Scanner Reports 3-22-19
By Roger the Scanner Guy
A couple years back I found my childhood best friend through Facebook, though we did not communicate much because he is deaf it was good to see after all these years. He was doing good and still working. His Mom wanted me to call them so she could be in-between since he could no longer hear, but I had to post something on Edhat I heard over the scanner. By the time I was ready to call they were no longer available. I thought that was really strange as I had only been a couple minutes, no matter there was always another day that was a couple years back. I had to start another account losing track of a few people including his Sister, on top of that I forgot her married name, time went on. A couple days ago while on my Hometown Facebook page I saw his Sisters name and I wrote to her and asked her How was her Brother and his job? She answered that "Dennis had not worked in years that he had gotten in trouble and had charges hanging over his head." I asked what kind of charges? She told me I had to look it up myself she could not explain.
It took some time but I found the charges on a court website in Indiana. Two counts of felony battery, they were serious. We talked a little bit back and forth, their Mother passed away. Denny had been living with his Mother taking care of her. He got into it with one of his neighbors over theft of money and beat him up. I gathered a little more information from her that Denny was an alcoholic with health problems who had been given options to lower the charges but was refusing to do anything to better his situation. I was writing him letters since he did not have a computer and was going to send them out WEDnesday morning when I received an e-mail from his Sister that she had found him dead on Tuesday. I believe the cause of death was alcoholism since she described to me how she found him. Another good person who was part of my life now gone though we had not seen each other since we were kids. I considered him my Brother.
We did some really crazy things when we were young. He was the guy who never stopped for a train when the gates went down. I cannot count the number of times we almost bought it from trains all these years I wondered how he could possibly have timed the crossings and not gotten hit and Wednesday I figured it out. He was pretty much deaf when he was a kid, he could hear a little with the help of hearing aides, later in life he lost his hearing all together so he could not hear the trains but they lived about a hundred feet from the main track and there was another track for slower trains that went pretty much through his back yard. He timed the trains by vibrations of the ground movement as the trains got closer I'm sure there's some math in there somewhere but I suck at that. I cannot figure it any other way it wasn't by sight because many times there were buildings that blocked the tracks almost to the crossings. I never could figure out why Denny loved to beat the train other then for some weird reason he thought it was fun.
Denny rolled the fattest most perfect joint, he was an artist and painted a mural of the stairway to Heaven on his bedroom wall, he had a pet Duck in the families bath tub. He started working real young to this day his car was my favorite car a 1973 Olds Cutlass Supreme. I still love that damn car not only was it a beautiful car it never stalled going over the Rail Road track THANK DOG!!! We had a lot of good times most of them involved drinking. We worked together, fought together, he beat the hell outta me a couple times. One time I took off in one of his cars he was chasing after me on foot as I drove off Funniest damn thing Boy was he pissed off. 1975 Buick LaSabre Station Wagon LOVE those cars. I can't remember if I ever gave him that car back. Though I have not seen him in years I'll miss my Buddy but I'll always have those crazy memories Until one day I see him again. I think I will see all my friends again, thing is everytime someone who had been close to me in my life passes on I have some weird contact. A dream, or I run into someone that knew them, or I run into the person and they are different Happy then sometime soon after Gone. Wow I was meant to run into his Sister on Facebook right near the time he passed away as if he was saying "I love you and I will see you again.".....Rest in Peace Denny Deem. Here is Your Scanner Reports...
Scanner Reports, Wednesday:
- FULL MOON...Med Call for a man down in the bathroom of the Santa Barbara Inn.
- Med Call 20 North Quarantina ill subject.
- 415 Female chasing a male who ripped off her bicycle a green cruiser with a basket around Laguna and DLG streets he is HMA 35 years old wearing a brown hoodie and a white hat.
- 1300 Block of Chino 415 Domestic, verbal.
- 415 Domestic 1100 Block of Punta Gorda boyfiend broke window.
- Code 40 in a vehicle a black jeep 500 Block of Anacapa street.
- SBPD attempt to locate a subject in the 1000 Block of Laguna street.
- AMR Transport PHF to Cottage Hospital.
- Possible structure fire 3000 Block of Foxen canyon Road.
- Overdose 800 Block of Cliff Drive.
- Shoplifter of Ball Caps 800 Block of State street subject lifted his hat off his head and put 2 ball caps in it and back on his head.
- Suicidal 17 year old SBHS.
- Med Call 300 Block of Ellwood Beach Drive.
- Suspicious Circumstances Male Female arguing Highway 101 Northbound on ramp near Garden street check your computer for additional information.
- A student at SBCC got Hydrochloric Acid in their eyes Med Call.
- Transients disturbing at the Oak Park Kiddy pool and in the bathrooms.
- Male subject ripped off two porno magazines from the Adult Book Store in the 200 Block of Anacapa.
- 415pc Transients approaching vehicles Las Positas at Modoc most likely panhandling.
- Missed location but some ducklings were wandering around a Ramada Inn in the county and at least one was hit by a truck it's Spring Time Watch out for those Ducklings.
- 261pc Rape investigation some where on the Mesa
- Leaf blowers 100 Block of Cannon Acres Drive.
- Check the Welfare of a big white bird hit by a car on Hitchcock.
- 3 Gang Types harassing passer by's at the Cacique Foot Bridge.
- 484 Investigation theft Big 5 3900 Block of State street
Scanner Reports, Thursday
- Transient been in Dennys all night refusing to leave in the 3600 Block of State street.
- Illegal camper in front of Winchells 202 North Milpas street.
- Subject down next to a wheelchair needs help getting back in it in the 600 Block of Chapala street.
- Suspicious vehicle SUV with shattered window 300 Block of West Padre.
- Subject trespassing in a garage 300 Block of West Arrellaga.
- Embezzlement investigation 1000 Block of Santa Barbara street.
- Ladder in the slow lane highway 101 North Bound at Milpas street.
- 911 Hang Up 700 of Miramonte no answer on call back.
- Head on accident one vehicle upside down 2 Subjects trapped Highway 101 South, South of Betteravia Road.
- Vehicle vs Bicyclist Highway 101 Off Ramp at Mission street.
- Med Call Alcohol withdrawls at PATH 816 Cacique.
- 261pc Rape investigation at the Police Station.
- Found property 1200 Block of Diana Lane.
- Unresponsive subject SBCC 721 Cliff Drive Med Call.
- Possible trespasser but reported as a burglary in the 200 Block of North Calle Caesar Chavez.
- Med Call ill subject Underpass at Calle Caesar Chavez.
- Med call for an ill subject Golds Gym 3900 Block of State street.
- Old Man Yelling..." 600 Block of State street.
- 594 Vandalism Nomad Village Trailer Park on Calle Real.
- DLV North of Alamar lines down.
- 1300 Block of State street, First Block of East Victoria 415 Domestic violent female slapped and dragged and was unconscious SBPD requested code 3 Fire and Medic's, CSI also responded.Suspect was a WMA 32, Years old wearing all black, riding a black bicycle he had a pony tail.
- Smoke under the bridge at Harbor and Seaward.
- Subject wearing a tan jacket waving a knife around North on Anacapa from Anapamu.
Will Have a Great Weekend...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Clancy, Tiger, Thomicina, Maxwell, Shadow, FREDDIE! Midnight, Merlin, Lola, PoPo, Tiny, Andy, Denny Deem, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Mavis, Pat, Eddie, Bambie, Bengie, Ricky, Lafayette, Ted, Willie Debbie, Ken, Isabelle, Jerry, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Crazy Ed, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will pee you on MONday-MONday..Later, Roger