Scanner Reports 3-4-20
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Cops and Rogers, 5 Bucks. I got cut loose from the County Jail overnight and had to walk all the way back to town. I guess that's part of the punishment. I'm new to town so it took a while, I rested nowhere just kept walking. Six miles isn't all that far when you're young, I was 22 then. I accidentally took De La Vina Street instead of State and became a little confused as to where the Sally was in the darkness. Though I got arrested in this Hood several days earlier I was too busy trying to escape to check out the scenery. Standing on a bridge, Brownies Market across the street, I remembered the Sally was behind me and just around the corner. It was 4 am still a couple hours before I could score some oatmeal and powdered milk. I found a place to sit and unrolled my tobacco pack and rolled a smoke. It was Bugler tobacco I got it in county jail of all places they gave you a thing called a Welfare Package in the old days in Santa Barbara County Jail. Package of bugler, matches, toothpaste, toothbrush, pack of Wrigley gum, it was pretty cool they served pretty good food back then too none of this Soy Bull Shit they serve now. We got BBQ Ribs.
One night, I smoked a couple cigarettes went into the Sally, ate a couple bowls of oats. I was headed down to Ortega street to find the Employment office, someone told me I could get day labor there, put some cash in my pocket. I was walking toward the light at Chapala and Haley when a cop car came out of nowheresville and parked in front of me. T.R. got out and motioned me over. "You got out quick, " he said. "I was drunk, ripped off a .50 cent map at County of Santa Barbara, you guys charged me with suspicion of burglary, my P.D. got it down to Petty Theft summery probation 6 months, Ha,ha,ha.." T.R. Did not laugh with me, instead he pulled out a photo of some guy and showed it to me. It was a guy who got released at the same time I did, there was a ride waiting for him they did not offer me a ride so I walked. T.R. Said "They accidentally let this guy out "Did you know where he is by any chance?" I said, "Yea he's in the Sally eating oatmeal we walked back to town together." T.R. pulled out 5 Bucks, said "Thanks." Handed it to me went over to his car and got on the radio. As I walked away I said "SUCKER" Out loud but not loud enough for him to hear. 5 Bucks would get me a nice breakfast, a couple of quarts of beer, smokes, the LA Times a large coffee a toilet stall rental at the Grey Hound station up the street. I could clean up in the sink then go check out the Employment office for spot labor. I looked back at the Sally, there were several police cars in front T.R. knew by now the robber wasn't in the Sally eating Oatmeal. I LIED..Ha,ha,ha.
About an hour after I got to the Grey Hound I walked out the door there across the street in front of the Carillo Hotel was T.R. Standing outside his Black and White a 1979 Chevy Nova shit car no room in the back seat for the crooks he wanted his 5 Bucks back. I said, "No, I spent it besides that you offered it to me and did not say it was for the information I gave you." "The wrong information" he added..."I'm a crook, your a cop you expected me to tell you the truth?" I said as I walked away. This was April the 7th, 1980 Me and T.R. are still friends 40 years later....HERE IS YOUR SCANNER REPORTS.
Scanner Reports, Monday:
- Audible alarm in the 1500 Block of Shoreline in a residence 459pc, no crime.
- Check the Welfare of a female harassed by 2 male subjects in the 1200 Block of State street, female who was harassed possibly trespassing in the Granada Garage.
- Med call 500 Block of West Sola.
- Fire Alarms no fire 100 Block of Nopolitos Way.
- Medical call 800 Block of Shoreline.
- 242pc Assault at SBHS 700 Block of East Anapamu.
- Suspicious subject 100 Block of South Hope BMA or HMA grey sweat pants.
- Male threatening staff at the Sally 423 Chapala
- Subject with warrants wanting to turn himself in 117 East Carrillo at Probation.
- Vandalism to a bathroom lower Shoreline Park 1200 Block of Shoreline.
- Medical Aide with PD response 1001 State street.
- Premises check La Mesa Park.
- Subject having a seizure in the 5900 Block of Encina Road got up and took off before Fire and Medic's got there left aerosol can behind sounds like he was sniffing something.
- Med call 300 Block of West Mission
- Registration violation on a boat at Marina One Harbor Patrol was on it.
- Dude wearing a blue shirt and red backpack reaching out and touching people at State and Victoria that is a good way to lose your hand.
- Premises check Upper Shoreline Park.
- Found property at the Visitors Center Garden street at Cabrillo.
- Premises check Douglas Family Preserve.
- 288pc Investigation at the Police Station Downtown 288pc is Child Molestation.
- Assault in the 4800 Block of Concord,
- 314pc Indecent Investigation at the Police Station.
- Drunk female Eastbound on Yanonali from State street.
- Vehicle vs Pedestrian 800 Block of South Broadway.
- 415pc Elderly male threatening to kill his Brother 200 Block of Cooper Road.
- Med Call 1200 Block of Cacique street
- 242pc Assault 1100 Block of Indio Muerto.
Scanner Reports, Tuesday:
- 1144pc Faulding Hotel 4th floor Rest in Peace.
- Check the Welfare of a drinker in the 1300 Block of Via Carmel
- Suspicious circumstances subject comes home from vacation finds the back door of his residence open in the 1700 Block of De La Vina, Back to Reality.
- Drunk disturbing at the Sally 423 Chapala.
- Non injury accident vehicle smoking, some times it's like that San Andres at Anapamu
- Male in a VW taking pictures of girls near the Goleta Beach bathroom Ted Bundy part 2.
- 200 Block of Bath street vandalism to a building.
- Vehicle stolen near or at 7-11 3430 State street 2005 Block Honda Accord Lojack hits later on in the day on the vehicle in Goleta HMA driving it
- Non injury accident Clark at South Bradley
- AMR Transport GVCH to Cottage
- Med call 100 Block of South Milpas
- South Conception at East Mail North Traffic Accident, North County
- Med call for a subject who stabbed himself on Ravenscroft Drive in Goleta, I bet that hurt.
- 2000 Block of Sherwood Vehicle Accident.
- Medical call 1100 Block of Punta Gorda.
- Tallant at Alamar Traffic Accident, injury
- Injury accident 700 Block of Cliff Drive
- Probation check 200 Block of Quinto
- Bicycle Transport SBPD from Garden and Cabrillo
- Med Call 3700 Block of Modoc
I'm sure not who I used to be 40 Years ago. I walk very slow now and each step hurts, I'm sure TR walks slower now too he is retired. Next time he comes after me I might be able to get away. 4 days before I gave him that false information he chased me a couple blocks and tackled me at Castillo and Haley streets, we both slid into a muddy puddle as it was raining. He held my head toward the mud with his gun at the back of my head and asked me, "Are you the one they call Big Bird?" I laughed and he laughed too. I think of those old memories they make me laugh something we all need to do once in a while. That's my MILPAS UNDERPANTS and I'm sticking to them...Peter, Molly, Belinda, Midnight, Merlin, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Lola, PoPo, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tomicina, Tiger, Shadow, FREDDIE!, Maxwell, Liza, Zoey, Tiny, Andy, Fish Heads One, and Two, Poncho, Denny, Zeke, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J.,Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Ross, Rambo, Sherry, Eddie, Bambi, Mark, Willie, Lafayette, Ted, Pat, Mavis, Bengie, Rickey, Mrs. MacArthur, Auntie Helen, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Roger, Father Zimmerman, Joseph, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY!, STOBE THE HOBO, KFC, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, John Havlick, Little Mac, Tom Petty and Chris Willing we will see you on FRYday. Later, Roger
Mar 05, 2020 07:14 PM
Actually the guy on Encina wasn’t having a seizure, he was just passed out partially in the road. We (people who stopped to check on him) all thought he had maybe fallen and hit his head, or had a stroke, or something. Another woman was trying to wake him up, and he did get up but with a crazed look on his face. I was on the phone with 911 and as soon as he heard me describing what his condition was to the police he ran into the senior living area. 4 of us were standing there confused until we looked down to see a computer dusting spray canister was right where he had just gotten up from.
Mar 05, 2020 10:01 AM
I made that blotter in 1980
Mar 05, 2020 09:57 AM
“Like a bird
On a wire
Like a drunk
In a midnight choir
I have tried
In my way
To be free
Mar 04, 2020 11:20 AM
Thanks for the story!