. I did this many times running away from the boys home. I was in my Home Town. It was a Fryday I had had a couple rides and I was somewhere between Warsaw and Valparaiso, home of Orville Redenbacher the Popcorn King of the Midwest. Walking backwards along the road sticking my thumb out for a ride it wasn't long a car pulled over. I ran up to it opened the door I noticed a bible on the seat, the driver was a Black man I hopped right in. I trusted people who carried bibles. I had one myself in my back pocket. I always carried a new testament with me wherever I went. It was my insurance that no harm would come to me out on the road and though trouble had come, sometimes I was still alive. The man was a preacher from Gary, Indiana, I told him I was from Hammond we talked about our day mostly he had visited an old friend in Fort Wayne and was headed home. I told him about the boys home I was in and that I was playing hooky, I ran away all the time whenever I felt Freedom calling me it must be the Gyspy in me as my Grandparents on my Dads side were full-bred Gypsies from Eastern Europe. He asked me if I was hungry and I said "I'm always hungry." He says "There's a truck stop a few miles up the road with a restaurant, I'm hungry too we will go there I'll buy." I say "You don't want to go there. Those Folks are all racist we'll get our ass kicked or worse in there bunch of old rednecks: they hate Hippies and Black Folk too. We'll be there dessert Sir find somewhere else to go." He put his hand on his bible and said in a booming voice "Jesus is more powerful than racism! We will go to the truck stop and have lunch." I thought Were gonna fuckin die.
I was scared shitless, most of route 30 was ok to travel on but just outside of Valpo to Columbia City was Redneck Land. I had a few bad experiences, some places you just don't go. I had learned that young, though I was still hitchhiking and getting into people's cars. The Truck Stop was in sight "Be better if we just found a Burger King, or a McDonalds," I said. Then he said "I'm hungry and I want a good meal, No we will go here" while pulling off the road and into the parking lot. He then repeated himself in that voice "Jesus is more powerful than Racism!" He parked, we got out of the car and walked toward the restaurant, he had his bible under his arm. I opened the door for him and he walked in. The place was packed and full of white people, they were all staring at us, I thought of Billy Jack and wished I was him. We found an open table and sat down, the next table over were several truckers one guy was huge well over 7 feet tall, he kept looking over at us. We sat there for a while with no service, the waitress was not waiting on us, everyone was still staring. The waitress walked by with a pitcher of coffee in her hand and the preacher said "Excuse me but can we get some service?" You could have heard a pin drop complete silence then the big man at the next table said "I wonder if an "N Word" and a Hippie could run without feet? and added, "Why don't you boys just run along before something bad happens?" He spoke in a real deep voice, I knew he meant business. The preacher did not say "Jesus is more powerful than Racism." He got up out of the seat, picked up his bible and made like a Bat out of Hell, I followed. When we got out to the car he said "McDonald's sounds good" "Were lucky we got the Hell outta there in one piece." I added. I was glad he didn't say "Jesus is more powerful than Racism." to the guy. Though I believed then as I do now carrying those bibles is what saved both of us....He dropped me off a few miles down the road and that was the last I ever saw of him......HERE IS YOUR SCANNER REPORTS.
Scanner Reports, Wednesday:
- Med call 1700 Block of State street.
- Med call 1500 Block of San Rafael.
- 415pc Female heard screaming for help 400 Block of 5th street.
- Traffic Hazard wet cement in the roadway highway 217 at the 101.
- Attempt 459 Burglary to a vehicle on Camino Del Remedio.
- StageCoach at Highway 154 campers in vehicles been there for weeks.
- Med call 423 Chapala the Salvation Army.
- SBPD on a group 300 Block of North Milpas street.
- Cat Stolen off a porch by a couple white couple male in his 50's, cat grey short hair couldn't tell if it was Meadow Circle in Carpinteria or Meadow Lane in Orcutt.
- Door to Door panhandler 400 &500 Blocks of East Figueroa.
- Code 2 Med call 900 Block of West Mission.
- Chapala at Mission street a female who was walking with a male coughed in the face of the reporting party What a Pig! Keep your nasty ass breath to yourself Lady! That is considered assault in this day and age and don't be surprised if you get poked in the face doing that sort of thing to someone.
- Premises check Pershing Park.
- SBPD Officer on a detail at Hitchcock and Calle Real.
- Found drugs at I-Hop in Goleta.
- Med call 2000 Block of State street.
- 242pc On North N Street in Lompoc punch in face.
- 242pc Assault 100 Block of East Haley Street.
- Vehicle vs Pedestrian at Lompoc Airport.
- 2 Suspicious subjects in the area 3600 Block of San Publio told the Reporting Party that they were from SCE, Unsure if they were or not SBPD called.
- Dumpster Fire 700 Block of North H Street Lompoc.
- Med call 132 Harbor Way.
- Med Call 200 Block of West Ortega.
- Med call laceration 800 Block of Vine Ave.
Scanner Reports, Thursday:
- Rollover traffic accident highway 101 Southbound at the 154 off ramp in Buellton driver was trapped.
- Injury Traffic Accident 600 San Pascual Vehicle vs bicyclist.
- Subject possibly with a knife Santa Barbara Shores Bluffs, Goleta.
- 300 Block of East Figueroa Transient sleeping on the sidewalk refusing to move for pedestrian traffic after being asked to move he got angry.
- Traumatic injury subject hit in the head with a rock 5100 Block of Thyme Place.
- WMA Transient on a bicycle yelling racial slurs and chasing a subject through the parking lot of Ralphs 100 West Carrillo probably another panhandler.
- 1100 Block of East Cabrillo suspicious circumstances.
- Traffic stop Silver Dodge Ram 100 Block of East Los Olivos
- 23152 Drunk Driver in blue Ford Expedition Pershing Park parking lot driving reckless Oregon Plates. He got pulled over in the hood had warrants went to jail.
- Traffic Accident highway 154 at San Antonio Creek
- Injury traffic accident Islay at State street.
- Probation check 400 Block of Dibblee.
- Drinkers with open containers in the 800 Block of State street.
- Probation check 500 Block of West Sola.
- Rollover traffic accident 101 Northbound 10 miles North of Los Alamos 2 subjects were trapped in the vehicle.
- 1200 Block of Liberty 415 Family.
- Cash and credit cards stolen from a customer at Albertsons 7127 Hollister HMA suspect.
- Check the Welfare 2 young children home alone in the 200 Block of Eucalyptus, R.P. CWS.
- City involved traffic accident at Fire Station 4 on Ontare.
- Fall victim med call CostCo MarketPlace.
Will that is all outta me for now have a great weekend...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Lola, PoPo, Tom Cat, Tomicina, Tiger, Clancy, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Zoey, Liza, Maxwell, Tiny, Andy, FISH HEADS ONE, TWO, AND THREE, Poncho, Denny, Zeke, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Ross, Rambo, Sherry, Eddie, Bambi, Lafayette, Ted, Mark, Willie Mrs MacArthur, Auntie Helen, Pat, Mavis, Bengie, Ricky, David Cox, Po, Firefighter Robert, Cop John, Marty, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Roger, Father Zimmerman, Joseph, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Kona, Crazy Ed, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY!, STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Handcock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, John Havlick, John Prime, Tom Petty, Rich Mullins, Charley Bukowski, Little Mac, Lucky, Bill, John, Marianna, and Chris willing we will see you on MONday-MONday..Later, Roger
Jul 10, 2020 09:22 AM
I love your stories, Roger. Keep 'em coming.
Jul 10, 2020 10:22 AM
As soon as you said, “Once upon a time”, I knew it was going to be enjoyable & it was.
Jul 10, 2020 10:56 AM
Hey Roger - Did you pick up any activity in the old El Rancho parking lot yesterday afternoon (now the Waldorf school and Santa Barbara Montessori)? Two police cars were outside talking to teachers and a neighbor. Curious to know what was going on. The neighbor seemed v. upset.
Jul 10, 2020 11:26 AM
It makes complete sense that you are descended from Romany. A fine heritage. It explains your adventuring.
Jul 10, 2020 12:57 PM
I fell down on Thursday and injured myself trying to get to my computer to write about the guy with the gun call I'm taking it easy for awhile I gashed my leg the bad one and hurt my back I'm listening to the scanner and doing the reports the best I can but I'm taking things easy, real easy. I don't know what was going on at the Waldorf school and Montessori.