Scanner Reports 4-1-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
A couple years back someone was giving me smack for using the word "Transient" in the Scanner Reports to describe homeless people. I use the word "Transient" because that is how I hear it on the scanner and for the most part I report what I hear. I say for the most part because sometimes I may not hear things exactly the way I thought I did. I'm getting older my hearing isn't what it once was. I never saw anything wrong with saying the word Transient. Anyone, not just homeless folks, can be transient, people staying in hotels, motels, visiting others can be transient. According to a woman named Christine Schanes JD PHD, a contributor to the Huff Post in an article entitled, "Homelessness Myth #7 Oh, No! A Transient!" She says, "Transient is the new "N" word although commonly used, the word transient is often used to disparage homeless people much as the "N" word was used in the past to disparage African American People."
I had heard that the word "Transient is the new "N" Word before." And I wondered where that Bull Manure opinion came from now I know. I call Homeless People Homeless, that is what they are. I post what I hear over the scanner whether it be Homeless people or Transients as far as criminals who break the law especially by Abusing, bullying, hurting others in any way Homeless or Not I have a whole bunch of other names for the most I cannot print here. It is what it is.
So I like to watch old shows on YouTube I have been watching old Police Story reruns and now I have the theme song from the series stuck in my head been there a few days now, If it aien't one song it's another song sooner or later they all drive you crazy...But I love those old reruns from the 70's with the actors I'm familiar with not any of these young whippersnappers I have no idea nor care who they are. Anyway Hair is your Scanner Reports
Scanner Reports, Friday
- Non injury traffic accident DLV at Sola one party Spanish Speaking only.
- Probation check 1100 Block of Cacique.
- Subject involved in Notre Dame School vandalism in custody.
- Med Call Buena Vista Care Center 160 South Patterson.
- Warrant service in the 5800 Block of Manderian in Goleta.
- CARES Transport from 21 East Sola to Cottage code 2 Medics.
- 2 Vehicle accident La Cumbre at State street unknown if injury
- Probation check 100 Block of East Ortega.-
- 15 Verbal argument Victoria at Castillo one subject a male pulled a knife 417pc Brandishing
- 20002 Non injury hit and run suspect Northbound on Bath from Haley street in a Nissan Altimita.
- Suicidal Subject from North County wants to jump from Cold Springs Bridge Hispanic male Adult in an 06 Honda.
- In the 1300 Block of De La Guerra Road a female was refusing to give someone back their dog.
- Male without pants in the 200 Block of West Montecito street.
- Highway 101 Southbound Milpas off ramp traffic accident.
- Premises check 422 North Milpas street.
- SBPD on a subject 2 North Milpas street.
- 415 Unknown type at Path 816 Cacique.
- Man with a Gun to his head in a van 200 Block of Palm Ave he was on a suicide hotline Police responded and after some time he gave up and possibly went into a 72 Hour hold he was transported to Cottage Hospital.
- 3300 Block of Brierwood Court anonymous reporting party reports 8 people at a residence on that street using drugs some of them unconscious.
- Med Call CVS pharmacy 300 Block of North Milpas street.
- 10851 Stolen Auto a Nissan Altima City Lot 7 next to the Library on Anacapa.
- Suspicious subject in a white Ford Explorer in the 3600 Block of San Remo Dumping bodily waste in public.
- Head on traffic accident Ford Expedition hit 2 vehicles in the turning lane Highway 246 at Refugio Road.
- One in Custody in the 1200 Block of Quientos by the Nora Units.
- Grand Theft investigation in the 1100 Block of Crestline.
- Keep the Peace while a subject picks up property in the 2400 Block of DLV.
- 5150 Transport Cottage to PHF.
- Subject refusing to leave the Honor Bar in the 1200 Block of CVR.
- Check the Welfare of a subject standing in traffic holding a Boogie Board in the Castillo UNDERPANTS.
- 415 Fight Room Mates 1000 Block of East Haley.
Scanner Reports, Saturday
- Med call Panic Attack 100 Block of East Clark.
- 415pc Transient female yelling inside Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Suspicious male HNA in Hoodie loitering behind a residence in the 1500 Block of Bath street he was warned the first time did it again and was detained.
- Another female 415pc behind Our Lady of Sorrows Church 21 East Sola.
- 600 Block of West Ortega water main break vehicles blocking.
- Female clothing and personal paperwork found on a driveway in the 3000 Block of Calle Pinon.
- Strong Arm 211 Robbery taken was a bicycle victim was injured suspects were 2 Transients last seen at Pershing Park.
- Premises check McKenzie Park.
- Bicycle theft 102 West Cabrillo black cruiser tilted handle bars gears under the seat taken by HMA 5'9 wearing black clothing.
- 459 Burglary investigation 400 Block of Allen Road.
- Fall victim med call Cabrillo rec center facial injuries.
- Premises check Franklin Center.
- Premises check Vera Cruz Park.
- 3700 Block of Gregory Way over dose.
- SBPD Officer on Highway 101 South of Garden on a pedestrian.
- Male down 800 Block of State street Engine 6 responded.
- 10851 Subaru Outback stolen 800 Block of Del Norte Arizona plates.
- Bikers on Bicycles smoking and drinking on Sterns Wharf 60 of them.
- Vandalism investigation possible room mate involved 500 Block of West Carrillo.
- Female in the Dumpster Smoking Crack 3400 Block of State street. I wonder if she has popsicles up her nose?
- 415 Transient arguing with people 610 State street.
- 415 Screamer in a room disturbing 3505 State street Motel 6.
- Camper Refusing to leave twice 1200 Block of Punta Gorda sounded like they were in someones yard possibly in a trailer park.
- Non injury hit and run 400 Block of East Haley suspect driving a Honda Element continued East on Haley then South on Quarantina.
- Premises check Elings Park.
- Burglary to a residence in the 1100 Block of Mantu Road.
- Then the 2nd time Screaming transient refusing to leave 1200 Block of Punta Gorda.
- 415 Domestic's all around Dinner time 3400 Block of Richland Drive.
- 415 Domestic 1600 Block of Castillo.
- 415 Domestic at the Hilton verbal domestic.
- 100 Block of West Montecito at the Fig tree 2 females fighting suspect female in her 40's wearing a black and grey Nike shirt WFA committed 242pc Assault.
- 242 pc 415pc Family 300 Block of South Salinas Mother hit daughter.
- Highway one at Highway 135 Vehicle accident.
- 300 Block of West Mission 242 Assault between neighbors.
- Bright light coming from the bushes possible homeless camp 1700 Block of Thomas street.
- Suspicious circumstances passenger holding a hammer outside a vehicle window a dark colored Ford Explored South Bound on San Pascual from West Cota.
Scanner Reports, Sunday
- Premises check Franklin School.
- Subject verbalizing that he wants to 187pc kill staff at PHF 315 Camino Del Remido SBSO call.
- 415 Transient female yelling at La Mesa Park.
- Med Call 1200 Block of Mountain View Road.
- Keep the Peace at an Open House in the 100 Block of West Yanonali.
- SBPD on a pedestrian State street at DLV.
- Shoreline at La Marina alcohol overdose.
- Subject male who weighs 200 Pounds and is carrying a big bag yelling at passerbys at Starbucks in the 3900 Block of State street. That is really scary weighs 200 pounds and carries a big bag. I wonder what's in the bag.
- 20002 Non injury hit and run Voluntario and Cacique.
- Cacique foot bridge premises check.
- Be on the LOOKOUT for a panhandler at the Cabrillo off ramp.
- Traumatic injury fall from a horse in the 2900 Block of Padero Lane.
- Sea Urchin sting med call at the Harbor Patrol office.
- Harbor Patrol was on a call out on the water requested SBPD to Marina 3 to assist on a possible 23152 or DUI.
- Early in the morning in the 1700 Block of Anacapa male was knocking on a door then he was laying down kicking the door. I would have opened the door and been bad.-
- There was a vehicle with it's lights on not moving in traffic at West Cota and DLV grey Mitzabeshi.
- Med Call Buena Vista care center 160 South Patterson.
- Transient refusing to leave the Fuel Depot 101 West Carrillo.
- Transient refusing to leave Starbucks 539 State street.
- Female talking to herself on the bench outside Cottage ER.
- Manroe School premises check.
- 2 Vehicle accident 2800 Block of State street.
- SBPD on Foot Patrol from the 400 Block to the 1200 Block of State street.
- 415 Domestic 200 Block of West Alamar.
- Premises check Cleveland School.
Will that is all outta me for now Have a great MONday-MONday...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tiger, Thomicina,Maxwell, Shadow, FREDDIE! Midnight, Merlin, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads One, and Two, Denny Deem, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Pat, Mavis, Bengie, Ricky, Lafayette, Ted, Willie, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, Magruder Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris willing we will pee you on WEDnesday...Later, Roger
Apr 01, 2019 01:16 PM
Several controlled (at least hope so) burns today, and smoke is filling Santa Barbara.
Apr 01, 2019 01:55 PM
I will use "Transient" from now on- I refuse to allow the Politically Correct Language Police tell me what is "acceptable" or not. Dog cr@p is still dog cr@p, no matter how much perfume you put on it... The only way to fight against George Owell's 1984 "new speak" is to refuse to buy in to it.
Apr 02, 2019 07:50 AM
I use Stetson it smells better than dog cr$p..
Apr 01, 2019 02:13 PM
There's a drug epidemic nationwide. Here, too. Twenty years ago, we were told to practice tough love on anyone with a drug problem. "tough love -- promotion of a person's welfare, especially that of an addict, child, or criminal, by enforcing certain constraints on them, or requiring them to take responsibility for their actions." We must do this NOW in Santa Barbara. Don't accept the bad behaviors of transients/addicts. It will only get worse. Thank you, Roger, for pointing at these problems for several years now. You must feel like nobody cares. But, I do.
Apr 01, 2019 03:24 PM
ha ha... the city has a transient bed tax ...numbers that get published... hotels etc...
Apr 02, 2019 07:28 AM
Homeless, transient, vagrant, bum, drifter, down-and-outer, hobo, intinerant, tramp, beggar--all of them have different connotations and apply to some people and not others although their outward appearance may be similar. None of them should be outlawed by PC anymore than every place to eat has to be called Denny's.
Apr 02, 2019 07:29 AM
I there any information about the Notre Dame School? What was done, and who did it?
Apr 02, 2019 07:49 AM
I only heard that someone is in custody nothing about whom they are or what they did exactly If they never say then I think maybe the person is a juvenile. Then again I have heard of disturbance calls at Our Lady of Sorrows too mostly people yelling.
Apr 02, 2019 02:19 PM
People in SB are overly kind to the homeless but I see this beginning to change. Most transients are not from SB and the majority are in their situation due to their life choices or lack thereof. They are increasingly comprised of the 20-something "urban travelers" on permanent vacation with their pit bull. Kindness should not be confused with stupidity. It is kind to give someone help when they need it. It is stupid to offer services to non-local people who make disrespect, legal problems and leaving needles and feces in parks a way of life.