Scanner Reports 6-22-20
By Roger the Scanner Guy
I like to scan the news on the internet especially the local stuff. I saw an obituary of someone who looked familiar. I did not think I knew the man personally so I just looked for a second and looked at something else. I read one thing and went to another. The obit popped up again so I looked at it a little closer, the guy was older than me. Boy! He sure looked familiar. I scanned the Obit. He was a firefighter from 1980 to 2010 from Solvang but he worked in Santa Barbara I probably knew him from Station 2. Yea that was it, nice guy. I remembered him, too bad he passed away still young though older than I. I read the Obituary more through I saw his Brothers name Roger Gardner and then I started to cry hard.
It was a hot Summer day in 1981 I was out looking for work on foot. I had taken the bus from town then got off at Storke and Hollister to hit a few places in that area before walking the rest of the way home. I lived in the 7200 Block of Alameda neat D.P.H.S. I moved in with a friend of mine and his wife, I was looking forward to a cold shower it had to be close to a hundred outside. I got to the door pulled out my key put the key in the lock opened it heard a woman yelling so I ran to the source, the bedroom. I opened the door to my friend beating his old lady, he stopped when he saw me. I asked her if she wanted me to call the police and she said "No." I yelled at my friend to hit me instead of her and see what happens, both of them were really weird about the abuse looking at me like I was the abuser. I guess for some people abuse is an accepted part of life. Not for me, I stressed out a bit over the scene in front of me so instead of a cold shower I changed into my running clothes and got the hell outta there. At the time I was in my early 20's and strong. I worked out and kept fit. I was no Mr. Santa Barbara but I was a bit buffed. I got outside and ran hard a little quicker than a jog: Storke/Glen Annie, to Cathedral Oaks to Fairview, and back maybe a few miles. I ran that anger out of me. I was exhausted when I got back sweating hard, breathing harder. I got back to the house grabbed a glass out of the cabinet and poured the water down the hatch. With a filled glass I went into the living room and sat down, my roommate joined me talking to me trying to explain why he beat his wife. I wasn't listening he was pissing me off. I did not know it but I was starting to hyperventilate. I had asthma, born with it. I kinda had to watch the physical activities a few years earlier I suffered a near-fatal heat stroke. I was sitting there listening to this guy getting mad, feeling really hot breathing weird he noticed it and told me to relax trying to help me calm down but I couldn't. I got up and told my roommate I was going to bed and headed to my room, the last thing I remember is opening the door my roommate heard me fall and ran to me. He told me later I was turning blue he called 911 and hammered my chest trying to give me CPR.
Station 17 was the closest Fire Station and Robert Gardner was the Medic-Firefighter who bought me back to life, he rode in the Ambulance with me to GVCH. I was there a few days having had a combo heat stroke-asthma attack the doctor who took care of me found metal in my chest also but it had no bearing on my medical condition though it was a surprise for them they thought I had been shot. The metal was most likely from a high-speed vehicle accident I had been in a couple years earlier. After I got out of the hospital I moved back into Newhouse, I could not live in that abusive environment. A few years later I was living with C.J. a woman I had met in AA, we were pretty serious as a couple and I went to all of their family outings. The family was great I loved them all her parents always took me on long hikes through Malibu Canyon as they lived in Agoura Hills, then we'd go up to her Sisters's house in Santa Maria. Marie was a wonderful cook and I had teeth back then there were huge family get together's like my family back home. Marie was married to Roger Gardner who was the brother of Robert Gardner the firefighter who bought me back though I did not know that until we were invited to a family picnic in Goleta and I recognized Robert. That was the last time I had seen him he was about 40 then. C.J. and I broke it off around 1995 but remained friends, ironically C.J. Saved my life in 2003 after I attempted suicide drinking alcohol and overdosing on my medication. January 18, 2003 was the last time I drank, 11 Months later C.J. Had a heart attack and passed away she was only 42 many times I wanted to throw it all away but stayed sober in her memory. When she passed away she had a kitten no one would take in. Robert Gardner came to that kittens rescue that was the kind of man Robert Gardner was a Rescuer, a Hero he saved lives many lives not just my own. Happy Fathers Day in Heaven Robert.
Scanner Reports, Friday:
- 100 Block of Sola Man Down, Medical call.
- Structure Fire 700 Block of South Lincoln.
- Los Olivos at State street 415pc Subject threatened to stab a Lyft driver in the neck got out of the vehicle last I heard the subject was laying on a sidewalk near by the called was kinda scrambled up like bad eggs.
- The David units were investigating a subject who lives in the 400 Block of West Gutierrez and arrested him for possibly 422pc Criminal Threats.
- Found property an I.D. 26 South Calle Caesar Chavez West Marine.
- Premise check Conserve Fuel on South La Cumbre.
- Traffic Stop 500 Block of Castillo grey Toyota Tacoma.
- 901 East Cabrillo check the welfare of a transient laying on the sidewalk.
- 602pc Camper blocking emergency exit of a medical building in the 3000 Block of DLV.
- Overdose with suspicious circumstances 6600 Block of Del Playa patient covered in blood conscious and compliant and refused medical treatment last heard.
- 415pc Neighbors 400 Block of Anacapa.
- 415pc Domestic Goleta Beach or near SandSpit.
- 245pc &422pc ADW Assault with a deadly weapon, and Criminal threats victim struck and down at Figueroa and Chapala, suspect discovered and arrested in front of Marshalls 900 Block of State street.
- Subject refusing to leave an Amtrak Train car at the Goleta Station 25 South La Patera car 5 of the Train.
- Fire call 2 Females with a dog and a campfire, Mora Mesa near MockingBird Lane.
- Electrical Fire outside one engine Yanonalli at Chapala.-
- Man standing in the intersection of State and La Cumbre wearing a mask hitting himself.
- 242pc Assault PATH 816 Cacique.
- 459pc A subject used an explosive device to break a window at the Carillo Rec Center 100 Block of East Carillo burning the window. Suspect last seen riding a bicycle Eastbound on Carillo with a pink blanket on the handlebars, Black male adult.
- Juveniles jumping off the wharf into the water near Moby Dicks at Stearns wharf.
- 415 Domestic in a white GMC Pickup with camper shell male says female is hitting him both HBD Had been drinking, Marina parking lot 132 Harbor Way.
- Vehicle vs Pole Winchester Canyon at Cathedral Oaks Fire and Medics responded.
- Med call 600 Anacapa Parking Lot 10.
- Med Call Faulding Hotel 15 East Haley.
- Transient on the railroad tracks in Montecito, all I heard he did not get hit as far as I know sounds like it was the fire department requesting the S.O. for a pick up.
Scanner Reports, Saturday:
- Highway 154 at Lakeview vehicle accident 100 feet over the side
- 417pc Female brandishing a crowbar 100 Block of West Cabrillo.
- Med call East Montecito at North Milpas streets.
- 23152 Drunk Driver from 5900 Block of Via Real in Carpinteria to Milpas North on Milpas to an unknown address on Milpas driving under the influence of Heroin and prescription meds white Chevy pick up truck.
- Medical call for an ill subject in a sleeping bad 200 Block of West Canon Perdido.
- Follow up on a criminal case 1800 Block of Cliff Drive.
- Med call 300 Block of West Carrillo.
- Assault victim on the Rincon Bluffs Highway 101 Southbound at Rincon Road.
- 800 Block of East Ocean med call head injury.
- Check the welfare of a subject with a bicycle on the Robinson Bridge Ocean at Swinney.
- Ventura County vehicle accident 8700 Block of Highway 33 2 vehicle accident.
- Report of a male hitting a female Castillo at Carrillo.
- Unknown type medical emergency in a red sedan Highway 101 Northbound at Woodchopper.
- Smashed finger 400 Block of Pioneer.
- 415pc Possible Fight assault 3100 Block of Via Real in Carpinteria.
- Loud Music 400 Block of East Cota.
- Check the Welfare of a female yelling and rolling on the ground Yanolli at Juana Maria.
- Check the Welfare of a subject down in the 5900 Block of Calle Real.
- Fall victim 300 Block of Old Mill Road in a residence.
- Juveniles with water guns shooting passerbys in the 200 Block of State street near the Fish Enterprise.
- Injured hiker at the Davey Brown Trailhead Los Padres forest Figueroa Mountain Road.
- Check the welfare of a female in her 60's in an older blue Ford Explorer with Oregon Plates in the 1400 Block of Gillispe.
- Check the Welfare of a 5150pc WMA in his 50's yelling at passersby near the Rainbow Arches in Cabrillo Ball Field 800 Block of East Cabrillo.
- Med call fall victim back pain 200 Block of Meggs Road.
- Black BMW stopped in the middle of the intersection yelling at 2 skateboarders, Cabrillo at State street never knew BMW's could talk.
- Traumatic Injury at the Best Western in the 5600 Block of Calle Real in a room they did not say what it was.
- 415pc Domestic with minor injuries to the female in a black jeep parked at Rite Aide 35 South Milpas.
- 1800 Block of Bath 242pc between Brothers in an apartment
- 415pc Domestic male choking female 2200 Block of State street.
- Asshole Brandishing a knife at 2 girls Vons 1040 CVR last seen over back fence South of the grocery store.
- 242pc East Side Park 200 Block of North Soledad on the East Side.
- Suicidal male tore up he and his girlfriend's residence on Carpinteria Ave female said the residence was destroyed no address to protect identity of female.
- Mussel Shoals Ocean Rescue all I heard.
- 459pc Audible alarm 316 East Haley Patco Jewelry open door found unknown if there was a burglary.
- Fireworks on Flora Vista.
Scanner Reports, Sunday:
- Fall victim med call 2100 Block of Oak Park Lane.
- Check the Welfare of someone unseen along time in the 400 Block of South Milpas they were OK Just staying home-like a lot of us.
- 417pc Subject brandishing a knife near Foodland 1500 Block of San Andres, HMA Blue shorts, shirt.
- Bohnett Park Premises check.
- Theft of food from Ralphs 5100 Block of Hollister female eating food in store tried to pay with an EBT Card that wasn't hers last seen heading toward Woodys.
- Dog Bite to a juveniles face 3700 Block of Padaro Lane Santa Claus Beach Grill.
- Officer involved shooting 2200 Block of Presker in Santa Maria suspect possibly transported to Cottage hospital via copter 3.
- Loud Music 100 Block of South Salinas.
- Premises check La Mesa Park.
- Transient camp found near Depot Road about 50 feet from the railroad tracks.
- Juvenile runaway cut off his ankle monitor and left Noah's Acreage on West Figueroa.
- Abandoned Toyota Truck with the keys in the ignition for several days on San Jose Road.
- 4000 Block of Foothill Med call.- 23152 Drunk Driver Black Toyota Tundra got on highway 101 Northbound at Olive Mill with fishing equipment.
- 4700 Block of First street WMA carrying a purple bag walking on Mission toward Buellton flipping everyone off I cannot believe someone called the police on this guy...."Karen? Is that You?"
- Premises check Hilton 633 East Cabrillo.
- Shark or Sharks spotted off Montecito near the Coral Casino. Don't they know they are not supposed to be in Montecito?
- Transient on a bicycle throwing objects at vehicles 600 Block of DLV.
- 417pc Subject brandishing a knife 500 Block of State street.
Last week we had a prowler here on the old South Milpas Ranch. There was a prowler looking in the neighbors windows as the neighbors looked back at him, tall thin either black or hispanic male 6 feet tall forgot to post this before. We get campers here once in a while most the time they don't bother us but we don't like prowlers here or peepers I sure hope no one looks in my window and catches me in my moo moo. Will that is all outta me for now Have a Great MONday-MONday...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Tomicina, Tiger, Clancy, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Maxwell, Liza, Zoey, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, FISH HEADS ONE, AND TWO, Poncho, Zeke, Denny, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Eddie, Bambi, Mark, Willie, Lafayette, Ted, Mrs. Macarthur, Auntie Helen, Pat, Mavis, Bengie, Ricky, Marty, Cop John, Firefighter Robert, Po, David Cox, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Roger, Father Zimmerman, Joseph, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Kona, Crazy Ed, Diana, Jim, Ross, Rambo, Sherry, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY!, STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, John Havlick, Little Mac, Lucky, John Prime, Tom Petty, Rich Mullins, Charley Bukowski, Bill, John, Marianne, and Chris Willing we will see you on Happy Humpster Day! Later, Roger